Notices

First day

Old 07-16-2009, 07:39 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Welcome! Congrats on getting through day 1.

Like some of the folks above , AA has been a tremendous part of my recovery. If you can find one in your area, give it a shot. If you can find a womens meeting, those are great too.

You'll find great people with good advice here. Keep us posted on your progress!
Old 07-16-2009, 07:50 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Way to go determined! Now you are on day two! YIPPIE!
Old 07-16-2009, 08:36 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Determined1 congrats on day 2!!!! Just stay in the day, do not worry about tomorrow, just do not drink today and repeat the same deal tomorrow.

You are finding you are not alone, I felt so alone when I was drinking, I felt like I was the only person who felt the way I felt and thought the way I thought, thanks to the fellowship of AA I not only know I am not alone, I know that it is possible for an alcoholic like me to stay sober for the rest of my life.

I sat at a fellow alcoholics bedside the day before he passed, he had been sober for many years and his family was there by his side right up until the end. I heard him tell his story, this man had lost it all, his own children did not even speak to him for many years, he was sober for several years before his oldest daughter finally would speak with him. He passed with her at his side.

I am friends with alcoholics who have not had a drink for over 30 years and have met a man and a woman both with over 50 years sober today and heard their stories as well.

If the support you find here is not enough I can tell you that for me, I needed to see first hand that alcoholics could not only go to thier graves sober, but that they could live lifes that were full of joy and life! The best thing of all is they all are delighted to share with anyone how they stay sober and free of the bondage of their alcoholism.

If you find yourself really struggling just pick up your phone and call your local AA hotline, they can help you out by just talking to you with an understanding ear and also help you find a meeting if you wish.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:43 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

One day at A time is the way I have to take it! I am proud of you for taking that BIG step. Keep it up!! Welcome to the family..................
Old 07-16-2009, 08:54 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

dementor

Kids saw Harry Potter the other night...the word dementor stuck in my brain... I used to look at wine as my friend..I am now realizing it is just like the dementors in the movies. I will try word /picture association every time I think about a drink of wine..

"Dementors are among the foulest creatures that walk this earth. They infest the darkest, filthiest places, they glory in decay and despair, they drain peace, hope, and happiness out of the air around them... Get too near a Dementor and every good feeling, every happy memory will be sucked out of you. If it can, the Dementor will feed on you long enough to reduce you to something like itself...soul-less and evil. You will be left with nothing but the worst experiences of your life."
Old 07-16-2009, 02:35 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Determined, how are we doing! Only 230pm my time and the "itch" hit me but very mildly. I'm experienced at the mental demons now so I don't let them get to me. I think as I recall you were 2 hours ahead so it is 430pm and getting near the "witching hour". I figured I'd post, see if you are reading, and make sure that you remain solid! Sometimes we reward ourselves and our sobriety by drinking again, don't let it happen. Keep focusing on tomorrow morning and how clear and great you're gonna feel by being solid from now till bed time.

Hill
Old 07-16-2009, 03:43 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hill,
I had to go to the store and walk by the wine. I was strong. I am cooking dinner for a friend and then we are going to the movies. I am craving but not giving in. I have been reading posts on and off all day and it has helped so much.
Stay strong and I will check in after the movies.
Thanks for checking on me!!!
Old 07-16-2009, 07:05 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'm here, sober and free! Went to the in-laws for dinner, they offered wine I said no, and that I'm on a diet. Glad you made, it hope the movies are good ones! I get sick from eating too much popcorn at the movies every time. Tomorrow is Friday night, let's post up a few times tomorrow so we can prepare for the weekend. Think of us as soldiers preparing for battle. We can't just "wing it" and hope to win, we need to plan it which for me includes not hanging out with our large group of drinking friends.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:28 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm glad you found us, determined. It's great that you have the support of your friend, too. It sounds like you have a wonderful attitude. Instead of wallowing around in self-pity like I did, you're very upbeat - that's so important. We look forward to hearing how you're doing.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:09 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

You GO GIRL!!

Yah Determined!!! (((((HUGS)))))

I have just been sitting hear reading your story(s) and I am SO PROUD of you! You are definately gonna make it in this Journey.

What an awesome turnaround you've already made! This is so wonderful to see. I bet you feel great and so relieved that you CAN DO THIS! YES!!! You really, really can. Please continue to keep us all posted on your achievements each day and WELCOME to your NEW LIFE!

Love Pancake xo
Old 07-16-2009, 08:36 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Went to the movie, not so great but kept me busy. I am thinking about the weekend, we usually go to dinner, out on the boat, to the pool, bbq....I have thought about just one glass, but know how good I feel about my self the last few days, that I dont want to do it. I used to run in the morning but havent for years, I might try that. Its amazing how much it helps me to just talk about this or type about it...In reading some other posts about how sad some ppl feel in their sobriety I hope my mood doesnt change, at least not drastically, Im sure I will have hard days, days I am very tempted, but I hope depression doesnt become a part of my life. I actually had to stop reading a few posts...they made me anxious....
So...Im going to bed, day 3 under my belt...and I actually feel great. I wondered if I would have any physical symptoms..I woke up one night a little sweaty...but thats it. Do most symptoms happen right away?
Thanks for all the support once again...the next 3 days will be hard, but I am determined.
Hill..I will check in tomorrow throughout the evening...
Take care all and goodnight.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:56 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Ok, I am on my way to night #4. I have struggled this morning about this weekend and especially tonight. My friend called and we are going out on the boat, this always involves driving around finding a quiet spot on the the lake, having cheese and crackers, wine, conversation and watching the sun go down. I have been telling myself all day that I can do it. I can pick one day a week, maybe friday or saturday night that it would be ok, just one night of fun, maybe it will be ok, i have been battling it in my mind all freaking morning, but after reading some posts especially some of effortjoys previous posts, I got the strength to turn off the "its ok for one night" thoughts. I emailed him ajust to confirm what I had told him a few days ago at lunch...that I "THINK" I have a problem.....but.... that I would love to go on the boat, just no wine, and he said that he was great with that. I feel relieved! If I make it through the weekend I will be so proud of myself. I hope someone reading my posts will get the strength to say no tonight just as I have gained strength from so many others....
Hill if you are reading this...good luck tonight and the rest of the weekend, if I can do it so can you.
Thanks to all!!!
Old 07-17-2009, 10:01 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Way to go determined! I, too, started having thoughts of "just a few Friday night would be okay" but I awoke this morning and have renewed my intent to have no drinks! Instead I am going to the movies with my kiddos!!! Going to see the new Harry Potter movie! I'd much rather do that than drink. And since my son wants to help me, he said he won't drink either! Yea!!!! I'm doing it! So are you!
Old 07-17-2009, 10:16 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

city girl,
when you see the dementors tonight, think of alcohol, they such the joy out of you just like drinking does...
Old 07-17-2009, 06:39 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Booze cruise sounds fun but that is that slippery slope I told you about. I'd avoid all of it until you have some experience under your belt. One glass means 10 and you know it. It is 830pm, I hope you are watching tv at home or something. I'm drinking coffee and we're watching movies with the kids tonight. My wife is sooooo not an alcoholic. She can take it or leave it, doesn't even occur to her to drink like it did me tonight. I so desire that, but alas I am who I am. I hope to hear from you in the A.M. Determined!

Hill
Old 07-17-2009, 06:59 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to know you are doing so well....
Keep in focus....keep posting....keep moving forward.

Blessings to you and your children
Old 07-20-2009, 06:24 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Determined,

If you are reading this and drank this weekend along with probably Sunday and possibly right now as we speak, please start over again tomorrow! Breaking the streak is kind of something you get better at and at least for me important to my overall recovery. I know I'll mess up here and there in a moment of weakness, but the difference is now I have the discipline to stop it and try and minimize the damage. Instead of going back to drinking every night, if I do mess up then I'll get healthy again the next day. I believe this to be a good approach. I hope you are reading this.

Hill