Notices

Member of the club no one wants to join

Old 07-07-2009, 10:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
CLZ

Member of the club no one wants to join

Hi...I'm going to be honest and say that I'm not sure what to say...but I think the bigger problem is that I don't know what to do.

I'm an alcoholic. There. That's the first time I've written or said or even thought that.

I can say where it started, I can say why it continued but I can't justify it in regards to my life, my obligations or my relationships.

The ironic part? Usually the only time I'm aware as to how deep my dependency runs is when I'm drinking. When I'm sober, the only things that go through my head are "Oh, it's not so bad." or "It's not like I got so drunk I threw up." or "Just one more night where I drink myself to sleep." Naturally one more night turns into every night and I've hardly been sober after 6 pm in over 10 months.

I'm a 23 year old student, finishing up her psychology degree (yes, please pause for an amused laugh-seriously, it's ok, I did) in December. I've been going to school since I was 18 but had to go part time a lot so I could work to pay my tuition. Lost my job in May due to the fact that I worked at a state school and budget cuts meant job cuts. For the record, I've found the best comeback to people complaining about waking up at 6am to go to work is "I wake up 5am to have a drink so I don't have to think about not waking up at 6am for work." Sorry, gallows humor. It's the one thing I've managed to retain from my early youth.

Anyway, my life situation goes beyond what I just mentioned but I'm not sure how much of a 'share and care' place this is so I won't go into it. I don't mean that to sound rude or mellow dramatic, I mean it more in the sense that I don't want to whine or subject you all to my venting...if that makes any sense...sorry, I don't do web forums often...as in ever. As it were I'm a bit of a techniphobe and now I'm rambling so I'll stop.

In truth, for my own reasons, I just wanted to publicly state my problem to people who understand better than, say, my friends who wear binge drinking extravaganzas like an eagle scout badge. And again, not sure what is ok in this place (even though I've read the rules). Every forum has it's own norms and like I said, I have a huge gallows humor which doesn't always go over well. In the past said mindset has helped me through some pretty rough times...now it just makes me feel normal to invoke my humoristically dark side. Sometimes it makes my friends laugh but mostly it makes them wonder which asylum would be appropriate to drop me off at. Fingers crossed-I hope they decide on one that has a padded room with a view.

So, I’m going to stop writing nervous stream of conscious and just say hello, my “name” is CLZ and I’m an alcoholic.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi CLZ Congratulations on taking the first step towards your recovery.

We are a pretty good share & care website.

I look forward to hearing about your recovery.

Take Care,

NB
Old 07-07-2009, 10:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi CLZ

Welcome to SR

I remember those sober rationalisations very well.
This is a good place - I hope you'll find it useful

good luck in yr journey
D
Old 07-07-2009, 11:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome! I find that a sense of humor goes a long way to help with recovery. Have you heard of Rule 62?

Are you checking out plans for staying sober? I am an alcoholic too and found it very hard to admit even though I knew I was way before anyone else did.

Again welcome!

Lenina
Old 07-07-2009, 11:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm always so pleased when young people join us
looking for answers for a healthy better future....

I'm Carol...a grateful recovered alcoholic

Welcome to SR.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Resident

Welcome CLZ.
Congratulations on taking the first step to a better life.
Personally I like a lot of humor of all types so share with us ,make us laugh, and laugh along with us.
Good luck to you.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

"Member of the club no one wants to join..."

I become more and more thankful each day that I joined this club.

My 'new' life is 1000 times better than I ever dreamed.

Keep coming back.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi CLZ,

You sound like me at 23. Unfortunately, I didn't have the presence of mind to try and change things. The end result was 13 years of misery that I wouldn't wish on anyone.

I wore my drinking like a badge of honor too. So did my friends. Most of them, however, were able to put it aside and move on with life. I moved on to massive benders, crack houses, and near destitution. Don't let that happen...please.

The flip side is that if you get sober now the world is your oyster. You can and will accomplish anything beyond your wildest dreams. I know because I'm living it. I put it all aside at 36 and now at 49 am a husband, dad, teracher, and doctoral candidate. you're 23? Whoa! You've got it all before you.

My path to sobriety was AA. Yours may be different, but please give sobriety a shot. It is most definitely worth it.

Mike
Old 07-08-2009, 04:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for seeking help at such a young age. That's great! I'm convinced now that when you're in recovery, it's like "going backwards" toward your youth, fixing the problem, and then returning to the real world. By that, I mean that the longer we go forward drinking, the farther we'll have to go back and fix the problem...You should be at an advantage, both youth-wise and health-wise.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome! I enjoy humor as well and thought about interjecting a few jokes in about my drinking... in the end was worried that people would think I was taking it lightly, which am I not. But humor is what gets me through at times. Keep posting.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! :ghug3 I'm glad you joined our family. We really do care about each other and want to see ourselves in sobriety, learning and growing. Keep coming back, post your questions and your venting, and read our stories. Welcome!:ghug3
Old 07-08-2009, 06:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Welcome CLZ, my name is Donna and I AM an Alcoholic. I think its great that you are trying to better your life at this time, I did not at that age and suffered many consequences due to my addiction. Congratulations. Keep posting.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I guess we're all in the club that no one wants to join.

It's a big step, but a good one. This is a great place to share. Good luck on your road to personal recovery!
Old 07-08-2009, 06:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Hi CMZ, I am Cathy and I am an Acloholic.

Welcome to SR, I look forward to reading of your journey into recovery, not always easy...but always worth it!
Old 07-08-2009, 07:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi CLZ, welcome to SR you are amongst friends. Good for you on acknowledging your problem at such a young age. I was 50 when I first wrote "I am an alcoholic" and I was on my 6th day in the hospital from an RX drug overdose that nearly killed me. Once I wrote those words I was on my road to recovery, and when I reflect on the past it is generally with shame and regrets.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome CLZ, You have made A great decision! Hope you stick around and continue to post-- I like your humor. There is some great advice on here.

Surleyred-- That cathat crackes me up!!!
Old 07-08-2009, 08:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi CLZ, glad you found SR and jumped in. I am an alcoholic (and addict). I too pursued a degree in psychology (the horrors of the APA format still haunt me).
Keep posting, this is a great place to be.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Old 07-09-2009, 02:15 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

CLZ, welcome...

i'm pattee, and i'm a alcoholc too...

too bad i didn't do something about it like you at a young age...

but noooooooooooooooooooooo!

i waited to the age of 48!!! egads!

it's a wonderful sober life now...

good wishes to you CLZ
Old 07-09-2009, 04:09 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Glad you are here. Hope you stick around.