Notices

My picture

Old 07-21-2009, 11:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My picture

To the left, its of my daughter when she was only 2 (shes 5 now) but its a good reminder of why I am doing this. Not only for my kids (I have 2!) but also for myself as a kid.

I promised myself when I was little that I would never drink when I was a grownup and never let my own kids be a part of a drinking lifestyle. I saw so many things little kids should never have to see or hear.

Her picture helps to keep that promise to myself for my kids sake but also for my own inner child. My inner child is jumping for joy right now that I am sober, doing something for myself and my kids that my mom could never do for herself or for us.

And that face to the left, looks just like I used to
Old 07-21-2009, 11:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shelly009 View Post
To the left, its of my daughter when she was only 2 (shes 5 now) but its a good reminder of why I am doing this. Not only for my kids (I have 2!) but also for myself as a kid.

I promised myself when I was little that I would never drink when I was a grownup and never let my own kids be a part of a drinking lifestyle. I saw so many things little kids should never have to see or hear.

Her picture helps to keep that promise to myself for my kids sake but also for my own inner child. My inner child is jumping for joy right now that I am sober, doing something for myself and my kids that my mom could never do for herself or for us.

And that face to the left, looks just like I used to

Wow Shelly she is nothing short of beautiful and I would fight every day and night to keep true to your dreams for something so special.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
You've inspired me Shelly, I'll join you for a little bit by using an old pic of my munchkins. This is pre-sobriety for me, taken at the house where they still live with my ex. It's a good reminder of the life I gave away every time I chose to pick up a drink.

I'm grateful for the relationship I have with my children now and the beautiful life we share as a result of my recovery, I hope I'll continue to lead by example.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

AWE!! Astro, thats soo cute! They are like my 2, my daughter is almost the same size as my son. Everyone asks if they are twins but they are 2 years apart!

Its a great reminder isnt it!
Old 07-21-2009, 11:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I'll join you in the battle.. Tho my lil one isn't due for a few months.. I'm determined to never ever allow alcohol to be part of my family life. The cycle can stop..
Old 07-21-2009, 12:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

She's a doll! What a wonderful gift you are giving her by being a sober, healthy mom. I have a 3 year old myself, so your post really tugs at my heart strings!
Old 07-21-2009, 01:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What a pretty lil' gal. She deserves all the promises you can deliver.

Many of us have faced our demons with alcohol at least partially for our children. I know that my not drinking doesn't guarantee that my family will see the cycle of alcohol abuse broken, but it's a helluva lot more likely when I'm setting an example of sobriety. And god forbid, if I witness my children abusing alcohol, the advice and guidance of their old man will mean a lot more when I've shown that I've faced my personal demons. Congratulations to every one in this thread for living sober and healthy -- for us and our families.