SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Class of July 2009 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/180906-class-july-2009-a.html)

yeahgr8 08-12-2009 07:43 AM

Just got back from coffee with a friend from AA, very interesting topics covered as usual:-)
Got GA tonight...man i love those meetings, so upbeat it's amazing...really looking froward to it...although no-one goes for coffee after...in time it'll happen, it's opnly be going in Gibraltar for 12 weeks now!

How is everyone else, all ok? What's happening?

Oh yeah it's day 30 today, not really too bothered about days this time though, just thought i would say for everyone else:-)

DJ1 08-12-2009 08:36 AM

Hi All
congrats on the day 30 :) I know what you mean about numbers I had such big plans for day 30 !!

Well as you know my day 30 was yesterday pleased to say now on to another day but my goal was not achieved I knew I could not make
a 5:30 meeting but then all hell broke out at work & I never got back till just gone 8:00 so it was not meant to be yesterday
so I will be starting my AA meetings another day this week, not making any particular plans as that never works just going to go in then I’ll report back how it went

But life is good today LOL
everyone thanks for the support :) keep on going day at a time ( sounds corny but true )

yeahgr8 08-12-2009 08:40 AM

Hi DJ, i had a bit of a butterfly in the gut when you posted that your goals had not been met, was glad to read you were talking about an AA meeting! Great stuff you are still going to go, yeah one day at a time defo! Good to hear you are well:-)

yeahgr8 08-13-2009 12:57 PM

Sunburnt on my forehead of all places lol. Met up with a friend who is in the army today, stayed at pool for like 3 hours!!! Then lunch. He is ripped to hell, 6 pack the whole lot...totally different guy!

Good meeting tonight although was too knackered to really enjoy it i think?!

Another great day:-)

DJ1 08-14-2009 05:35 AM

Good morning

Well life is looking up day after day went for dinner last night never even thought about the booze! had a lovely dinner
but Yuck I hate diet coke I wish they had diet something else LOL

I've taken up running again over a month now & back on my WW diet but I have to say everyone else has lost weight
but me not so much maybe 4lbs :(
I do have to say that I find concentrating on anything for any length of time has become a challenge hope that gets
sorted soon I mean real soooooooooon

yeaghr didn't mean to scare you their ! you’re doing good I see I like the sound of your day by the pool with a guy with a ripped body ;)

stay on course everyone have a great day

yeahgr8 08-14-2009 01:11 PM

DJ lol my day was strictly platonic;-)

I have had a weird day today, went to counselor this afternoon and had a chat with him, i have 'feelings' coming up that i can't connect with anything from the past...i compared it to playing a game where you have 10 levels and 9 are locked, now they are all open so choose a level to play...that's whats happening, like anything is possible, go anywhere, do anything etc...whereas before everything was doom and gloom and i felt trapped...it's amazing:-)

Anyways not dwelling on that too much, still very early in recovery and all this is to come naturally and i'll let it come as and when! Tomorrow am meeting a new friend for swimming and pool then meeting in afternoon...cool:-)

Beginning to like the person in the mirror a little now and, so i am told, there is lots more to follow. We had an interesting convo at the counselor and he said i can see where you are going, he's worked in treatment (alchies/addicts), so i demanded to know where lol He said you will start having gut instincts (HP/God) and will begin to trust yourself (trsu your HP/God)...that blew me away a bit as i had said to him 5 weeks ago that i wouldn't trust myself to go for a loaf of bread lol He's a brilliant guy and i am very lucky i was led to him, the handy thing is he actually knows what the hell he is talking about with regard to my addicition/disease...i knew i was onto a winner when i first met him and he said i can help you from the cognitive base to help you break the addicition cycle but i cannot ever understand fully what it is to be an alcoholic, you need to go to AA for that...what a find hey? I was a very different person 5 weeks ago, but yet i did 5 months not drinking last October, going to counselor twice a week, antabuse, anti depressants and didn't change at all...the only difference this time is my counselor and AA, i'm going to take a stab in the dark here...maybe it's working the steps and AA...whatever it is it's a miracle!

thirtybubba 08-14-2009 05:40 PM

Wow, Yeahgr8, sounds like you got a really good counselor there. I tried counseling once, for anger though, it did not work out like that. I was essentially told that I should learn to speak standard English and act, well, more 'mainstream suburban' (I did not live near a suburb at the time) and I would be very successful. Oh, and it was all some boy's fault. Never was sure what that all had to do with my anger, as I was single... Never did go back either...

Now if only they would keep a list somewhere of all those kind of counselors like you found. I might go back, d- sure I could use some sort of guidance in figuring myself out. Day by day, I'm starting to wonder who I really am anyways.

ANGELINA243 08-14-2009 08:20 PM

Finishing up day 18 here......man, this week has been tough....but I am still "clutching" onto sobriety with all I got. Trying to do 90/90...(90 meetings/90 days)...NA meeting thing....so far, it seems to be working. It allows the craziness in my head to escape (settle down) for a little bit...enough to find relief without picking up. I am sober when I arrive at the meeting and when I leave there, the desire to use isn't there anymore. Very cool! :c033:

yeahgr8 08-15-2009 12:26 AM

You said it thirty bubba! I have seen a few over the years, a couple were just...well...awful! I know now that i wasn't ready to do anything about this when i saw one when i was early twenties. I saw the guy 6 times, he suggested i gave up alcohol and smoked pot instead...wtf!!! Trial and error i think, you got to see a few to find the good one and then stick to them:-) I think seriously though AA made the difference this time, got to get rid of that i'm different and i'm the only one thing, that's a killer by itself! Not knowing who you are is part of the process of getting sober my sponsor and counselor said so it's good that you are on that journey. How you doing otherwise btw?

Angelina you are doing great! My friend in Barcelona suggested 90 in 90 for the simple reason that she did it and she swears that if she hadn't done it she would probably still be out there using, that serious. She said she had to do it to get AA and for the miracle to happen. Of course i ignored her advice, and went the easier route of rehab as per...so maximum respect to you! She's 3 years plus sober and one of the most sorted people i have ever:-) I get to 4 meetings a week, if there were one a day here i would go too so i am a little jealous;-) Hell of a thing that desire going isn't it, i guess it will be waiting for us if we stop working AA and pick up though...don't want that ******* obsession back ever...

DJ1 08-15-2009 06:13 AM

Hi All

nice to see everyone posting & doing well,

nothing much new with me always enjoy reading your posts yeahgr I'm originally from the UK but now in Sunny FL for the last 19 years I think having the sun shine on your everyday helps big time :)

Angelina congrats on your days of sober it is hard but well worth the benefits day 34 & I am starting to feel like my old self don't get me wrong have to work on all the problems that got me to this point but you will start to see a light at the end of the tunnel :)

thirtybubba & yeahgr so you both do or have done counseling as well as AA OK another one on my list mind you the councilors over here I have been to before & I walked out saying they are crazy not me LOL I' ll keep searching

Well I'm out work all day my day off tomorrow :)
take care all

tabata 08-15-2009 06:30 AM

7/21/09

ANGELINA243 08-15-2009 06:41 AM

Welcome tabata! :wavey: Glad you are here.

thirtybubba 08-16-2009 12:16 AM

Hey July 09!

I'm doing good, Yeahgr8, thanks for asking. I was depressed yesterday, I think, lethargic and nothing made me happy. I got through the day with no problem, but no joy either, which worried me. Today I am able to smile at things I normally smile at, so I guess I'll be okay there.

Yesterday the withdrawal symptoms from my messing up on Tuesday kicked in, but they were less than usual, I guess because I caught myself so fast. Thanks to all on SR for that. That NEVER would have happened in the past, and I cannot stress that enough. :)

And last night near midnight I erased an email by accident and had to breathe veeerrrryyy slowly in order to not break my house. (Walls first) That was a slight overreaction, ;) , but I got over it somehow--willpower mostly, it was only a couple hours. My willpower can go that long.

Today, I'm back to less symptoms, enough that I started slowing down the clonidine again (4 to 3 yesterday to 5 hours between today), and that's making me happy. I just don't like pills. I know it's illogical, alcohol controlled my life how many years, but I don't like/trust pills.

Dont' know about my mood, I've been bored as h- all day long. Nothing much to do here. Next weekend I gotta figure out a way to get out for at least a few hours.

Yesterday I met a guy my dr knows who's with AA. We went to a Starbucks and talked for a few hours. He gave me some numbers to call, and I've been trying ever since. Tonight at I got hold of one lady, and an hour later another one called me back and I got a ride to the meeting tomorrow.

Feeling a lot better about this sobriety thing, although I still got a lot of doubts on my ability to maintain long term. H- I'm from the MTV generation. We 'invented' ADHD... Oh well. I DID NOT drink today, although I did think of it. Nothing to do is nothing to do... so I did nothing in response.

yeahgr8 08-16-2009 12:26 AM

Hahaha i like the MTV generation thing! The adhd thing actually is going for me a little and i know totally what you mean believe me! I have taken it to an extreme where not only did i not hold down a job for a year, a partner, but even moved COUNTRY every year and changed career twice lol!

I'm really happpy about the AA contact and you going to a meeting:-) Yeah you have to want to make the choice not to drink anymore but if you stick around the meetings and make contacts, be friendly and open you will WANT to stay sober because what they are basically going to help you achieve is a fresh start with a blank piece of paper for the rest of your life instead of the **** stained, torn one we are carrying around at the moment...

Statistics arre not in our favour, if we do make it through we are in the minority so let's be different to the crowd and get sober...good luck mi amigo!

Hello tabata what you up to? Hows it going so far? Good to have you hear too:-)

ANGELINA243 08-17-2009 01:43 AM

21 days today. I went to a concert--well, I went to few concerts over the weekend....but Sun night--what happened after the show..... :c029: My life will never be the same...someone who I really admire talked to me for a few minutes (how this all happened is still a shock to me...but I got to tell this person that I have 3 weeks clean and showed him my white NA keytag). I told him that his writings/music, band etc gives me hope. He was very supportive of my recovery and mentioned briefly some of his own recovery experience . He was glad I told him what I did. He congratulated me and gave me a hug. Man, I will forever remember this..... :c033:

thirtybubba 08-17-2009 02:45 AM

Wow, Angelina, I dare say your life won't be the same. That's gotta be one heck of a natural high... I can't begin to imagine.

Stay in touch with us common folk, won't you?

Yeahgr8, I think I'm on some sort of AA train that I don't remember boarding. I hope they don't get me for no ticket... So this one person tells me to call this other person who tells me to call... it goes on. Upshot, I'm supposed to call this one lady and "she'll know what to do." She didn't seem to, but told me to meet her at the meeting tonight, for which I finally got a ride. So after the meeting I find out that she either knows everybody who ever was in AA or real close. I have apparently been referred to the mainline.

And I also seem to have a... an itinerary is the word here I suppose. Complete with transportation arrangements and destinations. Courtesy this same lady. At this rate, I'll be too busy to drink. Which, after today, is a welcome relief. The business at least. Boredom almost cost me my 4 days (now 5) earlier--I never thought about alcohol so much in my life.

So now instead of merely floating through life, I am floating through life with velocity. (That's acceleration + direction and = all the physics I ever understood.)

Statistics and me stopped talking to each other years and years ago. I am my own demographic, in a thousand ways. From birth, statistics has been the guy with the sandwich board and the megaphone who never properly predicts the end.

Well y'all, here goes nothing...

(Y por lo que vale, sería amiga... :) )

Dee74 08-17-2009 03:23 AM

Buena suerte, Bubba :)

(Google is my friend)

LOL
D

SoberDaze 08-17-2009 06:08 AM

My sober date is July 14, 2009!!!!!

Leslie

yeahgr8 08-17-2009 06:26 AM

Welcome Soberdaze to THE class to be in;-)

thirtybubba 08-17-2009 07:45 AM

Welcome SoberDaze.

Congrats on the month plus.