Notices

Nothing changes, if nothing changes!!!

Old 07-07-2009, 07:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Nothing changes, if nothing changes!!!

Well I can't get this out of my head: I am really bummed about the many people that I know that have relapsed I no it can happen, I was in treatment with these people and they were given the same tools as I was but they just did'nt know how to use them...........It is very unfortunate, I can never say that this wouldnt happen to me but I work very hard on my recovery one day at a time.........I just hope that they can pick themselves up and try again.....I need alittle feedback on this situation since I am early in sobriety, to get through this.........

:praying
Old 07-07-2009, 07:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Take care of YOU. This is one of the reasons I didn't personally get involved in any type of group recovery because you do grow to care so much about the other people and when 1 fails it would be too difficult for me. People fail at lots of things all the time don't let it bring you down try to use it to make yourself stronger.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey it happens. Its sad its threatening, its scary. It reminds us that it can happen to us. I was inpatient 3 months ago and got real close to half a dozen people, who I know consider friends. 3 of them relapsed within days. I feel terrible but I can't live their lives for them. I can only look after myself and my sobriety. I have relapsed in the past, it just seems that I hadn't bottomed out enought and did not want it enough. I let life circumstance dictate my sobriety. I hope that my friends will get and take advantage of another shot at recovery. We're all capable of making it, there are just different variables impacting all of us. I am 92 days sober, that must be my focus.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's about working on recovery every single day. For me, I need balance in my life and I work on that each day. As you are finding out recovery is not something that you can take for granted.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I was in treatment with these people and they were given the same tools as I was but they just did'nt know how to use them
I find that statement hard to believe.
If they were given the same tools as you. They were also taught how to use them as well.
They chose not to is how I see it.
There is nothing you can do about anyone else. Focus on yourself. And just learn from their mistake. Hold tight to your tools and use them every chance you get.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Very interesting thread.

We just don't always know why relapses happen. When they do, and people share, I really try to pay attention. Anything I can learn, I'll take!

One thing I think I've picked up....and I could be totally wrong, but sometimes people say they 'kinda knew' it was going to happen. If I ever feel that way, I will be on SR so fast....it'll make my head spin!

Like others have said.....concentrate on YOU!
Old 07-07-2009, 10:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I would view this as a message from my Higher Power why I'm grateful to be sober & active in my recovery. What happens when I don't practice the principles & apply them as a way of life.

A reminder of just how powerful this disease really is.

That I need to be diligent about changing everything in my life, connecting with God and specifically to watch my thought life.

That courtesy, kindness, justice & love will bring be into harmony with almost everyone.

That's what works for me........for a number of years now, with no relapses, yet.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know how you feel. I sometimes think something that's inside me will crack and I will fall back into it. I try really hard not to think too far ahead, because for some reason I feel really safe and healthy when I just live in the moment and stop worrying about what's coming next. Or what's happened before. Sometimes it helps.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Two ways to learn from watching other people in recovery:

How to do it.

How not to do it.

Both ways are extremely important to observe.