Notices

Ringing in ears

Old 07-17-2009, 08:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ringing in ears

Has anyone had experience with tinnitus, ringing in ears, during withdrawal symptoms? I have been a heavy drinker for 15 years and would only be three or 4 days between nightly binges and developed tinnitus 3 years ago. ALL other diagnosis' have been exhausted. I read on other web resources that the brain functions eventually get so depressed by alcohol that when you stay sober for awhile the barin goes through a kind of hyperactive state and tinnitus is one of many symptoms of that dry out period. Anyone else get this? I'm hoping leveling out my brain chemistry to get rid of my ear ringing could be a great motivator for me to go the distance in soberity.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'll tell you two weird symptoms I had after heavy drinking. Ringing in the ears and also toe cramps. It was odd. I would often get ringing in the ears but thought it was from cheap red wine, my D.O.C. But maybe it's just a hangover symptom or caused by dehydration?

Also I would get toe cramps/spasms. The kind where your tendons would tighten and pull the toe in towards the ball of the foot. Like you sometimes get in the middle of the night after a workout. Usually the pinkie and 4th toe would do it.

So yes, I've had the ringing.

Just get healthy and it will go away.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

"I'm hoping leveling out my brain chemistry to get rid of my ear ringing could be a great motivator for me to go the distance in soberity."

Great idea...!
Old 07-17-2009, 08:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

Having learned the hard way about how alcohol abuse can pretty much mess up every system in the body, I wouldn't be surprised about any unusual withdrawl symptoms.

Except maybe if someone started growing a third arm or something like that. Then I might get that looked at.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I just realized I spelled the title of the thread wrong, see how messed up my brain is!!
Thanks for the quick responses everyone.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I have no doubt that it could be the result of withdrawals, but it could be something else, why not see a doctor, be honest and get it checked out, there may be something a doctor could do for it.

BTW stay stopped long enough and you are going to see more physical and mental issues then you ever imagined change.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You might want to check with Kevin McCauley, M.D. at The Institute For Addiction Study and ask him about that. He's pretty knowledgeable regarding addiction as a brain disease. Great recovering guy himself. Don't drink and do whatever is needed to support not picking up and do seek medical advice from someone who knows addiction, most doctor's don't know squat. My doc attends some of the same AA groups I do--sweet! My best to you
Old 07-17-2009, 09:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Tazman53;2299557]I have no doubt that it could be the result of withdrawals, but it could be something else, why not see a doctor, be honest and get it checked out, there may be something a doctor could do for it.

I have had 4 ENTs and 2 GPs check for everything under the sun, the only thing I have not changed yet since the onset is my drinking, so like you said, thats the nodoubt answer.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

It could be that you have developed tinnitus, and that's all. It happens to many people. My husband developed it several years ago and he never drank at all.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey whether it cures it or not, you'll be sober--you can't lose.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

im not a doctor.......i suggest if you can that you discuss it with.

with my experience with delrium tremens i have on occasions heard "things".
as oppossed to seeing "things"...

i have a vague memory of a baby crying.on and on and on....only there was no baby....

ive heard of people having tactile hallucinations as well.......feel someone touch you..only no one is there.

are you talking about while detoxing....3/7 days.

or are you talking about after that period?..
Old 07-17-2009, 10:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

well trucker I unfortunately have had the ringing to a greater or lesser degree constantly for three years now, all happened one morning. But for that time and longer I have always cycled through a period of drinking 2 or 3 days in a row and then sober (hungover) 4 or 5 days in a row, over, over and over. mini-binges I guess you'd call them. So really I have always been detoxing 4 or 5 days at a time. I realize that this is not a tinnitus forum and believe me I have been seen by many, many Dr.s about this, but none of them knew I was an alcoholic either. I'm just wondering that it might just subside if I give my brain more than 4 or 5 days to get used to not being dampened by alcohol as I have been doing for 15 years. Like maybe if I get to at least 30 days I may see some results? Cheers!
Old 07-17-2009, 11:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
I have no doubt that it could be the result of withdrawals, but it could be something else, why not see a doctor, be honest and get it checked out, there may be something a doctor could do for it.

BTW stay stopped long enough and you are going to see more physical and mental issues then you ever imagined change.
You're right, I haven't been giving it long enough.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:13 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Welcome to the SR community.
i hope that you seek out medical help
for your health issues and detox process.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dunerat View Post
well trucker I unfortunately have had the ringing to a greater or lesser degree constantly for three years now, all happened one morning. But for that time and longer I have always cycled through a period of drinking 2 or 3 days in a row and then sober (hungover) 4 or 5 days in a row, over, over and over. mini-binges I guess you'd call them. So really I have always been detoxing 4 or 5 days at a time. I realize that this is not a tinnitus forum and believe me I have been seen by many, many Dr.s about this, but none of them knew I was an alcoholic either. I'm just wondering that it might just subside if I give my brain more than 4 or 5 days to get used to not being dampened by alcohol as I have been doing for 15 years. Like maybe if I get to at least 30 days I may see some results? Cheers!
hopefully it will cease and disappear with time..

id be real interested on how you get on....so keep posting.

and god be with you..