Notices

New here

Old 07-14-2009, 06:12 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! Lots of people here with different amounts of sober time, but one thing we all agree on is that drinking will only make things worse and the drinking itself will get worse. Stopping now can assure you that things won't get worse.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:14 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Yea it was cold...

Went to a nice AA meeting while I was up there... Belgrade Lakes... nice group

Mark
Old 07-14-2009, 06:15 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR jenurse. I hope you're feeling better today. It's good to have you here. Read and post a lot and make some friends too. We all welcome you and hope only the best for you. Make it throught just this day and let tomorrow worry about itself. Just this day. That's all you have to worry about in regards to using alcohol.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:23 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks Least,

Sometimes I find it hard to just walk around the area where I live. So much alcohol everywhere. Two pubs and a bottle shop, leaving aside licensed restaurants within one square kilometer.

Head down and bum up just does not cut it. Head up bum is more likely a winner
Old 07-14-2009, 06:34 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Interesting place to be for you!
I remember early years in sobriety...to tell you the truth, I did not want to be sober, I wanted to be high, because when I was high, I felt more comfortable.
Recovery was hard for me, I think of myself as the ****** in recovery, because it took my three and four times longer to get anything- including my head out of my ass.
I did not like feeling raw. That is the word that really hits how I felt for the first five years in recovery.
BUT...
I did not like being hung over, being told things that I did not remember, doing things that I did not think were things anyone should be doing, I did not like being irresponsible and a mean bitter person either, and thats what I was when I was using. The fun me left years before I quit using. The fun times that I once had I could not find any longer, even though I searched and searched and tried to get them back...never could no matter how high I got...
So, spending a day feeling uncomfortable worked as long as I took it one day at a time. Pretty soon, just as I was promised one day turned into two, and then three and pretty soon I had a week and a month and years! Sixteen of them now-but it is just one day at a time...that's all I have to deal with, and it works for me! I am comfortable now 98% of the time! I love that I do the things that align with what I believe is right for me. I have never in sixteen years been told something that I did yesterday that I did not remember doing! I love waking up and feeling good. I love being able to be calm, and patient, and have the ability to step back from a situation and not make a decision about it today right this minute. I do not have to respond emotionally to every single thing I hear or see. What a pleasure life is sober!
It sounds like you have an opportunity to explore it for yourself, and see if it is something that brings you joy, peace and happiness as it has for me.
Try it if you like, take it a day at a time, or a minute at a time, and see where it leads you! Much love and light!~Cheryl
Old 07-14-2009, 06:45 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

So, Jenurse, did you make it to today? How are you doing? I am on day 4! Yea! The turning point for me, and this is embarassing, is my daughter videod me acting like an idiot. I didn't remember any of it. I am not going to do that again, ever! There have been times that I had only 1 drink, but they were always at work, where I dared not lose control, so I know that I do have the power to stop this. I never again want to wake up and be told I did something ridiculous that I do not remember.

Hang in there! You can do it!
Old 07-14-2009, 07:00 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I did drink last night, but not even close to what I would normally. I even ate dinner which was out of the norm for me. So, yeah....I wasn't completely sober, but there was an improvement.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:27 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
It's good to see you both posting here today, glad you're sticking around.

Jen, I hope these things don't sound harsh, they're just tidbits of wisdom I learned in early recovery.

Nobody's ever died from not taking another drink. Abstinence works for the short-term. Bring your body to recovery and the mind will follow.

If you want this bad enough and start taking steps toward your recovery, the grace of God will be there for you. If not, the disease will get you in the end.

Hope you both have another fine 24 hours.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:32 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Trust me nothing is too harsh....you don't know my husband.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:33 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR Jenurse & sickof the waste.

My biggest fear of getting sober was what the heck was I going to do sober!!!!

Well after getting out of detox I started going to a lot of AA meetings just like they had suggested I do while I was in detox.

What I found in AA was a new way of life! A life free of alcohol! I also have made a lot of sober friends and we do everything we did while drinking better sober, and we remember it the next day. What I have found in sobriety is that today I live life!

I can tell you from my experience that alcoholism is a progressive disease, I drank for many years after the thrill of a drink was gone. I drank even though I did not want to for the last 5 years I drank. I found that as an alcoholic my alcoholism got worse and worse the longer I drank, never better and it never stabilized, it always got worse.

If you are serious about quitting it would be a very good idea to see a doctor and be totally honest about how much you drink, how long you have drank, and what happens when you drink. Detoxing from alcohol can kill sometiimes without medical help.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:21 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

So, how did you do last night? Things going well?
Old 07-14-2009, 08:24 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I see your post now Jen. Sorry, I have not gotten the hang of this posting down pat yet, but I'm sure I will. Glad you're still here! Glad you ate dinner too! Hang in there!!
Old 07-14-2009, 08:25 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I replied to that on a previous post.....just scroll up a little bit.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:16 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I know I am finding the site a little confusing to navigate through myself.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:06 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

jenurse,

I am fighting the same battle right now! It is by far the hardest thing I have ever done. But I can't keep going to work hung over where I can't function. I was nieve in thinking my co-workers and family didn't notice. I keep getting glimses into what sober living can be like and then I screw up. It is hard, but the support from this place helps sooo much! Believe it or not people do care. It is all just one day at a time! You can do it!