Notices

urges

Old 07-23-2009, 11:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question urges

Hi all,
I've been having a really tough time with urges lately. I started drinking on the weekends again at the end of May. I've fallen into a major depressive episode, missing work and all that. Last night I found out that I have to go back to work tonight and I bought a six pack. I think I could have been talked out of it. I really don't want to drink at all.

Does anyone here have a sponsor outside of AA?
Old 07-23-2009, 12:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

What would be the purpose of a sponsor outside of AA (or NA)...?

Just curious?
Old 07-23-2009, 12:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear of your return to drinking, and of your depression. I had time off work a couple of times because both, and it was difficult going back.

What specifically would be helpful to you right now?
Old 07-23-2009, 01:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
There's a line in the Big Book, from How It Works, that says "Half-measures availed us nothing". I have to ask too why you'd want a sponsor outside of the program, a sponsor is just a part of AA, there's also meetings, the 12 Steps, service work, fellowship, etc. I have to participate in all those things to maintain my sobriety.

I'm sorry you're struggling mamabin, but I have to admit that if I tried to moderate my drinking and just do it on weekends, before long I'd be drinking on any day that ended in D-A-Y. There's no exceptions for me, to drink is to die, I have to abstain 100%.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Resident grateful guy!

Originally Posted by mamabin View Post
Hi all,
I've been having a really tough time with urges lately. I started drinking on the weekends again at the end of May. I've fallen into a major depressive episode, missing work and all that. Last night I found out that I have to go back to work tonight and I bought a six pack. I think I could have been talked out of it. I really don't want to drink at all.

Does anyone here have a sponsor outside of AA?
One purpose of a sponsor is the use of their knowledge. Why would you want to try to use someone with no experience or knowledge?
Old 07-23-2009, 03:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you're going through this mamabin. It's such a slippery slope. I hope that you feel better.

I am not an AA person, but I always find a lot of inspiration and insight when I come here to SR.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey mamabin

I think of everyone here as my sponsor, whether they know it or not. It's always good to read here, especially if I'm having BS thoughts.

I tried drinking on the weekend earlier in my drinking career - I found it just woke the beast myself. It wasn't long at all before I was back to normal drinking habits.

I think the only way to lessen urges is to not drink at all - they do lessen and fade over time if we don't feed them

D