Notices

cravings and anxiety...

Old 07-09-2009, 03:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

cravings and anxiety...

when were they the worst for everyone? any time i tried to make it through a full 24 hour period without drinking, i felt that if i could just get through the four hour window between 5 and 9 o'clock pm, i would be fine. i still have the cravings and anxiety after that, but that seemed to be the most intense time frame for me when i couldn't drink. for me to get off of work and not have my routine alcohol makes me a bit nervous and dizzy thining about it. since this is my first day, i'm hanging out with my sister for a large portion of that window. it should help. anyone else? when were the cravings the most severe? how did you cope?

bh
Old 07-09-2009, 03:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's great that you are changing your routine and making plans for the difficult hours. That is a really good idea. It really helped me when I did that.

The most difficult hours for me were always in the middle of the night, unable to sleep and agitated.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Congratulations on your decision to stop drinking! It's good that you identified the reason your cravings are at their strongest during this time frame. For many who are used to stopping on the way home for "a few" or drinking as soon as they get home, that time frame can be difficult at first. Anytime can be difficult at first to be honest, but millions of us have learned to live happy, productive and yes, even exciting lives without drinking and using.

It's a good idea to keep yourself busy during that period of time. I'm sure you won't want to hang out with your sister every day, so here's so suggestions as to how to keep yourself busy in a positive way.

Anyone who knows me, knows that I am going to strongly suggest going to AA Meetings.(I apologize if you are already going, I haven't been on SR too much lately.) Many towns have Meetings around 4:00 - 6:00. You can get there early and hang out afterwards. Not only are the Meetings going to help you in your Recovery, you can make new, clean friends in the Program. AA has so many activities, especially in the summer. Most areas have softball leagues, plan cookouts, have entire weekend days planned with tons of activities.

Sign up for the free 30 day trial periods at local gyms and health clubs. No, you don't have to join afterwards if you don't want to, but you can have 30 days to work out your frustrations and aggrevations as well as start taking better care of your body. We all pretty much neglect our health when we're drinking and this is a free way to get a good start. Who knows? You may find that you really enjoy this and most places have great, inexpensive programs due to the economy.

Start jogging, walking, just discovering all of the beauty that the world has to offer. The first few years I was in Recovery, I loved to just walk in the local parks or even in my neighborhood in the evenings when the sun was beginning to set. I made friends with neighbors who I never knew existed!

Many places such as senior centers, youth centers, animal shelters, ect., all need volunteers. For me, getting out of myself and thinking of others really helps me a great deal. When I get to feeling down about certain situations that may be taking place in my life, it always helps me to do something for others. Even committing to one evening a week can make a huge difference in not only your life, but the lives of others as well.

Again, congrats on your decision! Trust me, I never imagined in my wildest dreams that my life could be so wonderful without drinking and using. I am nearing 4 years in a few weeks and my life has never been fuller.

God Bless & just take it One Day at A Time,
Judy

Old 07-09-2009, 04:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Cope by filling those times with activities.

Fitness & exercise, doing things with sober people, watching a movie, etc.

Don't just stop drinking and not make any other changes or it will drive you nutzzzz.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
grateful to be here

broken i'm with ya on the tough hours being between getting of work and bed. it is a big routine with me too. my first real honest try at getting thru a weekend is coming up tomorrow and i'm scared i will cave in and stay in my safe rut.....but for my health i need to climb out and get a grip on something, anything. people have told me i need to find things to fill up the dead spaces. i'm off monday too so i'm trying to think of things to do. i'm sure a lot of it will be coming here (please don't let the board go down for maintenance!!) and trying to get myself motivated to clean house (inwards and outwards). i wish you the best
Old 07-09-2009, 04:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

There were no special times for me BH. It was all pretty bad for a while.

I just kept busy, I kept reminding myself of the benefits of being sober and kept playing the tape through on the bad consequences. I also reminded myself that I could think whatever I liked, but I never needed to act on them

It does get easier

D
Old 07-09-2009, 05:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Danger times of day for me are between 5:00 and 7:00 pm. Happy hour. If I can get a nice dinner in me with some non-alcoholic drinks, I am over the hump and have no cravings the rest of the night. Everyone is different, but it's very good to be very aware of of the vulnerable times of day for YOU. I think some food and drink (like a nice bubbly cranberry fizzy drink on ice) helps me a lot. That is also the time of day when blood sugar dips and thirst creeps in, so if I address those needs of my body, I am much better able to ignore the craving. Keeping busy helps me, too. Just moving around doing things --- distraction. I don't have cravings everyday, but when I do, I have to learn to deal with them. I am certainly no expert at this and still working on it!!!
Old 07-09-2009, 05:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

For me too it's the middle of the night when I wake up and can't get back to sleep. My cravings aren't that bad but when anxiety bothers me is when I think about the 'quick fix' of drinking... only that drinking will make the anxiety worse.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi BH - I'm right there with Hopeful999. My cravings started when I started dinner mostly. I had to change the routine as Anna said. In the beginning I just did not do the kitchen at happy hour. I played outside with my son and we usually ate breakfast food in the beginning. Hard to crave the alcohol when I'm having a pancake. I also would do the cranberry juice with clear soda and I still love that. I think variety of non-alcoholic drinks is key.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thanks for all the awesome responses. i made it through that window, but was struggling so i had to drive to my parents house to use the internet. i don't have it where i live right now (money problems?), but i am aware of how much this forum is going to help me. i know i can't rely on just a few coping mechanisms since it seems like i am going to need an arsenal of tools to remain sober.

it almost feels like i am in mourning over losing an abusive best friend... Jason from friday the 13th, he was the best. too bad he's dead. wait, maybe lightening will strike and he'll come back out to play. damn it i hope not. midnight will be 24 hours. thank you all for the tips and support.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

brokenhalo,

Good for you for another sober day! All of the suggestions here are good ones. For me it was changing the scene and getting a new routine that helped a lot. Also writing it down, the feelings while they were happening so I could read back and see that I survived the anxiety and stayed sober.

Love,

Lenina