Notices

Family History

Old 07-05-2009, 05:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Family History

So... truth be known, there is alcoholism in my family. My maternal grandfather was an alcoholic. Irish, catholic, in America w/ 7 kids. Divorced from family, quit drinking for many years, as long as I knew him, we loved him at his death. But my Mom and her sibs probably have different memories of him.

Other side: English, French, Irish.... somehow the kids ended w/ drinking problems (my Dad and his brother). They both got prostrate cancer, and in the end it killed my uncle (not alcohol), my Dad is still alive and living w/ prostate cancer, in a band, and *very* happy.

Though..... I did have lots of weird experiences w/ my Dad as a substance abuser. He used to drink and pass out at family events. One night, he had 4 glasses of Merlot, and started crying. I was confused, because I was very lucid that night. He said, "Okay, I am an alcoholic." And he started crying. I was weirded out and confused. My Mom then told me was a "substance abuser." W/ valium. alcohol, etc. From that day forward, I have never seen him drink. We are an odd bunch.

Thanks for listening.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

One of the most horrifying (at the time) things about reaching my bottom was realizing that as much as I hated the behavior of my alcoholic family members, I was just like them, or getting there.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My maternal GM died of alcoholism. My sister battled the disease her whole life, (now 3 years AF) I didn't drink the same way that she did, so I often told myself her drinking problem was worse.

Now I know it's the same as mine, just manifested in a different way.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I grew up in what in what I like to call CIA, Catholic Irish Alcoholics. Promised myself it would never get me, but it did !!!!! Both my brothers are the same.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have relatives on both sides of the family with alcoholism. One uncle passed away several years ago with 30+ years of sobriety thanks to AA.