Notices

night 2

Old 07-06-2009, 12:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

night 2

Well last night I pushed forward and continued to taper my drinking down. I haven't been drinking for a long time only about 6months however I drink every night before bed, only red wine (not like it makes a difference it still alchol) I use to only have a glass or 2 (large glass) an then it finally started to reach just over 1 bottle 750ml. so I have decided to taper down last night was night 2 I was able to drop it to 550ml which is about 3/4 of a wine bottle. I feel like hot garbage this morning I think I have got a cold bad timing but still not an excuse to continue drinking ,and didnt sleep as well only a few hours but I am happy to be moving in the right direction. I only started to drink to help with my sleeping problems b/c i didnt want to take sleeping pills have a anxiety about taking pills so i thought red wine would be better. I am so glad I came across this fourm I had no idea how TERRIBLE achol is for you thanks to everyone for there supprot.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR my friend. Please keep coming back and reading and posting. It helps a lot. Sorry to hear about the cold....summer colds are the worst.

Hoping more folks show ya some love. Peace.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks ken,
I hate summer colds too. could also be algergy
Old 07-06-2009, 08:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for keeping us updated AMDDE.
Hope yr cold is better soon

D
Old 07-06-2009, 08:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on tapering down! I hope it continues to do well for you.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Keep at it AMDDE! Sorry to hear about the cold/allergy, hope you are feeling better soon.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Many a drinking problem has started from needing booze to sleep. Hopefully you got this thing in its infancy and cutting down can be viable. If you are an alcoholic, even an early one, you may still be able to taper off for awhile. And then later you will go back to drinking as much as you were before and more. That is how it happened for me at least. Up to you to find out for yourself whether or not you actually have a problem.
By the way, alcohol is not intrinsically "terrible." It only is if you use it in a compulsive/destructive way. The booze isn't the problem, the person consuming it is.
Be careful.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hi hendershot,

I couldn't agree more with what you are saying. I new it was becoming a problem when the amount started to increase and the thought I need it to sleep, I could see it is a problem I know this is probaly is not the best way to quit because of the chance of cutting down and then sprining back up. but unfortunately I have bad anxiety and and scared of taking pills so I hope that with the support from this fourm and family god and whatever will power I can muster up that I will kick it.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

As someone who has dealt with lots of anxiety issues, I can attest to the fact that alcohol makes them much worse. I once had a doctor explain it to me and I am no neurologist but basically alcy messes up your brain's ability to produce the chemicals needed to calm down anxiety because it depresses your central nervous system. Alcohol turns normal anxiety into debilitating anxiety.
I actually can't swallow pills, I don't know if this is what you mean. Anyway, most medication comes in multiple forms, not just pills. And if your Dr. is unaware of this, insist that there are alternatives and for him to look it up in the big book of drugs Dr.'s have. Orally disentigrating tablets or liquids are common. If none are produced by the company, there are specialty pharmacies in most parts of the country that can make them special for you (for $$ of course). Glad you are here, good luck.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

AMDDE, like hendershot said... hope you caught this in it's infancy. My disease is a full grown 7'4" 284 lb monster!~ Seriously, all joking aside... it sucks to be addicted. I am so thankful for my SR community. We are here anytime you need support.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great to hear that you are moving toward a new life in recovery
Old 07-07-2009, 09:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Just out of curiosity, why are you tapering instead of quitting? I didn't read your first post(s) so I apologize if this has been clarified. That's just hell!
Old 07-07-2009, 10:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It's really hard to taper down our drinking. I tried it many times. The best thing to do is to connect with someone who is successfully sober or just go to an AA meeting. They will be able to help you there. You're in my prayers...
Old 07-07-2009, 11:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wow that's great that you can taper down! I never could and had to just stop all together. Good luck!
Old 07-07-2009, 11:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

One of the worst things for a cold?

Alcohol.

It dehydrates your body when your body needs fluids the most.

Maybe put down the alcohol and see if you start feeling better...?
Old 07-07-2009, 01:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome AMDEE! Glad to see you are getting some support here. Is it possible for you to just stop the drinking instead of tapering off? I always found I slept worse after drinking, not better.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

hi misstep,

I didnt want to just stop out opf fear of wwithdrawls so I decided to taper it down to a low level and then just quit, as I have an anxiety over taken medications.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

so how did night 3 go AMDDE - or are my timezones out? LOL

D