Notices

Where I am at, 6 months later

Old 07-01-2009, 03:07 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Lisa that was an awesome post and congrats on the 6 months sober. Post like yours are so helpful to some one new to sobriety, it gives them hope that if they can just hold on and do the work they need to do to change things do really get better.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:58 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

awesome!!!
Old 07-01-2009, 04:50 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Congratulations and all the best to you int he future!
Old 07-01-2009, 06:00 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Congrats, Lisa!

Can you tell us more about the coping skills that you learned? I'm over 2 months sober and still struggling with the whole thing.

OB
Old 07-01-2009, 06:41 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Congrats! Thank you for posting this!

I've already mentioned to you how happy it made me to see that you've changed your name here. I think the fact that you decided to do that says a lot about how your self-image has changed over the past 6 months. Very inspirational to me!

Awesome job!
Old 07-01-2009, 07:16 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
jimbo

thank you for sharing ,i cant wait till i'm a few months down the line feeling great and growing new hair .... ok not the new hair but i'll settle for the rest
Old 07-01-2009, 12:14 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
mergirl

Thanks everybody

What are you struggling with ocean? For me, the very first thing I woke up to was an incredible self loathing. About 2 months into sobriety I had to forgive the whole "last drunk" and everyone involved to move past.

During my first month, I saw a therapist twice who mentioned I might have some codependent issues. I found a thread here on the boards dealing with that, and I spent the next couple of days going back and reading old posts, and crying my eyes out. So much of my life I believed in things that just weren't healthy, for me or the people around me. I can't tell you what a relief it was.

So basically, I may not be of help here. You see, I almost immediately found some of the issues that were making me such a wreck that alcohol was allowed such importance. Almost immediately, alcohol was banished and I started working in earnest towards unraveling the mystery of making myself peaceful, content, spiritually aware, in control. and able to care for myself.

I neither need alcohol today to help me feel differently, nor do I trust alcohol not to destroy what progress I have made.

The long time sober people that we hear from every day on these boards helped me immensely. I did have to put my rebellious "I can do it myself" attitude in time out for a bit, and really TRY what people were suggesting. Everyday I work on something for me, read a little in a recovery book or a self help book, look at something from a new angle, or ask questions of people who might guide me along.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:40 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Wonderful post Lisa and congratulations on 6 months! I also think your new name shows a more positive attitude!
Old 07-01-2009, 05:43 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Congrats Gypsy
Old 07-02-2009, 03:37 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well done...