Notices

Class of July 2009

Old 07-28-2009, 11:03 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Hey all~
I'm sliding in at the last minute with 7/28/09 as the new date. I was part of the July 08 clan, but I skipped a few *classes* and put myself back a year---lol.
Welcome to all and thanks (in advance) for having me here.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:36 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Read another post just now, mentioning the effect on alcohol on the liver and liver enzyme count...i don't know why i know this, maybe my biology teacher made an impact;-) The biggest killers for alcoholism are heart attack and stroke, the only reason that this is not seen as a big a deal as CIRRHOSIS (gasp) is because the cause of death on the death certificate is written as heart attack/stroke not heart attack/stroke because of drinking too much/alcoholism. It's amazing how little priority the other organs get with regard to drinking and possible complications. And the brain, i sit with my 46 yr old, now sober, alcoholic friend most days for a coffee, get's stuck on remembering a word every couple of sentences...what's that old age?! I think not!

I guess the next generations may get more education on the subject of drinking and the dangers, much like smoking i guess, when the government figures out it is costing them more money to treat the problem than the taxes they make on the products they will try and do something about it...maybe it will never happen for drinking, who knows?

Anyways another day, another film to watch;-)
Old 07-29-2009, 04:48 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

July 1st/09 was the first day I surrenedered. I have had a couple of bumps since (not huge) but picked myself up quickly and back on my path.

We woll overcome!!!!

Liz
Old 07-29-2009, 06:25 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Good morning to all, Good job everyone. Soon you will be helping out the August class. Keep reading and posting it does help.

About the intervention show if you can watch the episode Brett. I think everyone who is fighting with an alcohol problem should watch it. I wish my husband would watch it but those actively drinking don't want anything to do with a show called intervention.

Yeah- I agree about the next generation getting more education on alcohol. I was in my 40's when my drinking career started. I saw alcoholics all my life but was unaware that it could happen to me. I just thought it was my turn to party. I raised my kids and I felt like I missed something.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:51 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Went to see my spiritual counselor today, and a GA meeeting, both were cool and helped a great deal as they always do. What am i doing diffferent this time, i'm listening as in listening and shutting my mouth when people speak...hanging off the words of the right people to listen to...who would have thought God gave me 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason?!
Old 07-29-2009, 01:37 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Philly View Post

About the intervention show if you can watch the episode Brett.
Yes that one is so sad. I don't relate to it personally because I have no kids and my husband doesn't care if I drink or not. I am agoraphobic so I don't leave the house that much, so getting in trouble from going out drinking is a thing of the past. I don't want to drink anymore because the anxiety is crippling on top of the phobia.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:29 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

I just wanted to add this to my last post, how do i say this:

'I' did not want to go to the counselor or to the GA meeting today! But I went, the reason being is that I understand now that the times you do not want to go or think you do not need to go, are going to be the most important meetings/sessions. I also understand that 'I' does not want me to go to these meetings/sessions!

I've rewritten this 4 times now...can't put it into words?!

It is ok to have thoughts and feelings that may cause me physical symptoms like anger, sadness etc.
I don't have to fight these feelings/thoughts, it is ok for me to let them happen and to accept them

Aggghhh! Ok, it's like 2 people in one, the one is moaning, self pitying, talking about all the negative things of the past and what may be. The other is just there, he can hear the other one but just lets him carry on, he doesn't get involved in the one-sided conversation and doesn't comment...he just gets on with whatever he is doing at that time. That's how i am inside sometimes now, the one who is moaning etc can carry on and it's ok to hear him and i let him carry on until he has run out of steam, it may be minutes, it may be hours, but eventually he will get fed up and stop. As soon as i get involved with him he has got me and then he can keep going for days!

Oh man i hope thats makes sense lol
Old 07-29-2009, 05:05 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Well my July 17th date is still holding. I have four days off so I need to make sure that I keep coming to the boards and find other things to keep myself occupied.

It is great to hear all of the other Julybriety members talking about their individual paths to sobriety. It seems funny that everyone has a slightly different path that they are taking. Theses forums seem to be the intersection where we all meet to collectively work to achieve sobriety. For me anyway, success will only come with help.

This seems like a great class and I am going to work hard to stay a member of it.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:20 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Hey everyone,
today was a way way better day. In fact, the anxiety over my last binge is almost gone, I'm starting to feel more like my happy/bouncy self. However, I am starting to see a pattern emerge in my drinking behaviour. Every time my anxiety is high for a few days after the binge, I will swear I am quitting drinking and then i feel normal/happy again, and I totally forget how crappy I felt about drinking and I'm ready to go on another black out binge. Does anyone else get like this?

I'm a little nervous for tomorrow/friday/saturday/sunday because so far I haven't made any concrete plans to ensure that I won't go out drinking.. but hopefully something will come up.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:27 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Sunshine, I'm so glad you are feeling better. Time heals all wounds, or at least makes them fade into the background. The cycle you described is very, very familiar to me and I think to many people on these boards. Let's try not to give into that feeling and support each other as we get more days of sobriety behind us, okay?

Welcome to all those who justed joined in here, too!

Laura
Old 07-29-2009, 08:38 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

I'm a little late getting here but after a slip-up my new and final sober date is July 22, 2009. I feel much more motivated to quit for good. Have recognized my triggers and am coming up with new ways to handle them! Here's toasting ginger ale to the class of July 2009!
Old 07-30-2009, 05:31 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  
DJ1

Good morning everyone I'm so pleased to read all your posts & that everyone is hanging in !!
Its day 18 for me & I just wished I could sleep more than 2 hours is everyone else in the same boat after day 5 I had a few great nights sleep now I am havign the worst trouble staying a sleep if any one has any good tips let me know other than taking a pill to sleep !!
Thanks to everyone have a great day
Old 07-30-2009, 01:14 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

What a day!!!!!!!!!!!

Got up and waited for my friend as we were taking my car up to sell today and get the cash. My friend Shaun rings about the flat i am staying in, apparently the agent wants to bring someone round to view it for rental, so had to ring them and explain that i want to rent it etc so all good but made me a bit late. Got to car and put stuff in bags, hottest day this year btw and it is hot! Take the stuff back to flat and i see the owner of the bar i used to drink in for 5 years standing by the lifts, i just asked what are you doing here and he said something about work, shook hands and bye! Oh i used to be his friend but i did some awful things in order to get barred from his bar a couple of years ago as i thought this would help my drinking, it didn't i drank even more.

So we are off, late! Have to drive the one hour there without coffee break as planned, road works too! The buyer rings and says he will be late. Counting the money in the car which must have been a million degrees and miscounted 3 times but alll good. So we are going to lunch which involves walking about a mile, we could see where we were going to across the road but it is a motorway! My friend is going on and on and on and on about what people are wearing, what cars are crap, etcetc...at this point im just ignoring him.

Then we get to TGI Fridays for lunch. I forgot to mention that this place is called Puerto Banus and is one of my old stomping grounds in the bad old days. So a tonne of memories come from nowhere, rolling in over and over...all bad! The meal was horrible, then we got a taxi drive back home. By the time i hit Gibraltar i just said to my friend i need to go and lie down and did....for 2 hours!

The normal scenario would be to get absolutely **** faced, but as i did not think about drinking even once, it wasn't an option i had to take all this emotional stuff and own it, you know like normal people!

I made my way tonight to the AA meeting, as soon as i got there i was thinking thank God for AA, looking at the clock in the meeting wishing it to slow down a bit, then we went for coffees and peace again was once restored...i ******* love my AA meetings! There are a few more people coming to our Saturday meeting up the coast so we have a full car load now....lovely ******* jubly! And tomorrow at 3pm is counselling hoo haa!

Starting step 4 tomorrow...gulp;-)
Old 07-30-2009, 01:48 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Wow, you sound so upbeat yeahgr8!!! Nice!

I just applied insecticide to my lawn (fun stuff), have bills to do now and laundry, packing, etc. as I am getting ready for a vacation. It'll be a while until you hear from me again (mid August!) since I don't think I'll be checking in much here over my vacation. But I hope everyone keeps at it and I will "see" you all in August!!!

Laura
Old 07-30-2009, 02:05 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Stay in our club Laura and have a great time on holiday!!!!!

Cliff
Old 07-30-2009, 03:26 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm now ten days sober and still having a lot of anxiety. I'm leaving tomorrow evening to go visit my eldest kid and her family for nine days. I would rather have just stayed home but college kid insisted I go. So will be gone for nine days starting tomorrow. Asking for prayers and positive thoughts for a safe flight there and home again. Flying never used to make me nervous but it does now...
Old 07-30-2009, 03:38 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Safe travels, Least. Stay well!
Old 07-30-2009, 03:48 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Administrator

have a happy safe and sober break Laura and least

D
Old 07-30-2009, 10:18 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Day 4 has started....looking forward to continuing my path to recovery.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:17 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Hey least, i hope this flips around for you when you get there and enjoy the holiday! I hate flying but it necessary sometimes. Last time i went to fly i was in a plane at Barcelona airport about to taxi off to the runway, call comes over saying sorry but we have identified electrical problems that means we need you all to switch planes, please wait and get on the coach provided to the new plane. Well you can imagine, that was it for me, i said there is no way i am getting on another of your ****** planes and demanded to be returned to the airport and got the 7 hour train. My friend who i was flying with called me a ***** and she got there in the new plane no probs, what a stupid fear but i can't seem to help it lol I looked into getting on one of those 2 day fear of flying courses but i had other things to do, maybe in sobriety hey!