Notices

So far doing OK

Old 06-29-2009, 02:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So far doing OK

So today is my first day of recovery. Thank you to everyone that has posted on my previous thread today. I am determined to stop this time. The hard part is I am nervous that I am going to stop by the local liquor store when I leave work this afternoon. (Like I normally do after work). But I need to have the courage to just keep on driving! I am feeling pretty good. I have been pounding water and had some vitamins today. I was starting to get some shakes after lunch, but a Xanax took that away. I am hoping that tomorrow is a better day. One day at a time, right?
Old 06-29-2009, 03:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hang in there and be sure to post tonight if you can't sleep. We have recovering people on 6 continents - plus those of us that are day sleepers - so there is usually someone here.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

One day at a time, indeed! That's the way I take my recovery since that's the way I get my life, one day at a time. Have you thought about AA or another program of recovery? AA has been a valuable help to many people and it may be that to you also. Stick around SR no matter what, as dgilliz said, we are many and from many lands so someone is always awake here. Welcome!:ghug3
Old 06-29-2009, 03:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wish you well on your Day One bdiddy!
If I can do this, anyone can

Welcome to SR!
D
Old 06-29-2009, 04:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I wish you good luck. Just keep driving by that liquor store. Or take a different route! You'll be thankful in the morning. Keep posting. I made it through Day 2. (At this point in the evening I'm out of the danger zone... Happy Hour is my dangerous time of day!)
Old 06-29-2009, 06:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Not to be a downer on all the happy/posititive talk, and don't get me wrong, I think it is great that you are working this out. But Xanax? Unless this was prescribed for you by a Doctor because he knew you were planning on quitting alcohol for withdrawal you should not be taking it. Obviously, you need to see a Doctor about withdrawal symptoms, as alcohol is one of the most dangerous drugs to withdraw from. The most dangerous drug to withdraw from? Benzo's (Xanax). You aren't really getting sober if you are just replacing one drug with another and you don't want to go through all this now just to have to through it again later for Xan. I know there are people in the program that take it, and I am not one of those people that think it is bad in all cases. But you must tell your Doctor the extent of your problem and then see if he still thinks it is a good idea to prescribe it to you. I am working under the assumption that you have a prescription. Regardless, congrats on the decision and I know baby-steps right now are good but consulting your Doc and not self-medicating withdrawal are essential. Good luck and let us know how you did. All you have is today.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you!

Take a different route home today!
Old 06-29-2009, 06:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Keep on driving!! Even if you didnt, check in ok? Glad your day was going well!
Old 06-29-2009, 07:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am starting over today too. I am through day one, getting ready to go to bed and wake up feeling good, and thanking God for another day.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I did keep driving today everyone. We went over to some friends house for a grill out. It was all friends from our couples bible study so no alcohol was served! It was fun to go with a clear head. I still feel pretty good and am hoping tomorrow wil be an even better day. Thank you all for your encouraging words!
Old 06-29-2009, 07:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
TC MI

hey,,, keep it up!!! day one is a bit@@.. if u can see a doctor..