Notices

Help!!!

Old 07-10-2009, 07:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Help!!!

Hi all!!! I need help and don't know where to begin!!! This is so hard for me! I have been drinking so much of my life I don't know how to stop!!! Last night I went out to a bar, said stupid things to people and have no idea how I got home!!! Waking up and begging my ex to please let me stay one more day as I have no where else to go!!! I am at bottom......46 years old and nothing to show for it but 3 beautiful children who I have let down over and over again!!! Had an ankle fusion 7 moths ago...was on complete bed rest and even though I have had drinking problems in the past it was a few times a year!! Now the bottle has become my best friend.....nothing like laying in bed with a bottle of rum and falling asleep!!! Meeting strange men and kissing....risking my job....2 DUI's and still I drink to become numb!!! Help....is there anyone out there who won't judge and offer advise? I called AA tonight...going to a meeting tomorrow!!!! I am so scared though....how do you go in??? Has anyone been there?? Thank you for your time!!! Just finally ready to live again!!!
Old 07-10-2009, 07:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi stilljustagirl

welcome to SR. I think very many people here know exactly what you're going through. It's a great place for support, advice and encouragement. I think getting face to face support like AA is great too.

Keep posting! I hope to see you around more - hope you get something out of your meeting as well

D
Old 07-10-2009, 07:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR :ghug we are all alcoholics here & understand. Stay close, read & share for now.

Take Care,

NB
Old 07-10-2009, 07:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome!

As Dee says, many people here are not judgmental and understand! You're among friends here! Please take some time and read the stickies. You'll find loads of information and help. I reread them from time to time and they still help me!

Any possibility of getting a detox? There may be some low-cost or even some free detox in your town. I really recommend getting medical help for it.

Love,

Lenina
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh, this might be helpful

# 6 (permalink)  

Thank you both!!! I hope one day to be better!!!!!! Thank you for welcoming me!
Old 07-10-2009, 07:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There is an alcohol forum too, here is a great read to understand what your going through.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

Alcoholism - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 07-10-2009, 07:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
grateful to be here

Still, I'm so glad you are here!! You are in the company of the some of the bestest people--just keep reading and posting and you will find that out.
Please don't be sorry - we've all been there in some way or another. Get up and go on. Do what you have to do. I'm just starting too-I'm 44 and have been drinking since 2 days before my 16th birthday. More than half my life. It's so hard thinking about the wasted everything--but I'm trying not to worry about all that. I'm determined to make it through this whole weekend sober. Feel free to join me No judgments here. And there is something that someone said in a post I read, that I love: "We don't shoot our wounded" I think that's awesome - I'm wounded right now, but hobbling around SR hanging out amongst some wonderful people who've made me feel welcome-- I want to pay that forward to you.... please, do come on in!

**Things I'm Doing Right Now: drinking juice, water, lots of liquids (not alcohol!!!) coming and posting to SR every single day (I usually start my day here) posting on one of the gratitude lists here (it's good to think about what you are grateful for) letting myself rest/sleep when I need to - taking care of myself as best as I can. I hope to get some energy back and start exercising here soon. Thinking about positive things/Reading positive stuff.

Look thru old posts as well as the new ones.... there are tons of tips from the people here who have way back sobriety dates who have been there and know what works. Take what helps you and let the rest go by...... take care!
Old 07-10-2009, 07:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

We've all been there to a certain extent. You made the right decision in seeking help, as going it alone in trying to get sober usually doesn't work. Go to an AA meeting. Let them know that you're a newcomer and need help. They'll take it from there. If for some reason you don't like the meeting or the people, then try another meeting. At see if there's a meeting schedule available. That'll give you an idea of the meetings in your area. And good luck. What you're about to go through won't be easy. But AA has saved countless lives, mine included.

And I also recommend that you get with your family doctor let him know what's going on. Detoxing from alcohol can be dangerous and is best done under medical supervision.

And don't worry about being judged. We've all been through this. You have a disease called alcoholism. It's not your fault that you're an alcoholic. You didn't ask to be one. You're responsible for your actions when drinking, but not for the disease itself. We don't judge one another, we try and help.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

be a real good idea to see the doc if your gonna stop abruptly...

detox can have serious medical complications....

long story short.......i was a street vagrant drinking 24/7 living hand to mouth.

i went to AA with an honest desire.(eventually)....to stop drinking.

i got a sponsor....got a big book.....and worked through the steps with that sponsor.

i never picked up another drink....and have remained sober and happy without booze.

at times it was bloody uncomfortable...but i couldnt go back..i was finshed in every respect.

lifes good today........i dont think of drinking......the obssession has gone.

freedom and peace has entered my life.......i truly am free.

go to that meeting....get a sponsor.....and ask him/her to work through the big book with you....

it worked for this hopeless drunk.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you so much!!! I am sitting here typing crying my eyes out!!! I have nobody to talk to anymore! No friends!!! I pushed everyone out of my life!!! It hurts so much!!! I am ready....one whole day without a drink and I am craving one so bad...I refuse to though!!!! I want to live again!!! Everyones kind words means so much to me!!! I said to my dad I am 46 and maybe I should just give up...he says I am 56 should I????? If I tell them I am a drunk they would be so hurt!! My mother says just stop it......she doesn't understand! Thank you all and looking forward to making new friends! I need anyone who is willing!!!
Old 07-10-2009, 07:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You can do this, feel free to post & share your pain too as its helpful to go back & read when you are struggling.

:praying
Old 07-10-2009, 07:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Dear Stilljustagrrrrl, ((((((((((My biggest largest HUGS))))))))))

I am SO SO SO GLAD that you came over hear and posted sweetie. I was sad when you left the meeting and worried for you knowing you are so new to SR. WELCOME to this big family of caring and NON-judgmental wonderful people and friends!!

THis is very hard for you that is obvious...please don't give up as it WILL get better. Please heed the good advice of others here and see your doctor and if that's too embarassing just see "A doctor" so he can help you detox safely. That is critically important when you've been a heavy drinker for along time.

I am thrilled that you sought the help of AA. Yes...it is scary to go on your first time - I know I did it...and NOW...it was the best best thing I've ever done for me in my entire life. They should give you a meeting list with some ladies phone numbers to reach out to for when or if you think you "must have a drink" to call first. Just like others have already said get a Big Book (it's the Alcoholics Anonymous Bible so to speak) and start reading. You will think you're reading about "Yourself" in a short time.

And for sure, stick with us like glue as much as you can in between and keep posting and let yourself be loved by all these lovely people who understand and really do CARE! Come back to the chat room when you feel ready and you can just stay and listen and not speak until your ready but it can be a help when your really feeling down sometimes it is very serious in there and sometimes its a laugh when you need one. At least if you are 'alone' it is like being in company and you will be welcomed.

If you get desperate tonite call back to AA or call a family member or friend if you feel you can. Reach out please! You will LIVE to know you made the right choice!

Love and big big hugs...take care of yourself!

Pancake XO
Old 07-10-2009, 07:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you!

Thank you soooo much!!! I have been reading and reading....I don't think anyone is as bad as me though!!! I am really a mess!!! I called AA again and he was not really helpful! I mean I just was a mess last night...I am so glad I found this site!!! I just know it will help! I am sorry for being such a pain to everyone! Just needed someone to be there and then remembered this .......thank you again!!!!
Old 07-10-2009, 07:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

STG,

noone here will judge you, and noone at AA will judge you. it's a struggle, but i know it is possible. look at the caring responses you receive from people who share similarities with you and have made it miles and miles down that road you are hoping to get on. please, make sure you go to AA tomorrow and post here as often as you can. the people here get it, and most importantly, they CARE about YOU until you are well enough to care for yourself. it really is a team effort, and i didn't believe it until i went to a meeting and began posting here. i promise you can get well.

my best to you

bh
Old 07-10-2009, 08:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Glad you are here. Hope you stick around.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I certainly hope your de tox is going smoothly...

AA? Yes... is the method I use to stay sober
and enjoy my new life.

Welcome to SR....
Old 07-10-2009, 08:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Hello and welcome to the SR community.
i hope you don't give up an yourself & that
you continue to seek the help you need.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome!
I'm close to your age too and had been drinking since I was a teen.
This website is full of wonderful people with a lot of good advice and information.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:24 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome! I hope you find what you need to stay here and recover!