Notices

Had my first dream about alcohol last night...

Old 06-30-2009, 09:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Had my first dream about alcohol last night...

Hi everyone,

After 2 months sober I had my first dream about alcohol (that I can remember, lol.)

It was kind of strange. I just remember feeling stressed out in the dream and being at a bar. Everyone was showing me the drink menu, and I remember thinking how good the drinks looked, and really desiring one. I remember not having one though.

Who knows, it might be because it's on my mind from the other day. I was really craving badly Sunday. I definitely felt more tempted in the dream then I did on Sunday. It just felt really strange to be around alcohol in the dream. I haven't had any around in my apt. I haven't been in a situation yet where it's being served.

I am going Upstate for a couple of days in Aug. and I know it will be around then. Like I said, I haven't been around it, and I have been doing okay. It will probably feel odd to be out at dinner and not have a drink. I haven't done that in forever.

The mindset one day at a time has really been working for me.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
jimbo

was it a wet one

er the beer i mean
Old 06-30-2009, 09:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

The mindset one day at a time has really been working for me.
Keep that near and dear!

The dreams for me have become less and less frequent for me and from what I hear for others as well. I had one early this month, it had been about 5 or 6 months since my last one.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have alcohol dreams quite frequently, had one last night. The difference this time is that they're almost all about NOT drinking or feeling bad if I decide to. They are never about wanting to drink or drinking and enjoying it. In past attempts at sobriety this was not the case. Something within me is quite different. I couldn't be happier about it.

Namaste
Old 06-30-2009, 10:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've had a dreams about alcohol loads of times when I quit. I actually woke up and thought I had drank it was scary beacause I know if I had drank I would want another one.

I dreamed that I bought a bottle of vimto and it had 9% alcohol content and I drank it in my dream, thank god I didnt.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Originally Posted by baldjim View Post
was it a wet one

er the beer i mean
You're terrible! ahaha. wtf?!? lolol
Old 06-30-2009, 02:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's interesting, as most dreams involve actually drinking and waking up with remorse. That you didn't drink is a good sign. It appears that your subconcious is opposed to drinking too. And it's good to hear you're taking it one day at a time.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have them all the time. It's usually drinking and then being disappointed b/c I'll have to start all over and lately, it's dreaming of drinking but deciding not to tell anyone and get my chip anyway. (I'm guessing b/c that's an important milestone to me.)

But it's nice to wake up and realize it's just a dream.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Location: Here's me. but when drinking could be found in doorways!
Hi....

I have had afew drinking dreams.... woke up once and bounced my way down the landing hitting off the walls.... it was not nice.... eventually they stopped being about drinking and i started saying no to drinks offered in my dreams.... sometimes i had verbal arguements with "drinking pals" trying to get me to drink.... again these have faded...
Someone told me drinking dreams are a way of your body/mind healing itself... and that its a way fr your subconsious to get some stuff out that my awake head wont let me... ie when i was really struggling with did i want to stop drinking...

not sure thats makes sense but there good things as far as i am concerned.... even if i do drink in dreams and wake up with regret its just another way of my mind reminding me of the bad times i left behind...

It might also be ways of your mind preparing you for when you are away and the situations you may be faced with... hope it works out for you.... dont worry thought they will subside

be well
louis
Old 06-30-2009, 02:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I like to keep track of my dreams I've had drinking ones a couple of times... so I acknowledged the possibility that a part of me may still want to drink - that's fine, I just accepted it and let it go.

Good to hear that "one day at a time" is working for you =) Hugs!
Old 07-01-2009, 12:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

And by the way, congratulations on 60 days.....
Old 07-01-2009, 07:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have them from time to time. Different situations, same scenario: drink -> remorse. I guess it's normal.

OB
Old 07-01-2009, 08:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I hate using dreams. Mine are always more chaotic and stressful than actually getting high.
I had my first one last night too on this attempt at stayin clean. It was pretty intense. I had my drugs but other things were goin on and I couldnt get anywhere to smoke it. And I didnt have a pipe. I was holding it in my mouth like I do sometimes and I woke up in a panic and spitting as I woke up. Like I was spittin it out of my mouth. I was all heart racing and anxious feeling. I hate the ones that really affect me physically when I wake up.
Thank goodness it was just a dream. I never actually use whne I dream either and if I do something goes wrong. Mine are almost comical really.

Just remember they are only dreams.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've have them a couple of times a month. I end up in really scary situations, they are terrifying! I've woken up in tears several times. It is such a relief to realize it was just a dream.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have them every couple of weeks and when I first awake not sure whether its a dream or real, I even kinda felt hungover once till I realised was only a dream
Old 07-02-2009, 03:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Dream or no dream ...you are sounding really strong
Old 07-02-2009, 05:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi, I don't dream about alcohol (at least yet) but I still do wake up every morning with a panicky feeling of "What did I do last night?" Then I start remembering... I did not drink. Phew. Maybe this will pass with time.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:49 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MycoolFitz View Post
I have alcohol dreams quite frequently, had one last night. The difference this time is that they're almost all about NOT drinking or feeling bad if I decide to. They are never about wanting to drink or drinking and enjoying it. In past attempts at sobriety this was not the case. Something within me is quite different. I couldn't be happier about it.

Namaste

I'm really happy for you, too. You sound peaceful.