Notices

What will you gain by controlling your complacency?

Old 07-02-2009, 10:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question What will you gain by controlling your complacency?

My counselor asked my this question the other night, What will you gain by controlling your complacency?
I have a lot to gain, It's more like what do I have to lose by not controlling my complacency,
I think by not being complacent you will take recovery more serious, and know that my recovery comes first.

so what do you have to gain?

Thanks everybody, have a safe & sober 4th!!
Old 07-02-2009, 11:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
where the light is

Well, I can tell you some of the things I’ve gained by taking action, by not being complacent:

Sobriety - Pushing myself to get help & to take the 12 steps. Maintaining my spiritual fitness. Learning from other alcoholics & spiritual leaders, strengthening my sobriety.

Health & Fitness – I exercise everyday (whether I want to or not) & I am trying to eat better (somewhat successful).

Career – I am getting much better at following up on assignments, returning phone calls/e-mails, more decisive – I am the go-to guy at work.

Family – Taking my role as a father & husband much more seriously rather than sitting on the couch & expecting my wife to carry most of the load. Being there for them at all times.

What is sometimes difficult is accepting that for most things there is no quick fix. It really is a journey. It takes months or years to accomplish some of the most important things in life & it is all too easy to become complacent.

I also have to be realistic. There are many things I do purely for enjoyment. There will be off-days. I also have time & energy limitations. I can’t expect to be working towards these higher aspirations 24/7.

Today I have peace of mind, no alcoholic obsession, & I’m enjoying life. I’m in good physical shape & I have much more energy. My family is happy and my career is going well.

But I have to recognize that without my sobriety, I have nothing.

What I always like to hear about is what exactly people are doing to “take recovery more serious” - the actual physical actions that are key to their recovery. Perhaps another thread!
Old 07-03-2009, 11:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

true meanings

I was recently in a meeting where the topic was complacentcy and I was challenged to look it up in the dictionary. I was shocked at what it meant. I challenge you to do the same
Old 07-03-2009, 06:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

yeah, its like the addict or alcoholic voice that says...

"all is ok, no worries...

just keep on doing what your doing...

your doing just what i want!"
Old 07-03-2009, 08:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good post gravity! I agree if I don't take action to stay sober I will drink- experience has taught me that! I MUST be actively involver in staying sober or I will fail. I've been complacent for years, and all it got me was drunk.
Personally Digital, I agree My recovery must come first if I am to Succeed