Notices

Cutting down instead of quitting

Old 07-10-2009, 02:52 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Probably not, effort! All my friends/family manage to stick to one or two drinks, even on the holidays. No one but me ever drank to get wasted. I once found that so annoying - like why bother drinking at all if you're not going to get buzzed? Now I see how crazy that thinking was.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:36 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Administrator

Don't most people get drunk once a week?
I have no idea, effortjoy. Once I would have sworn yes, of course they did. Now, like Joanie, I doubt it.

As a reference point, I do know that USA guidelines on moderate drinking suggest

The Guidelines emphasize moderation for those who choose to drink –defined as the consumption of up to one drink a day for women and up to two drinks a day for men

5 fluid ounces of wine, 12 fluid ounces of regular beer, or 1.5 fluid ounces of 80-proof distilled spirits count as one drink for purposes of explaining moderation.
That's a whole lot less than your one bottle at one sitting EJ.

I don't mean to be seen as targeting you but everytime you post, I see things I used to say or think and they spring up out of the screen at me....and you still seem unsure, so I'll play devils advocate.

This is such a red flag, effortjoy -

I used to only drink on weekends even though I got drunk every time I drank, my life seemed normal then.
For me, its not so much how much someone drinks, or how often, cos that varies so much from person to person- for me, its whether they drink til they drop and why they drink - and your reason is a doozy, EJ.

If drinking makes life 'normal', will one bottle on a Friday night be enough?

You used to drink only on weekends?
so....what happened?
How are you going to make sure that doesn't happen again?

D
Old 07-10-2009, 05:31 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hey effortjoy, after hearing that you were NOT able to moderate your drinking on vacation, I will change my stance on this and say you should NOT continue drinking. It doesn't sound healthy at all, even drinking a bottle of wine in one sitting once a week. When I was talking about moderating I was thinking 1-2 drinks in one night over the weekend. If you can't do that, I would say it's a bad idea.

I actually don't think most people get drunk once a week. I see alcohol everyone --- it's all over the place at events I go to. Heck, it's what adults do for fun. But I do believe that most people don't drink to get drunk.

Keep thinking through this and let us know how things go.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:23 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by effortjoy View Post
Don't most people get drunk once a week?
What most people do really has nothing to do with it. The BB talks about how we see others drinking with impunity. Non-alcoholics may or may not get drunk once a week. For them, getting drunk now and then or even frequently is not a problem. They can get drunk or not get drunk when they want to. The can have a couple to chill out.

"We hope we have made clear the distinction between the alcoholic and the non-alcoholic. If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely, or if when drinking, you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic." AA Big Book, Ch4, 1st Ed.

I have absolutely no interest in convincing you on which side of the line you fall. But I also know that my own delusions run deep. Yours may as well. If you can control your drinking, then why not have a few? Drink when you want and have only as much as you want. Simple.

But not so simple if you're like me. I tried to drink on weekends only. I tried to only have two every night. I tried a hundred different forms of controlling my drinking. None of it worked. Within short time, I was back to drinking around the clock.

I think you're hearing a consistent message that moderation does not work if you are an alcoholic. I can't think of a single example where it has. The alcoholics I know that try moderating always end up in the same place they started from.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:12 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi effortjoy......

From your shares I don't think you are ready to quit drinking.
That's certainly up to you....you were alcohol
free long enough to choose.
All my best ..
Old 07-10-2009, 08:08 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I went out last night with my husband for his birthday. We went out to dinner and then to a spot with music/coffeehouse/bar. My husband ordered a beer and I had an Italian soda. We settled into some arm chairs and talked.

I thought to myself, what if I ordered a beer? Could I handle it? and my honest response was, tonight, probably, yeah. I could probably start drinking tonight and stop myself before I became a wreck. BUT>>>
I know that I would be having a constant conversation in my head all night about the next drink, if, how, when, how much is too much. And then the insanity would start all over again. And there would be no guarantee that the next time I picked up, that I wouldn't get smashed like I did in the past.
There is no success for me in moderation, because I judge it by the quality of how it affects myself and others. If I had a beer last night, I would not have have the real conversation with my husband that I had, not the enjoyable game of backgammon that we played together, or most importantly, the peace and confidence that I feel this morning.

I have been a high functioning alcoholic. I never really hit a huge bottom in my personal life, as far as some people's story goes. But I do know that if I decide to drink, that bottom is there waiting for me.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:59 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Smynthia, that's such a good point. Just because we may be able to moderate on one occasion doesn't mean it'll be that way every time. I once quit for 3 yrs. & started up again. I had never bought the fact that I'd have to go through life without alcohol. I attended a reception and only had two drinks. I thought I was cured of ever getting drunk again - I could trust myself to use willpower - yay! That was the one & only day I was able to control it. All future attempts at using willpower were futile - I was off and running again. This time it was for years.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:07 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

when I drink I cant tell for sure when I will stop, and many times there is no telling what will happen.

russian roulete

FF
Old 07-10-2009, 10:11 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by smynthia View Post
And there would be no guarantee that the next time I picked up, that I wouldn't get smashed like I did in the past.
I've said it before on this forum. The worst possible consequence for an alcoholic who drinks again is nothing. Leaving alone the physical craving that starts right back up, 'getting away with it' starts all that mental trickery that is a hallmark of my alcoholism.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:18 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mistycshore View Post
Non-alcoholic people don't put effort into controlling their drinking; they don't have to.
Well said!