Notices

for anyone contemplating NA/AA....it helps/ then works!!!

Old 07-23-2009, 12:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

for anyone contemplating NA/AA....it helps/ then works!!!

hi everyone,
I am new to posting to the SR forums. but having searched endlessly for answers here in the past, I felt as if i owed this site my experience in order to help anyone that might be on the fence when it comes to getting clean....

I was an oxy abuser, used it to get through my commute to work, my day at work, my way home from work, and anytime after and between depending on what i had in my stash. Long story short right here, it wasn't worth it, made me insane, and the worst part was coming to terms with the fact that I'm an addict. I did a bunch of things right: went to college and graduated with honors, got a job, and got out out of my parents house. What carried me through this was the terrible chemical oxy. Before I knew it, I needed a high dose of oxy just to get me out of bed. But enough of the war-stories, I knew I bottomed out and that the only way to get me back to my sobriety was to abstain from everything (including weed and benzos ESPECIALLY) as it was those drugs that minimized my withdrawal from oxy leaving me with this fake superpower that I could minimize my pill use on my own terms. Ive been through that countless times, and when my dealer reuped a week or two later, I was back to square one, whether I liked it or not.

I did not like it, and I felt bad that my bad mood was affecting everyone in my family. I went to meetings the day after my last dose, and thought it was a load of horse **** with christian undertones. A little kush would take my edge off, and i would be back to normal. But what I also realized is that at these meetings, nightly ot daily, I managed to keep myself from imibining then and there. The one day at a time practice is starting to make sense. A week ago, I was ready to hop back into manhattan and score. With the progress I've made, i just keep telling myself, "why stop now." Im not gonna let the people in my life down, more importantly, I DONT want to let myself down. Please, if you are a just starting meetings and are skeptical to how they work, just go and you will start feeling better. For me, just being in the company of people that want to be sober is motivating. Im not gonna lie, a couple pills coulds set me in a bad mood now, Why stop now??? I don't have much to say about the step work, but if there is anyone here that just needs answers or testiomony, do not hesistate to contact me. Thanks everyone who has written on this forum prior, it was because of this forum that I developed the courage to come clean with my family, and I am eternally grateful for that...stay clean everyone here, it ACTUALLY does make a difference!
Old 07-23-2009, 12:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you Stonio.

I came back to share my experience too. I found AA works for me and actually makes a difference.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

.............top job.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

congrats =)
Old 07-23-2009, 05:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Good topic.

As drinkers and users we always wanted only what WE wanted, and we wanted it NOW.

People often "don't like" meetings, and that's exactly why they need to go.

We need to get used to doing some things we "don't like".

AA & NA are both miracle programs in my opinion.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Welcome to the SR community.