Notices

Paranoid and not posting for awhile :)

Old 07-14-2009, 01:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Focus

Paranoid and not posting for awhile :)

I'm sure I'm overreacting with my paranoia here but apparently someone from my apartment complex maybe? (we have 10 computers in the lobby) or something has been logging onto this forum. I think it is an odd coincidence unless maybe I left it on the history while I usually erase it.

I'm sure no one in my apartment REALLY cares that much as to who I am etc but posting here I had hoped would be something completely private. I know a lot of people here and I don't want them getting the wrong idea if they can find out in any way that it is me posting.

With that, unfortunately for me, I'm going to lay low on the posts for awhile. I'm sure I'll still read posts. Thanks for the support in the short time I have been here. It has been helpful as even though I have attempted to 'manage my drinking' a time or 2, which failed and resulted in binging, I have had many days without a drink as well... 7 days in a row once!!! I can't remember the last time I went a full week without alcohol, or even 2 days prior to coming to this forum. If I think of alcohol, I come here which has been comforting, but unfortunately, this must end for a bit.

In the meantime, I wish you all luck and happiness for the road. Thanks a lot for helping me figure myself out... and for posting your stories which made me realize that so many were in the exact same place as me

God bless! -K
Old 07-14-2009, 02:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well do what you need to do. I'm not sure that you or any of us really have anything to hide or be ashamed of. We're alcoholics, we have a disease (The Institute For Addiction Study) we're getting treatment and we're recovering. This is no more shameful than hepatitis II or many other diseases fuilled by lifestyle choices. I'm an alcoholic in recovery and damn proud of it. I'm not going to flaunt it, but I'm not going to deny myself support because of it, either. You take care and I hope you keep posting. If you got a nosey neighbor he or she may have a secret they're trying to find out answers for.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

I think you have made some remarkable progress since you first started posting here. Contact one of the admistrators and change your screen name if you feel the need, or just sign up under a different name. Use a different computer, if you don't have one of your own you can use. I'd hate to see you go, you have added a lot to these forums. Take care.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Try to stay if you can, just make a new account for now. What makes you think that someone has access to your account? Did you come to the site address & get automatically logged in? That will happen if you dont clear the cookies (history is good to clear as well of course).

End of the day, you getting help for your drinking isn't a news flash that many would be interested in (sorry to say ;-). It is however very important to us.

Take care & keep coming back... even if its under a new name or 10.

NB
Old 07-14-2009, 03:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd hate to see you not posting Laura.
I might be missing something, but I can't see that this is a reason to stop coming here.

If you remain really worried about a possible breach - PM a mod to change your screen name, make sure you don't have an automatically entered password (enter it manually every time) and, like NB says, clear your cookies your history and your cache after every visit.

I hope you find a way around this.

D
Old 07-14-2009, 03:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Laura, I'd really hate to see you go too. I've read through your posts and you write with wonderful honesty and clarity. You really set a great example for your peers here.......whether you know that or not.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Heathen

Take care!
Old 07-14-2009, 06:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey "Laura"/K, It's certainly your decision whether you want to post or not on here, or even log in for that matter... but I hope you do stick around.

I was ultra paranoid at first about someone logging in here and "figuring out" who I was. I even changed some personal details on my profile to "throw people off." Then I thought: "Who am I kidding? No one really cares that much to or has enough time on their hands to be a detective like that, and if they do really want to know THAT badly, then let them!!!" It reminds me of when I was a kid and I asked my Dad, "What if the neighbors are looking in at us when we are getting dressed?" He gave some answers like "Well, we can close the window shades, etc." And I got *really* paranoid and said something like, "Well, what if they hide somewhere and peek around the shades with binoculars, etc." and my Dad said to me, "Well, if they really care that much about it, let them do it!" At the time I thought he was throwing caution to the wind, but now I see what he means. Besides, no one is going to go to SOBERRECOVERY.COM unless they have a problem themselves. The thought never crossed my mind to visit such a site until I realized I had a problem.

There are programs out there (ccleaner.com, for one) that you can download for free that clean the cache on your computer. Would it be possible to download it to the computer that you use? I do it routinely on my computers at home anyways. Just out of habit.

So I hope you stay here in whatever form you wish. Your honesty and directness are refreshing!

Laura (real)