Notices

Taking the plunge

Old 07-07-2009, 09:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Taking the plunge

Just needed to post this, as I'm driving myself up the wall with anxiety, relapse, and so on. You all know the spiral.

But I'm finally stepping up to the plate and seeing a doctor after many years without getting checked up, and I'm pretty terrified about what I will or won't find out about the damage that's been done.

For the folks who have made it, how did you handle the waiting game? White knuckle it? Drink through it?

How did you handle the results when you got them, good or bad?

Thanks for letting me share.

RS
Old 07-07-2009, 09:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

The outcome is really out of your hands, it is in God's hands. If you can hold onto that, it will make it easier. Drinking will only make things worse. You are taking the action of seeing your Doctor, after that, Turn it Over. Good Luck.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Whats done is done. If anything at all has been done. I am sure from years of drinking your gonna get some kind of news. But dont hype yourself up for the worst. Take it as it comes. Try not to project anything. And just know that now you are finally going to see a Dr that anything that may be wrong. Can now be addressed. And drinking will only make it worse. I am glad your goin to get checked out. Good luck.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

"Drink through it?"

What for?

There is no problem or situation that drinking can't make worse. Not enough pain in your life?

Old 07-07-2009, 09:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Heathen

WTF why would you drink through it?

Ask the doc's office what to do in the mean time, I doubt they'll tell you to continue drinking..
Old 07-07-2009, 10:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just be grateful for what you have right now, right at this moment.

You are here, you are living your life, and you're moving forward.

Good luck with the dr.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It took me getting some real recovery before I could face those things. I had to straighten out spiritually before I could approach any way of straightening out physically.

So, when I knew what to do, I went to the doc and had all the tests done. And the outcome held little fear. Yeah, a little, but I was OK with whatever outcome it was.

Turns out, and I don't know if it's an alkie thing or a me thing, it wasn't as bad as I thought. Almost nothing in real life is as bad as my thinking can make it. I can catastrophize almost any occurrence. That's why I need recovery.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Don't worry about what you've done in the past or fear what is coming in the future. If you can't be in the present moment accepting what is you'll always be searching for a quick fix to a misery that is only an illusion. You drank, you see a doctor, you get information, you act on it, in the moment. Drinking your way through it is only giving you more of what you've got.

__________________________________________________ ______________________
"Many of us crucify ourselves between two thieves - regret for the past and fear of the future."
- Fulton Oursler
__________________________________________________ ___________