Notices

2 days sober

Old 07-17-2009, 05:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 days sober

2 days sober here and I am miserable.....I am depresssed, not talking to anyone...don't want to see anyone. Any insight about how long these feeling will last. I feel like I lost my bestfriend
Old 07-17-2009, 05:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

In some ways, you did lose your best friend... That should tell you something!

Have you considered AA?... You will find new best friends... actual people! Keep posting here... Many of us know EXACTLY how you feel and will not judge you.

What you are feeling will last as long as it takes... But it does get better, I promise. But you have some work to do ... As I mentioned, post here, but pick up that phone!! Get to a meeting. Maine AA has a decent web site, I used it when I was on vacation there... You can find a meeting, maybe a women's meeting? I mentioned in another post that I found a meeting in Belgrade Lakes, it was very nice and I felt very welcome there... you will too, wherever you go!

I'm pullin' for ya!!

Mark
Old 07-17-2009, 05:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JJB

Hang on in there jenurse-it does get better but I found it hard to believe at first too.

Don't let that"friend" tempt you back-you don't need friends like that.
Just think of all the problems that friend caused you.
He may have been fun for awhile but it's time to say goodbye to that "friend" and make new ones who will bring you self-confidence and happiness.

Believe me I know it's easier said than done but you're certainly in the right place here to get support!

Old 07-17-2009, 05:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am having a hard time trying to occupy my time that used to be filled with drinking, it is hard. I run on the treadmill, I read, watch tv....I don't know what else to do. I am a can't sit still kind of person.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me the key was to stay busy. Find something positive to do. don't just sit around concetrating on how you feel! Get involved in AA, or some volunteer work. ahobby, something you LIKE to do.
I am most temted to drink when I've noyhing to do.

Come on- you are doing good!!
Old 07-17-2009, 05:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Be patient with yourself and you will get through these early days, and begin to feel better.

How about looking at doing some volunteer work in your community? Doing that worked wonders for me.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I am a can't sit still kind of person.
In that case you have recieved some excellent suggestions, volunteer work as Anna suggested will be great later on. For me I had to have a degree of recovery before that was even an option, I found recovery in AA.

My counselor in detox suggested I spend as much time working on my recovery as I did spent drinking, well I drank every day beginning with as soon as I got off of work until I passed out in bed so I spent a great deal of time going to AA meetings, speakiing to AA friends I made on the phone and reading recovery stuff. I got a sponsor and took the steps, today I take others through the steps.

I am a part of the world today, a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.

This all takes time, I can relate to your feeling like you have lost a friend, with me though it seemed as though I had lost an abusive lover! Even though she had been treating me like hell for over 5 years, I still felt like there was a huge hole in me that needed to be filled! I had tried to fill it with my old abusive lover alcohol for many years, but all she did was abuse me. Thanks to the fellowship of AA and the steps that hole is now filled, it is filled with a life I never dreamed possible, not with material things, but with life itself which has no price.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You're very early in sobriety and those feelings are common in early sobriety. It will get better, but it takes your brain and body a while to re-learn how to function without alcohol. Give it time, and as suggested here, occupy yourself with positive things.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes you are right, but I don't know why I am afraid to go to an AA meeting. I am afraid of people in the community to see me (because of my profession) I have a professional role I need to keep up and don't want the stereotype of being a drunk. I know it is called AA for a reason, but it is a hump I need to get over. I am also in counseling and had a session yesterday, she is trying to get to the reasons why I drink and we were able to identify some of those reasons yesterday. I just need to keep plugging away I guess. But I also just found out that I am co-dependent and trying to work on that as well and it is not easy, but no-one said it would be.

Does anyone know anything about Lamictal? I was started on that this week for untreatable depression or should I say too many side effects from SSRI's. I feel okay but I don't know if it was the best idea to sober up the same week I start a new med.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It was a good idea to sober up while starting a new med. Alcohol has many unpredictable affects on other meds.... Maybe, hmmmm, the SSRIs did not work because you were drinking????

Just a thought...

Hang in there

Mark
Old 07-17-2009, 06:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

No.....too many other side effects from the SSRI's like sexual (ect) I can't deal with side effects like that it will make me more depressed.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Me too, I hate SSRIs for that reason, but some are worse than others... I get it.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jenurse13 View Post
I am having a hard time trying to occupy my time that used to be filled with drinking, it is hard. I run on the treadmill, I read, watch tv....I don't know what else to do. I am a can't sit still kind of person.
JE, I was the same after two days. It's really hard. If you can simply 'allow' yourself to have his time to feel crappy and irritable and tell yourself 'it will get better', I assure you it will. Just tell yourself 'I don't have to be happy or sleeping right now... this will come soon enough'. I have gone 7 days now. It does get better. I don't know how long you were drinking heavily though.

My first 2 days I was depressed and having minor night terrors and was quite shakey. That was gone in 4 days. I did allow myself the time to be a mess and to be irritable without questioning it or being frustrated.

I have been running a fair bit too. I have also devised a new sort of trick to keep me occupied when I am sick of downing pot after pot of tea. Get yourself a bottle of something pretty, like Pellegrino. Sparkling water. Or Aqua Panne. Something that is good for you but goes down nice with a wedge of lemon. At least you can still pour yourself a pretty drink this way without getting drunk.

Allow yourself time and don't beat yourself up. Get into your jammies, go back and forth between bed and tub if you need to. DVDs in bed with the laptop helps too.

It will pass. I am kicking with you.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you I appreciate it
Old 07-17-2009, 07:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It will pass before you know it. In a couple weeks or so, you might feel like you never drunk, and drinking was never even part of your life. The first few days aren't the best, but they keep getting better.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I hope so....because I really don't like feeling this way....thank you for the encouragement.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jenurse13 View Post
... I am also in counseling and had a session yesterday, she is trying to get to the reasons why I drink and we were able to identify some of those reasons yesterday. I just need to keep plugging away I guess. But I also just found out that I am co-dependent and trying to work on that as well and it is not easy, but no-one said it would be.

Does anyone know anything about Lamictal? I was started on that this week for untreatable depression or should I say too many side effects from SSRI's. I feel okay but I don't know if it was the best idea to sober up the same week I start a new med.
i believe lamictal is a good mood stabilizer and is used quite often for bipolar. and it's never a bad time to sober up. also, good for you for tackleing the underlying issues. that's huge, and a long, difficult journey. i've seen different therapists and counselors for over ten years. for me, it was fun to fool them. funny thing was they were impacting me without me knowing it. now, i get excited for painful discoveries. "i'm an alcoholic" let's get after it.

you can do this. it's in your tone. we'll be a support and resource. i wish you well.

bh
Old 07-17-2009, 08:21 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brokenhalo View Post
i believe lamictal is a good mood stabilizer and is used quite often for bipolar. and it's never a bad time to sober up. also, good for you for tackleing the underlying issues. that's huge, and a long, difficult journey. i've seen different therapists and counselors for over ten years. for me, it was fun to fool them. funny thing was they were impacting me without me knowing it. now, i get excited for painful discoveries. "i'm an alcoholic" let's get after it.

you can do this. it's in your tone. we'll be a support and resource. i wish you well.

bh
Thank you.....I appreciate that!!
Old 07-17-2009, 10:15 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
DJ1

I totally relate, this is day 5 for me & to be honest the first 4 days I thought I was losing my mind!!
today I am not shaking or twitching nearly as much & last night I slept for 3 hours so time is the only way to go hang in there we will feel the benefits in the end,
keep up the great work & keep thinking posirtive
Old 07-17-2009, 10:40 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DJ1 View Post
I totally relate, this is day 5 for me & to be honest the first 4 days I thought I was losing my mind!!
today I am not shaking or twitching nearly as much & last night I slept for 3 hours so time is the only way to go hang in there we will feel the benefits in the end,
keep up the great work & keep thinking posirtive
I am trying, however I am already thinking about what I am going to do tonight. Weekends especially revolved around drinking, so needless to say this is going to be interesting.