Notices

Not looking forward to my day

Old 07-07-2009, 07:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not looking forward to my day

I got called for jury duty this week. Yesterday I was selected to sit on a jury panel where we get questioned and eventually selected for the jury, or dismissed. (voir dire)

Today will be my day to be questioned.

The problem is, it is a criminal case that involves child abuse and mental illness. I have already watched the court question 18 people. So I know that they're going to ask me about my experiences with child abuse, and my parents' mental illness. These are not things I talk about and not something I'm willing to say in front of 50 strangers. I know I can ask for a sidebar (private conversation with judge and attorneys) but even doing that lets others know that I have "secrets"...

Very uncomfortable day coming up. I have to keep reminding myself that my parents' actions are not my fault and not a reflection of me... blah, blah, blah! Easier said than done!

Please let them dismiss me from this case! It'll be bad enough to have to answer their questions today. It'll be much worse if I have to sit and listen to stories about child abuse and a mentally unstable Mother. Blah!

Sorry for the vent!
Old 07-07-2009, 07:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hopefully the attorneys questioning you will be smart and see from your eyes and/or your expression that you would not be a good choice. I've never been picked for a jury, only been called about 3 times, and I think it's because I make a point of showing what I feel through my eyes/face. Good luck
Old 07-07-2009, 07:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope that you will not have to say more than you are comfortable saying.

If you are chosen, try to see it as an opportunity to help a child. I SO OFTEN wish that an adult had reached out to help me, but no one ever did. This could be your chance to that for a child.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 51anna View Post
I hope that you will not have to say more than you are comfortable saying.

If you are chosen, try to see it as an opportunity to help a child. I SO OFTEN wish that an adult had reached out to help me, but no one ever did. This could be your chance to that for a child.
Thanks! I know I'll have to say more than I'm comfortable saying, so I'm just trying to fortify myself. I'm not comfortable saying anything. My closest friends don't know I was a foster kid or any of that crap.

Fortunately, the child is already out of danger. The Mother has already been convicted by a different jury. This hearing will decide if the Mother is legally insane or not. So she will either be going to jail or a mental institute. I would have to help decide if the Mother gets help or not. If I'm picked, I will have to work very hard to be compassionate, but not too compassionate. I'm not even sure which way I might swing. Too angry at the Mother because of my anger? Or too compassionate because I do deep down wish that my parents would get help and somehow magically become healthy great parents.

I know EXACTLY what you mean about wishing that an adult would have reached out to help. Still working on my anger in that department with my therapist.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

YOU have an entire group at this forum who care about you.........

Take each & everyone of us with you today.

May the force be with you!
Old 07-07-2009, 10:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I hope the best for you. Sometimes things happen to us, and when they're over....we realize why they happened.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I hope it all goes ok for you, I'll be thinking of you! (((HUGS)))
Old 07-07-2009, 06:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

(((Chama)))

D
Old 07-07-2009, 07:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've tried to post here 3 times and everytime, I lose it! I really thought the last time worked!

I'm home and doing fine. I got dismissed from the case (Yay!)

Thank you everyone for your support. I was a bit freaked out!
Old 07-08-2009, 04:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

YAY!!!!!!!! Congrats Chama.