Notices

Detoxing Now...anyone else on day 1?

Old 07-20-2009, 01:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Detoxing Now...anyone else on day 1?

This is day one, and tonight will be worse. I am drinking a ton of water but the hot flashes are killing me. I woke up (when I slept) drenched in sweat so much that I had hives all over me. Any suggestions on that one?

Trying to stay away from the sugar. Afraid of tonight. Don't know how to try to fall asleep so I can sleep through most of it.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

the only way i've been able to sleep through it is with meds from a doctor. Unfortunately you really have to tuff it out unless you can aford to go see someone. Or it's serious enough that you feel you might need the anti seizure medication.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm on day one also, but my doctor won't give me antianxiety meds to get thru withdrawal, so i have to get thru on my own. The first two days are te worst. Once I'm past those first two days I'm ok.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I'm on day one also, but my doctor won't give me antianxiety meds to get thru withdrawal, so i have to get thru on my own. The first two days are te worst. Once I'm past those first two days I'm ok.
same here with the Dr. not giving me anxiety meds till detox is over. In my opion, if he gave me the meds, then I could detox. How are you feeling? Are you working or have something to keep your mind off it? I am still in bed and plan to be here all day and probably all day tomorrow till this passes. I was going to try to do an AA meeting tonight...we'll see. I have never been so, not sure if I have it in me.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Way to go you two! You can do it! Keep strong!
Old 07-20-2009, 02:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Keep it up, or keep it down however that works. After the crap, the recovery. Who wants to keep going through de-tox de jour? Whatever it takes, take it. Work it and its yours and no body can steal it away from you and no more detox. And is it ever worth it.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I really really really don't want to sound nasty or vindictive, but I am genuinely very worried about you and Least. Does your doctor know that if you were to have an alcohol-withdrawel related seizure something serious could happen and he/she could be held liable? Maybe they've told you to go to the ER as an alternative, pardon me if I'm presuming anything, but this isn't about you guys wanting to get high off benzos, its about life-threatening complications. Since we are (understandably of course) not allowed to get medical advice, it worries me that the medical personanell involved aren't more compassionate. Could they at least give you some advice on options?
Old 07-20-2009, 05:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Here, this will make you feel better. Below is an account of my last Detox. Everything cleared up in 4 days. Been sober since.

April 7, 2009. The end of a three week 24/7 blackout binge. Cold Turkey Detox by myself at home. The In-Patient Detox Facility refused me entrance (even though they had open beds and I had full Insurance) because I "wasn't Menatlly Ill".

Shaking. Sweating. Nausea and vomiting from internal bleeding. Fever. Dry skin and lips. Dehydration. Headache. Auditory Hallucinations. Rapid Pounding Heart. Liver Damage. Insomnia (5 days w/ no sleep). Loss of appetite (didn't eat for 5 days). Anxiety. Depression. Despair. Lonliness. Fear and Paranoia. Restlessness. Disorientation. Confusion. Night Terrors.

All simultaneously. All 10's on a scale of 1 to 10 w/ 10 being the worst imaginable. A complete Physical, Mental, Emotional, and Spiritual Beat Down of the severest magnitude. The damage I did to myself was enormous.

I had no idea humans could endure such suffering and live to tell about it. Unless you have actually been at this Alcoholic Rock Bottom you simply do not know what it means. Many Alcoholics committ suicide. While I have never been suicidal I now understand exactly where that comes from.

My desparate plea was "God don't let me die like this. I don't care where you take me as long as it isn't here".
Old 07-20-2009, 05:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am on day one also, again! And it does suck. I did it a couple weeks ago and only made 5 days sober, so I am here again. It sure is hard, and would be so easy to just take that drink and make it all go away, but we all know that is not the answer. That is what got us here in the first place. I am just have some anxiety and a minor head-ache. It does get better after a couple days. Hang in there and be strong. I actually have anti-anxiety medication though. My doctor prescribed it for me a while back just to help with my anxiety. I haven't taken any yet though. We can get through this together!
Old 07-20-2009, 05:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hang in there guys!

And, remember, you never have to go through this again!
Old 07-20-2009, 08:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You can do it!!! Someone suggested that you keep a journal going through these days so that you can remember exactly how you feel should the urge to drink arise again...I know you may not feel up to it but it may help to release a bit on paper or on screen...I drank tons of water and did breathing exercises the first night....I also sucked on ice to keep the nausea at bay....and I also kept a close eye on my blood pressure...I landed up in the ER once it got too high in the middle of the night....but was sent home a few hours later....so please be careful and seek medical help if need be. I am CHEERING YOU ON!!!!

~Reb
Old 07-21-2009, 07:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I made it throught the night, how about you biddy? Night sweats and hands and feet were itchy...drove me crazy. We doing ok still? I am going on a second interview this am...my first one I had a 6 pack before I went in and kicked butt. Now I have to do it sober...ug. Leaving in 10 minutes. No beer in hand.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Way to go timeside! Let us know how your interview goes. I'm cheering for you!
Old 07-21-2009, 08:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey. I am doing well. I only slept about 2 hours last night, but it is funny. I feel more rested today on 2 hours of sober sleep than I did on 9 hours of drunken sleep. I can't wait until I actually get 8 hours of SOBER sleep!!! Imagine how great that will feel?!?! I still have a bit of a headache today, but feel much better. I kept going from hot to cold last night. I would throw the covers off, then get cold and put them back on. Frustrating. Good luck on your interview, and keep me posted. Keep rocking the sobriety buddy!
Old 07-21-2009, 11:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good biddy! How about you Least?
Interview went very well. I am not very good at many things but this biz is my baby and I beat out a ton of applicants and I refuse to screw up this opportunity with sneakin off to have one of four at lunch. They are calling me later to tell me when I start. I took a 10k $ drop in pay, but with the eceonomy, it's fine and much better than the nothing that I am making right now. I have nice office and it's a great looking shop. He said he only hires the best and welcomed me in. Cool. That will keep me going for today, but I really wanted to celebrate...but I didn't, nit with the beer. Thanks guys
Old 07-21-2009, 02:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Glad your interview went so well! And, you should be celebrating, just in a non-alcoholic way, that's all. You could dance around your house naked and sing silly songs!!
Old 07-22-2009, 07:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

im on DAY 1 as well, I feel like crap,.. my back hurts, head hurts, belly upset, head very cloudy, bones ache, anxiety mild, dts mild, hot/cold flashs, ima mess. i dont know why i did this to my self. and im feeling really guilty about dumb things i have done while intoxicated........sigs
Old 07-22-2009, 09:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Day one here too. Beyond anxiety and the fact that my skin is crawling and my jaws are clenched, I'm doing OK. Grateful that I'm not experiencing anything like what Radd44 described.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:57 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good luck to all you guys - you all can do this

I find this thread has a lot of useful advice and experience
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

D
Old 07-23-2009, 05:00 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

A little anxious today but feeling better.