Notices

new comer

Old 07-16-2009, 08:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new comer

hi. just thought i would introduce myself. i am 10 days sober now but today i am finding quite hard not to have a drink and i know if i do it wont just be one it will be lots lots more .and i know that i would have realy let myself down if i do as i have come this far. i keep telllling myself well it will only be a few drinks this time but of course it never is. i feel like im getting really edgy at the moment and the only thing will calm me down is a drink. any sugestions i would be really gratfull.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Stanley,

You are doing great on 10 days. You seem to know that it is your drinking mind that is telling you that it will only be a few. Keep fighting back and remembering why it is you don't want to drink. Keep reading and posting. There is a wealth of knowledge on this site. Good luck
Old 07-16-2009, 09:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Congrats!

Consider adding some activities to your life to replace the drinking activities.

Reading, exercise, AA meetings, etc.

Live life!
Old 07-16-2009, 09:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Hello stan, congrats on your 10 days and welcome to SR!

Nobody's ever died from not taking another drink, so rest assured that abstinence is possible. Keep reading and reaching out for support here, you'll see many ways that our members stay clean and sober.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Well I can tell you what has kept me sober since I got out of detox, the program and fellowship of AA.

Oh I bet that line right there made you cringe if you are anything like I used to be. AA was the last thing I would ever do, only losers go to AA, old broken down drunks, homeless drunks, the scum of the earth!

I reached the point where I did not draw a sober breath for 5 years, I knew my drinking was killing me and ruining my life but there was still no way in hell I was going to AA, I had gone to 1 meeting 5 years before that, but it did not help, probably because I was not really ready to stop drinking and stay stopped at the time.

I called a drug and alcohol hotline and set up a doctors appointment where I was sure there was some magical pill that would keep me sober. Instead the doctor convinced me I needed to be medically detoxed.

Well I went into detox and guess what they told me was my best chance to stay sober after I got out of detox? AA!!!! At this point alcohol had kicked my butt, I went to AA and what I found was a new life, a life sober and not caring if I ever had a drink again!

Why not just pick up the phone book and give your locall AA hotline a call, go to 4 or 5 meeting and see what you think. It is not magic, but you will have all the support you could ever dream of and if you are willing to be honest and do the work needed to stay sober it can work.

What do you have to lose? An hour or 2 in a meeting that you could be sitting at home alone thinking about drinking?

What could you gain? A whole new way of life free of the bounds of alcoholism.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, if it were easy we'd all be clean and sober. Look inward, reach outward, don't live out of this moment, just be here moment by sober moment anf you'll dicover the wonderful truth that you can live your life alive. Congrads on taking the infinate leap into sobriety.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well done on your sober time.....Welcome...

Take action when those thoughts come
A walk...Drink cold water...Eat Lifesavers...Brush your teeth..Chew gum

The alcohol is now out of your body....please don't drink
and restart the cycle.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Read and post on here
Read books about recovery (I really enjoyed Augusten Burroughs Dry)
Take a walk
Clean out a closet or cupboard
Laundry, dishes, mop, dust
Drink fizzy water with a little bit of juice (blueberry, grape, apricot)
Eat something sweet (chocolate.....never goes well with alcohol-in my opinion)

Congrats on 10 days!!!!
Old 07-16-2009, 01:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was medicating my depression and anxiety with alcohol, of course that didn't really help, just made it worse. Whatever you do, don't drink! I did that last week for two days and now I'm really sorry I threw away my sober time and have to start over. Drinking is a vicious cycle that only gets worse. It's not worth it, trust me.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Stanley.