SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Goodbye booze! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/179472-goodbye-booze.html)

sable1 06-29-2009 07:46 PM

Goodbye booze!

Ok, this is it. I'm seriously giving up drinking now. I have talked before on here about taking a long break from alcohol but those "long" periods have not lasted very long.
This time it's different. I don't want to take a break from drinking, I need to stop alltogether. I don't want to go into detail but I have started to really experience som physical health problems because of my drinking. I have for the past year or so and lately it has gotten worse than ever and really started to scare me, especially since I'm only 22 and it seems strange to have these problems so early on. But then again, not so strange when I think about the crazy amounts I have been drinking since the age of 16.
I really want to stay sober this time, because otherwise things are only gonna get worse.
I have finally realised that. Wish me luck

Dee74 06-29-2009 08:04 PM

I wish you luck Sable :)

Welcome to SR again - theres a lot of support here :)

D

CarolD 06-29-2009 08:11 PM

Goodbye booze....Hello a better sober future....:yup:

So....do you have a plan in mind to make this happen?

Good to see you back here
:wavey:

igottobesober 06-29-2009 08:15 PM

I wish you luck, I wish I would have stopped when I was your age. I am lucky I made it through my 20's. I started drinking when I was 12. I knew I had a problem in my 20's but didnt have the courage to admit it and give it up. I just recently admitted my problem. Reaching out for help is a huge step toward being sober. Give it up while you are young you wont be sorry.

lauraandersen4 06-29-2009 08:16 PM

Congratulations on this decision and best of luck on your journey :) I trust you won't let yourself down ;)

MycoolFitz 06-29-2009 08:28 PM

Well if you follow through, which I hope you will, you'll be a whole Hell of a lot smarter than me. I started drinking at about 14 and here I am 62 years old and 84 daze sober. A lot of booze under the bridge. Took me a long time to figure out this serenity prayer:

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author Unknown

Namaste

Antone 06-29-2009 08:50 PM

You don't need luck, just solid, one day at a time intention.

Taking5 06-29-2009 10:34 PM

You got a unique take on the serenity prayer, one centered on people only. The prayer is about things (which can include people):

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

nogard 06-29-2009 10:51 PM

Welcome back to SR :)

bjork 06-30-2009 12:18 AM

Welcome Sable! I really wish I would've quit drinking when I was your age. I'm 37 now. You are so lucky to realize this now. You have a whole wonderful future ahead of you!!!

Tazman53 06-30-2009 02:43 AM

Glad to hear you are quitting sable, so what is the plan to stay stopped?

I stopped hundreds of times, the only plan I had was "Don't drink." I always wound up drinking again.

baldjim 06-30-2009 02:56 AM

when i first joined this forum i spent ages just reading the posts of people stopping drinking

the posts saying you will have a better life with no drinking in it ,i'm only at 28 days four weeks without a drink and i'm just starting to feel better

hang in there :c032::c032:its really worth it

Mattcake 06-30-2009 03:07 AM

Welcome back Sable, good decision :) I don't mean to nitpick, but you said

"I need to stop drinking altogether "
. In my experience, it's easier to make changes when you *want* to make them, not necessarily out of a sense of obligation or because you're being forced to do so. Just a thought :) Keep reaching out!

Hevyn 06-30-2009 03:29 AM

Wonderful news, Sable. Oh, how I wish I'd done what you're doing at 22. At that age I was only starting out on my road to hell, with so much pain and tragedy yet to come. You can avoid all that and have the life you were meant to. Keep talking to us.

least 06-30-2009 04:00 AM

Congrats on your decision to live sober! Sober living is a better life and a healthier one indeed.

bdiddy5522 06-30-2009 06:31 AM

Hey Sable,

We can do this together. I am on my 2nd day now without a drink. So I know the mental and physical battles you are waging right now. Let me know if I can help in any way.

C23 06-30-2009 06:46 AM

I wish you all the best and hope you continue to post and read here on SR. We all help eachother here and the support is awesome.

Chris

flutter 06-30-2009 06:50 AM

Welcome! Breaking up with alcohol *for good* was the best thing I have done yet :)

Wolfchild 06-30-2009 07:15 AM

Welcome back. i hope that you begin to discover the
difference between recovery and abstinence soon.

misstep 06-30-2009 02:32 PM

Good to have you here sable! How do you plan on doing things differently this time? (I hope that didn't sound sarcastic, I'm truly curious!):c032: