Notices

Yikes! Cooking is a Trigger

Old 07-21-2009, 02:40 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

growing up, and working in the restaurant business, you bet i know the feeling...

hell, for that matter...

just about everything i did, i had a drink in my hand! Hic!

maybe a little Take-Out for awhile...? lol

good wishes rider
Old 07-21-2009, 03:10 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

You know for many many years there were very few things I did that I did not do while drinking. I cook dinner M-F so I drank while doing that, but my biggest trigger was my garage!!!! I spent the last 5 years of my drinking in there, I read the newspaper, listened to the radio, did crosswords and drank in there every spare minute, that is what my garage in my mind was for. I sat in there watching the world go by drinking and hating the fact that the world was passing me by.

I was sober over a year before I finally managed to clean out that hell hole.

Iced tea and coffee have been my replacement drinks for cooking and yard work..... for some reason I can find no reason to sit in the garage! LOL
Old 07-21-2009, 03:42 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

*SIGH* I have such a small kitchen that I don't cook that much anyway, but I totally know what you're saying. Loved having a big glass of wine in my hand as I cooked away.

As time goes by though, those "habits" phase themselves out. Eventually every once in a while when I'm doing whatever I'm doing I think "heh, I'm doing this without drinking........" still amazes me.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:31 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post

for some reason I can find no reason to sit in the garage!
You too??

Mark
Old 07-21-2009, 04:51 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

I have replaced the time I usually cooked with a meeting every day. I am very lucky that there is one 5 days a week at the same time/same place. Then I come home and cook dinner. I Don't have any thoughts of drinking days after leaving a meeting.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:59 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
JJB

Oh wow I can really relate to this

I spent my whole life in the kitchen cooking elaborate meals for my family and drinking chilled white wine.
I loved it it was the main activityof my life and i justified it as the only thing i could do well for my family.
I couldn't always remember the next day having eaten the meal and would have to ask them if they'd enjoyed it
I sometimes dared to ask if I had eaten any too-as i of course couldn't remember. (the bottle of wine was finished usually by the time the meal was ready)the answer was usually "you hardly touched a thing"

Well like for TTOSBT when I stopped drinking my family had to get used to eating very different meals.
Lots more frozen and simple stuff now-would never have dreamt of such a thing before and no home made desserts or puddings .
My kitchen is also in more of a mess now as i spend less time in it cleaning it up
So what?
everyone says put your sobriety first and that's what i'm doing

I spend as little time as possible in there now.
Who knows maybe one day i'll be able to cook again and take pleasure in it.

For the moment i'm concentrating on keeping myself sober!
Old 07-21-2009, 05:03 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rider View Post
Oh boy...went into the kitchen to start making dinner and realized that for 25 years I drank while I was cooking dinner. It's weird not to. I think the reason I am a darn good cook is that it gave me something to do while drinking! Lots and lots of practice every single night.

So just now I fled from the kitchen. I don't know how to cook without a drink on the counter or in my hand. Sigh...

Anyone else get that feeling that a key element to an activity is MISSING??
haha damn thats a shame i love cooking still however i didnt drink every time i cooked just sometimes. i find cooking to be quite relaxing
Old 07-21-2009, 05:11 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Chiming in here! For 25 years it was a ritual to sip wine while cooking. Or sip beer. Depending on whether I was doing secret or open drinking. When it was the weekdays, it was the hidden beers or the stashed bottle of wine. On Friday-Sat-Sun it was the open drinking when my husband drank.
It took a while to get used to not having that glass sitting there on the counter. (or under the counter.....) I used alcohol to relax if I felt stressed with several dishes being prepared at once. But, there was always too much alcohol and I ended up feeling stressed anyway. So much for a "relaxer"!

I still enjoy cooking and I replace the alcohol based drink with iced coffee or a cold fizzy drink of some kind. It took a while to get used to the new routine, but now the triggers are mostly a memory.