SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Denial... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/180018-denial.html)

tommyk 07-08-2009 10:14 AM

Denial...

I spoke in a rehab last night.

There was a guy there who asked me what he could do to get over being in denial. (This was not his first rehab.)

So I figured if I could lead him around to realizing that he was in rehab because he had a drug/alcohol problem, and that the root of the drug/alcohol problem might actually be the denial, it could be helpful.

I asked him, "Where are you right now?"

He said, "In rehab."

I asked him if he could carry out his regular lifestyle and be a functioning member of soceity while he is in rehab.

He said yes, because he is on disability, so it didn't matter where he was anyhow.

So much for my bright idea. ;)

1_day@_a_time 07-08-2009 10:32 AM

dang tommy! amazing, huh?

see the 12 x 12, emotionally ill & frequently wrong.

it's the only explaination for soooo many things in life.

vegibean 07-08-2009 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by tommyk (Post 2289574)
I spoke in a rehab last night.

There was a guy there who asked me what he could do to get over being in denial. (This was not his first rehab.)

So I figured if I could lead him around to realizing that he was in rehab because he had a drug/alcohol problem, and that the root of the drug/alcohol problem might actually be the denial, it could be helpful.

I asked him, "Where are you right now?"

He said, "In rehab."

I asked him if he could carry out his regular lifestyle and be a functioning member of soceity while he is in rehab.

He said yes, because he is on disability, so it didn't matter where he was anyhow.

So much for my bright idea. ;)

LMFAO!!! Well, you had to ask didn't ya? :headbange:e142:

Aysha 07-08-2009 06:24 PM

Yea..That made me laugh too.

That topped any dumb ass answer I have ever given to anything.
And I have had a million of em. LOL

NewBeginning010 07-08-2009 07:51 PM

Nice try Tommy lol. What would you ask now if you could?

least 07-08-2009 08:31 PM

Given his response to your question, I don't think anything you said could help him find his way out of his denial... Nice try tho...

The fact that he thinks he could live his 'normal' life in rehab, due to being on disability, makes me think he has major "problems" besides chemical dependancy. I'm on disability and could not in any way live a 'normal' life in a rehab facility. So this guy is in more than 'denial', he's in a fantasy world of his own and I doubt you can/could get thru to him.

tommyk 07-09-2009 07:33 AM

It was a great for me, I handled it without any frustration.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.

I know that several years ago I would have obsessed over the situation trying to figure out how to get that guy to 'think like I do'. Today I just realize that different people are on different journeys, and I help those who want my help.

;)

gravity 07-09-2009 08:16 AM

There was a guy who attended our meetings a while back. His drinking led him to living on the streets of our small town & we would often see him staggering around, dirty & drunk.

After a couple of months sober, he was offered a job by another AA member - working construction. He refused because he didn't want anyone to see him out in public doing unskilled labour!

Pride.

Unbelievable!

NewBeginning010 07-09-2009 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by tommyk (Post 2290325)
It was a great for me, I handled it without any frustration.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.

I know that several years ago I would have obsessed over the situation trying to figure out how to get that guy to 'think like I do'. Today I just realize that different people are on different journeys, and I help those who want my help.

;)

Good for you TommmyK :scoregood Nicely done!

Aysha 07-09-2009 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by gravity (Post 2290373)
There was a guy who attended our meetings a while back. His drinking led him to living on the streets of our small town & we would often see him staggering around, dirty & drunk.

After a couple of months sober, he was offered a job by another AA member - working construction. He refused because he didn't want anyone to see him out in public doing unskilled labour!

Pride.

Unbelievable!

Some things you just cant make up...Real life is often stranger and most def more funny than fiction.