Notices

Nurse addicted~new to recovery

Old 07-12-2009, 04:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nurse addicted~new to recovery

Hello..Would just like to tell a little about me~ I am a nurse of 6 years who became addicted to oxycodone 3 years ago after having back surgery. I lived my life going to work and feeding my addiction on a daily basis. Having access to narcotics every day turned into my nightmare. When i realized i had a problem, there was no way i was going to give up my career to get help. subconciously, i wanted to get caught stealing my DOC from my job. Well it finally happened, and as much as i feel my life sux right now having gotten arrested for taking the pills, nursing career is over, and no money, I can't even begin to say WHAT A RELIEF!!...in my eyes its over~the lying, stealing, and the need for the pills. If i am not around narcotics~i am fine. So i am looking forward to recovery and a new career, where i can realize the things that truly make me happy~thank you all for listening..this site is wonderful.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hello, pzb. Welcome to SR.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I'm sorry to hear what drug abuse has done to your career and your future. I hope that even though you're away from an easy supply of oxy that you don't find a substitute DOC. It's good to have you here and thanks for sharing.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I'm sorry to hear about what's happened to you too.

It's good to see that you have such a positive attitude!
Old 07-12-2009, 05:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
grateful to be here

i look forward to reading your posts and best wishes on your new start
Old 07-12-2009, 05:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey...

Do you want your career to be over... I mean do you want another, different career?

New York has a recovery program for health care professionals. I'm sure it will be difficult and full of hoops to jump through... probably some type of formal censure from the NY Board of Nursing, because of the criminal charges...

I know board's of nursing are tough, but if you want it bad enough.... On the other hand, maybe it can be a completely new beginning for you...

Welcome to SR... keep posting! BTW... are you over any withdrawal issues?

Mark
Old 07-12-2009, 05:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Old 07-12-2009, 05:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Hello and welcome to SR.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm sorry for what happened, though it sounds like you will turn it into a positive thing. I'm glad you found SR. There are a lot of great folks here.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cubile75 View Post
Hey...

Do you want your career to be over... I mean do you want another, different career?

New York has a recovery program for health care professionals. I'm sure it will be difficult and full of hoops to jump through... probably some type of formal censure from the NY Board of Nursing, because of the criminal charges...

I know board's of nursing are tough, but if you want it bad enough.... On the other hand, maybe it can be a completely new beginning for you...

Welcome to SR... keep posting! BTW... are you over any withdrawal issues?

Mark
Hi Mark..I have yet to speak to board of nursing, i will get into the program to save my nursing career. I am willing to do whatever it takes to still be a nurse. Thank you for welcoming me to SR. And to answer your question about withdrawl..I didnt experience anything too bad this time around, 2 years ago i saw an addiction phyciatrist who treated me with suboxone therapy..at that time i was having horrible withdrawls. I hadn't been using as many pills this time around, so i was able to get through without the use of anything. Thanks again
Old 07-12-2009, 06:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I want to thank all of you for your warm welcomes to SR. I am so glad i found this site, and am sure i will find so many words of encouragement here~ thanks
Old 07-12-2009, 06:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pillzrbadd View Post

I am willing to do whatever it takes to still be a nurse.
You will most likely be given a chance to still be a nurse.

You probably have a certain amount of time that you are required to notify the board of nursing of any violations of the law... Look into it ASAP, you want to get off on the best foot possible.

You are at their mercy... it is administrative law, ie.. they can do whatever they want to, unlike civil and criminal law, which is constitutionally governed. Which is why you don't want an overly aggressive lawyer... Just learn to do and say whatever it is they want you to... You will not be the first nurse or health care professional to have problems with pills in NY State... Recovery rates for nurses and physicians in state voluntary recovery programs are very high...

The board wants you to recover, but they are primarily there to protect the public. They are also understaffed, usually, for the numbers of nurses that get in trouble with pills, alcohol, DUI's, etc... So don't worry if they aren't warm and fuzzy...... that's not their job. They will get you into some type of support group where you will meet others, just like yourself...

Hold your head up, don't let shame or guilt bite you in the ass... Recover... We need all the nurses we can get... I bet you are a good one, stay in the game....

Please feel free to PM me if you like, as you can see I'm in PA, but the states usually model their programs after each other... There are some other nurses on the forum who may come along and share their experience, strength and hope.

Mark
Old 07-12-2009, 07:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Welcome, and keep coming back.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome! I am a newbie myself but I can tell you I know that I have found the right place! There is nothing but love and support from everyone here! I am so glad that you have come to the right place!! Keep up the posting it really works!!! Welcome Melissa!!!
Old 07-12-2009, 08:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have only been on SR for a few hours and suddenly i dont feel so alone anymore~ thank you all!!!!!
Old 07-12-2009, 08:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome pillzrbadd! I joined earlier today. This does seem like a good place for support. Glad you are here.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

You are most definitely not alone. I was another nurse who abused the heck out of opiates, stopped them with no problem, then discovered crack which took me down hard. I also have a criminal charge on my record.

I am not, at this point, trying to return to nursing, though I am trying to get back into the healthcare field and have not lost my license (it shows lapsed). The main reason for this is because I was not smart enough to embrace recovery early on. I sunk further into addiction, brought on many more consequences and dug myself into a pretty deep hole. I am still trying to dig myself OUT of that whole, 2+ years into recovery.

That being said, I may be "broke" in my checkbook, but I am very, very grateful for my life. Recovery isn't easy, but it is worth it. You can pm me if you have any questions.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 07-12-2009, 10:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome Pillz! When I first started reading your post, I remembered my sponsor telling me a story very similar to yours. Your story parallels hers to a tee! Interesting.

Welcome to SR!!!!!
Old 07-12-2009, 10:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR
Old 07-13-2009, 04:53 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome Pillz. Keep posting, you're right, you found a great site here.

This is just the beginning, the opportunities that lay ahead of you will be amazing!! I bet things don't look so bright now but with a lot of work and faith you can get your life back.

My suggestion to anyone coming in is to get a sponsor and work the 12 steps, they are key in recovery. Welcome and Keep Coming Back!!!!