Notices

Is it possible for an alcoholic like myself...

Old 07-20-2009, 03:20 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

When you get to your 14th day, review how day 15 went.

This question about controlling drinking has been asked a lot this week and I keep seeing the same answers. I don't need to add, I believe my peers here have said it all. Good thing is that you have this site to come to. Lot's of wonderful insight and support. Welcome to the SR Family!!
Old 07-20-2009, 03:28 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Enjoying Sobriety

For me, I just can not drink in moderation. It took me many years to finally admit that. I am glad you are looking for answers and being open minded. Best of luck to you!
Old 07-20-2009, 03:49 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NewBeginning010 View Post
Welcome to SR, for a lot of us one is too many. I hope that you find what you are looking for.

I never drank for the taste I might have told myself that to continue to feed myself with thoughts of "I know I can drink if I moderate" ... "I drink for the taste not the buzz"

The lies we tell ourselves... pretty scary.

You seem like a nice guy who is sincerely looking for help & openly admitting you have a problem. I look forward to seeing you work through your recovery.

Take Care,

NB
maybe u never tried hennessy and cola lol. sorry maybe i shudnt say that. dont try it! however i admit on some levels maybe i do think alot of drinks tasted alot better than they actually did because i just liked getting drunk soo much.

thanks for your post

Originally Posted by vegibean View Post
When you get to your 14th day, review how day 15 went.

This question about controlling drinking has been asked a lot this week and I keep seeing the same answers. I don't need to add, I believe my peers here have said it all. Good thing is that you have this site to come to. Lot's of wonderful insight and support. Welcome to the SR Family!!
i hope i have the strength thanks

Originally Posted by SCRedhead View Post
For me, I just can not drink in moderation. It took me many years to finally admit that. I am glad you are looking for answers and being open minded. Best of luck to you!
thank you =)
Old 07-20-2009, 03:53 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

oh and phaleron! thanks for adding me i cant pm you yet because i dont have enough posts. i will when i can though!
Old 07-20-2009, 04:48 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Keep us posted on your progress.

I think your confidence, and especially your honesty (with yourself) will assist you in your efforts.

One of the methods that helped me in early sobriety was to keep a non-alcoholic beverage in my hand at all times. Most important when visiting with drinking buddies!
We've posted some of our favorite non-alcoholic options in the past. My favorite was green tea and lemonade. Now I like green tea with black tea for the caffeine.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:35 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR Bloodnbone.

Can you moderate? Well if you are not an alcoholic you can.

Do some reading on alcoholism, you will see that alcoholism is a progressive disease, if one is an alcoholic they may be able to moderate for a while, but with every single drink thier disease will get worse and the need for alcohol will become stronger.

Why not try not drinking for at least a month, a non-alcoholic can do this easily. Then go down to a bar and have one beer and go home, a non-alcoholic will have no problem at all with this at all. Now go down to the bar the next night and have 2 beers a go home, once again a non-alcoholic will have no problem with this.

Now if you are an alcoholic I can tell you from my experience that it is far easier not to drink at all then to try and control my drinking. My problem being the type of alcoholic that I am was always staying stopped. I use AA to stay sober and thanks to the steps of AA I have found a new way of living life, a new solution for life that does not involve alcohol as a solution to eveything.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:38 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
Keep us posted on your progress.

I think your confidence, and especially your honesty (with yourself) will assist you in your efforts.

One of the methods that helped me in early sobriety was to keep a non-alcoholic beverage in my hand at all times. Most important when visiting with drinking buddies!
We've posted some of our favorite non-alcoholic options in the past. My favorite was green tea and lemonade. Now I like green tea with black tea for the caffeine.
i think ive always been honest with myself about being an alcoholic i mean ive never denied it to anyone or myself but this is the first time ive done something myself about it.

good idea with the drink but i try to stray from caffeine because i suffer from anxiety and it seems to be a trigger. i want to take up a sport or something though.

i will keep posted with my progress for sure. I dont know any of you guys n gals but its good to have some support because i dont think i have any real support from anyone else. thanks

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post

Do some reading on alcoholism, you will see that alcoholism is a progressive disease, if one is an alcoholic they may be able to moderate for a while, but with every single drink thier disease will get worse and the need for alcohol will become stronger.

Why not try not drinking for at least a month, a non-alcoholic can do this easily. Then go down to a bar and have one beer and go home, a non-alcoholic will have no problem at all with this at all. Now go down to the bar the next night and have 2 beers a go home, once again a non-alcoholic will have no problem with this.

Now if you are an alcoholic I can tell you from my experience that it is far easier not to drink at all then to try and control my drinking. My problem being the type of alcoholic that I am was always staying stopped. I use AA to stay sober and thanks to the steps of AA I have found a new way of living life, a new solution for life that does not involve alcohol as a solution to eveything.
after what ive read and much time to think about it. i dont believe i can moderate unfortunately because ive remembered just about everytime i've been offered a drink or even up to 12 ive always turned it down and said "nah it will just be a tease."

If i didnt turn it down it was because i had this feeling i would move heaven and earth to find the drinks afterwards needed for my fix.

I think i was maybe hoping people may have learned a way for alcoholics to do this or something stupid like that im not sure.

I am currently aiming to go sober at least 14 days which will beat my previous record of 11 days.

2 and a half days so far
Old 07-20-2009, 07:46 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Resident grateful guy!

Originally Posted by BloodnbonE View Post
i think ive always been honest with myself about being an alcoholic i mean ive never denied it to anyone or myself but this is the first time ive done something myself about it.

good idea with the drink but i try to stray from caffeine because i suffer from anxiety and it seems to be a trigger. i want to take up a sport or something though.

i will keep posted with my progress for sure. I dont know any of you guys n gals but its good to have some support because i dont think i have any real support from anyone else. thanks

after what ive read and much time to think about it. i dont believe i can moderate unfortunately because ive remembered just about everytime i've been offered a drink or even up to 12 ive always turned it down and said "nah it will just be a tease."

If i didnt turn it down it was because i had this feeling i would move heaven and earth to find the drinks afterwards needed for my fix.

I think i was maybe hoping people may have learned a way for alcoholics to do this or something stupid like that im not sure.

I am currently aiming to go sober at least 14 days which will beat my previous record of 11 days.

2 and a half days so far

Congrats on being aware! That's a huge step. 1 thing i learned is that this is very much a 1 day at a time thing. I know it sounds cliche, but it's the truth. Yesterday is done and gone, tomorrow isn't here or within my control. All i have is today and for today i chose not to drink/use. Setting goals is good, but it can be a setup. I've seen many people set goals on staying sober and when they hit that goal they go out and "celebrate". You seem like a smart and honest dude, i'm not trying to tell what to do, just please be aware.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:01 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SomeCallMeTim View Post
Congrats on being aware! That's a huge step. 1 thing i learned is that this is very much a 1 day at a time thing. I know it sounds cliche, but it's the truth. Yesterday is done and gone, tomorrow isn't here or within my control. All i have is today and for today i chose not to drink/use. Setting goals is good, but it can be a setup. I've seen many people set goals on staying sober and when they hit that goal they go out and "celebrate". You seem like a smart and honest dude, i'm not trying to tell what to do, just please be aware.
To be entirely honest when i make it to the 14th day i will probably celebrate my success and have a drink the next day but ima try not go overboard. after that day i will attempt to go even further. I'm going to seek out a.a as well and hopefully it will help me. I will continue setting goals. I also have a goal to get fit again so i think this will help my progress.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:23 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

The trouble with doing that is, if you're like me, you'll get to the 15th day and then drink hard for the next month or two....or six....there's no gain that way.

If you believe you're an alcoholic then I have to warn you moderation is almost certainly gonna be an exercise in futility, bnb.

But...it's always yr call.
Good luck with it

D
Old 07-21-2009, 01:46 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

^^ 3 days now.. damn i hope not maybe the councellor will get me through this. The sound of going completely cold turkey i dunno. I really cant imagine it. I'm taking it a day at a time.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:42 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

To be entirely honest when i make it to the 14th day i will probably celebrate my success and have a drink the next day but ima try not go overboard. after that day i will attempt to go even further.
I am with Dee on this one, I used to celebrate staying sober for a certain time frame by drinking, I did this for years until alcohol owned me out right and I could not even go a single day without drinking because bad things started to happen to me. My last drunk lasted 5 years.

Keep in mind alcoholism is a progressive disease, every withdrawal is worse then the one before and staying away from the drink eventually is impossible.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:59 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I agree with Taz and Dee, I used to set targets of a week, the once I made it I would drink a weeks work that night then end up on another binge
Old 07-21-2009, 06:57 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I was exactly the same, by the time I reached 3 weeks I would be gaging to get wasted. The only thing on my mind for days at work would be thinking about finishing on Friday at 5.30 and getting that first pint in at the pub over the road at 5.31. The pint probably lasted about 1 minute and the second one was down the neck. I would rember what I was missing and so the vicious cycle of binge/abstain/binge would be set in motion again only there was no way I would be waiting three weeks again, I would wan't that release at every weekend, then would still be drinking late Sunday and thus miss work Monday etcetc.

I'm glad my thinking isn't so shortsighted anymore.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:10 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

^ as you have all said it might start the binge again i dunno i'm still gunna try at it.

So its day 4 now. My flatmate who is a full blown alcoholic and i believe will never recover and drink himself to death is part of my inspiration to stop drinking.

He invited me to the pub today very early and hes taken the day off work to drink. We had some games of pool and his been nagging at me to have a drink with him. Even when we stopped by the super market on the way home he asked me if i wanted him to get me a box of beers and ive turned him down everytime with force in my voice =)

The withdrawal symptoms have nulled down alot i dont have the physical spasms and pain that i did and i am sleeping better. I do however feel a bit agitated and anxious but i feel that is slowly easing off as well.

So far so good. =)

thanks again for all the posts guys i appreciate it.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:43 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Blood... i tried for years to control my drinking. what i found out is that i had a level of what i called "maintenance" drinking, and I would always seek that level. Whether consciously or not. Sometimes I would drink more than my "maintenance" level, but rarely less than that. I had to really work at drinking less. It was always on my mind. I was at a point where I would measure my alcohol in a measuring cup. Whew, too much WORK. It's easier now that my mind is set on "don't drink" instead of "keep it under a half bottle." THAT hardly ever happened. I always wanted to seek my level.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:50 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post

Now if you are an alcoholic I can tell you from my experience that it is far easier not to drink at all then to try and control my drinking.
So true! My view on the 1st step is that I am powerless over the amount I drink, once I start. I don't have to take the first drink, that is a choice I can and do make. I believe that the 3rd and 7th step prayers every morning are part of what has given me the freedom not to even want that first drink. I used to lay in bed after waking each morning trying to figure out how much I drank the night before, and when I would be able to start that day. It was truely a mental obsession and thank God I never got to the point of physical addiction.

I have about 7 months and I'll tell you my first experience with socializing: I watched everyone else blow wads of cash on countless drinks while I spent about $14 including bar tips. I had a soda with free refills ($2) and my wife had 2 beers (about $10) of which she didn't even finish the 2nd one. My drink of choice now is the bartender's version of ginger ale, usually at most $2 and usually free refills. So much fun to think of all the $$ I'm saving especially these days.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:21 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bg1971 View Post
So true! My view on the 1st step is that I am powerless over the amount I drink, once I start. I don't have to take the first drink, that is a choice I can and do make. I believe that the 3rd and 7th step prayers every morning are part of what has given me the freedom not to even want that first drink. I used to lay in bed after waking each morning trying to figure out how much I drank the night before, and when I would be able to start that day. It was truely a mental obsession and thank God I never got to the point of physical addiction.

I have about 7 months and I'll tell you my first experience with socializing: I watched everyone else blow wads of cash on countless drinks while I spent about $14 including bar tips. I had a soda with free refills ($2) and my wife had 2 beers (about $10) of which she didn't even finish the 2nd one. My drink of choice now is the bartender's version of ginger ale, usually at most $2 and usually free refills. So much fun to think of all the $$ I'm saving especially these days.
schweet! =)

ok so its day 5 now. noticed i am reaaaaaally hungry all the time now which kinda sucks cos im tryna eat less to lose weight. I am exercising as well though. Not itching for a drink really its been pretty good.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:25 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Hope3

Good morning Bloodnbone, hope all is well.....

hope3
Old 07-23-2009, 07:50 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bg1971 View Post
My view on the 1st step is that I am powerless over the amount I drink, once I start. I don't have to take the first drink, that is a choice I can and do make.
If that is your experience, and it works for you, have at it. It is not, however, what our basic text says.

If I can choose whether or not to take that first drink, then my program of recovery is don't take that first drink.

My 1st step experience is knowing, without any doubt whatsoever, that I was going to drink in spite of choosing not to.