Notices

Hi Guy's i'm new.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi Guy's i'm new.

Hi Everyone....i have a few questions that are in
my mind right now, and would love feedback and personal experiences....

I have been drinking alcohol for about 1 year now, about 10 to 12 beers a day, everyday..(im a 27 male, and drank since i was 16 till i was about 23 almost everyday, but drank MUCH more plus took high amounts of benzos, but quit for 4 years)...one of these days at work i noticed one of my thumbs the left one, was completely numb, like soemone put anestesia on it, waited a couple days thinking it was a pinched nerve (wich i still think it is), anyways i went to the doctors he got me to do some blood work, well anyways to make a long story short i got some weird readings.....i will tell you guys wich numbers and what type of exams they were but would love to hear of any of you guys have had abnormal blood tests and wich and how high.....please and thasnk you...BTW i am in the porocess of stopping drinkingit's been 24 hours for me so far......please and thank you.

Pascual
Old 07-21-2009, 04:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Welcome to SR Pascual

Congrats on yr day one.

I hope the doctor explained your readings to you. We share our experience but we can't give any kind of medical advice.

I hope you'll consult yr doctor about detox too - it's always best with medical supervision.

D
Old 07-21-2009, 04:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you for your first 24 hours sober!

Dee is right, you need to talk to your dr about your blood tests. We don't give any medical advice.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hi guys thanks......my doctors still have to do some more work......here in canada you can see like 3 diferent doctors with the same sheet of blood work......most agree that it is do to alcohol, i did tell thyem the amount i drink
but i want to know how bad these numbers are.......my ALT is 189.........iron is supposed to be under 300 mine is 1883......my chloresteral levels should be 5.6 mine are 14...................i am wondering how worried i should be.,....ive only been drinking for one year....when i used to drink i drank for like 8 years and WAY more...but thern again...back then i never goit a blood test.....i am just wondering....without trying to scare me and being strraight....how bad are these numbers........

Pascual
Old 07-21-2009, 05:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

welcome to sr......im glad your here.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Heathen

Sorry Pascual, that definitely falls within medical advice so I'm not gonna give it.

Surprisingly, my bloodwork always came back normal..so I have no personal experience to share.

Please talk to your doc(s) about it.

Welcome!

Hopefully this doesn't fall under "advice", it's just definitional info about ALT levels:

ALT and AST are enzymes made in the liver. They are also known as transaminases. The liver uses these enzymes to metabolize amino acids and to make proteins. When liver cells are damaged or dying, ALT and AST leak into the bloodstream. Many different things can cause liver enzymes to rise above normal levels, including:

Viral hepatitis
Excessive alcohol intake/Alcoholic liver disease
Liver inflammation from medications and certain herbs,
Auto-immune hepatitis - a condition where a person's immune system mistakes the liver for an invader and attacks it,
Fatty liver- fat build -up in liver cells, called steatohepatitis when the fatty liver is inflamed
Inherited liver diseases
Liver tumors
Heart failure
ALT (also called alanine aminotransferase or SGPT) is found in the liver only. High levels of ALT in the bloodstream mean that there may be liver inflammation and/or damage. This test cannot predict liver damage or disease progression. It is simply a direct measurement of the amount of ALT in the person's bloodstream at the time of the test. The normal range of ALT levels is between 5 IU/L to 60 IU/L (International Units per Liter). ALT levels in people with HCV often rise and fall over time, so additional testing such as HCV RNA, HCV genotyping and a liver biopsy may be needed to help determine the cause and extent of liver damage.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Welcome Pasqual!
I am glad you found us
Old 07-21-2009, 06:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Welcome to the SR community.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome!