Notices

New start--AGAIN

Old 06-29-2009, 11:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New start--AGAIN

Hello to all. I REALLY need this contact with others that know what I am going through. The forums have helped already. I will share more about myself later, short version--This is my last chance to make the quitting final! Putting down the bottle has never been the problem, 2 weeks a month six monts even over a year! Staying quit is the hurrdle I cant seem to get over- I'm getting too old for this! Drinking is killing me and destroying everything I & everyone I love. Please Help!! Thanks, I know you will. Any advice will be gladley recieved!!:praying
Old 06-29-2009, 11:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Luckedog! I would examine what you've tried and why it hasn't helped you. Glad you haven't given up. Never give up because you don't know if this will be the last time you have to do it.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

Welcome!

I'm glad you found us.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Welcome!

Obviously what you've tried hasn't worked.. what are you going to try now that you haven't?

Glad you're here!!
Old 06-29-2009, 12:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thx Flutter! it's a fair question I'd no doubt ask, w/o any intention of being harsh or offensive.........whaddyathink luckedog?
Old 06-29-2009, 01:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Welcome.

What are you going to do differently this time to ensure quitting?

All too often if nothing changes, nothing changes.

Let me suggest AA meetings, the people there are GREAT. If you hate it, well... good... just keep going until you succeed in your quest to quit drinking. Hopefully you hate drinking worse than you hate AA.

I love AA myself... but it took awhile.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sorry I didnt give more information- It's a process-. The clossest A.A. to where I live is 35 miles away. I attended meetings there for about 6 mos. then partley because of gas prices and my overconfidence I dropped out. More to come later...
Old 06-29-2009, 02:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm still trying to sort and process some of what has failed and why??
Thanks for friendly welcome. Will continue to work on getting information out. It is difficult for me, Thanks for your patience---
Old 06-29-2009, 02:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by luckedog View Post
Putting down the bottle has never been the problem, 2 weeks a month six monts even over a year! Staying quit is the hurrdle I cant seem to get over
"Why does he behave like this? If hundreds of experiences have shown him that one drink means another debacle with all its attendant suffering and humiliation, why is it he takes that one drink? Why can't he stay on the water wagon? What has become of the common sense and will power that he still sometimes displays with respect to other matters?"
AA Big Book, Ch.2, 1st ed.

You describe the insanity of the first drink. That obsession even when being physically distant from alcohol for a length of time. When the result is always the same, why do we pick up that drink? Why can't we stay stopped?

If you are anything like me, luckedog, the answer is baffling. I don't know what it is. I required a spiritual solution to overcome that obsession. You may require that as well.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Welcome to the SR community.
i hope that you keep coming back.

Attending A.A. meetings provides
many of us with the support and help
we need to stay sober one day at a time.

It is a widely proven fact that those who keep
coming to our meetings regularly stay sober.

Personaly, i can't justify any excuse for my butt not to be
sitting in a meeting and helping someone else to stay sober.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
where the light is

Originally Posted by luckedog View Post
I'm still trying to sort and process some of what has failed and why??
Thanks for friendly welcome. Will continue to work on getting information out. It is difficult for me, Thanks for your patience---
I have been sober for 18 months. Prior to that:

-78 days sober, back to binge drinking
-80 days sober, back to binge drinking
-13 months of moderate drinking, back to binge drinking

Looking back, I failed in two ways:

1. I never gave up on that lurking notion that I could somehow control & enjoy alcohol.
2. I thought I could quit without help.

If you are familiar with the 12 steps, I couldn't have even made it past step 1:

We admitted we were powerless over alcohol - that our lives had become unmanageable.
That last bender, as horrendous as it was, was a godsend. I was finally able to, in my heart, accept that I am an alcoholic & that I needed help. I had finally suffered enough.

BB quote from the 1st edition of the BB
Old 06-29-2009, 03:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

WOW-alot of serious insight and info to think about. Thanks-I need it!
Gravity-- Those two points hit me right between the eyes! You are right I have never really gotten past step one. In my work I manage everything- horses, cattle, farm equipment. lumber ect. ect.. but this. this is different IT managed me. I AM powerless! UNMANAGABLE
Old 06-29-2009, 04:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi luckedog

Welcome to SR. I'm not in AA but I totally agree with the posts here - staying sober needs more than just not drinking.

I did a lot of work in not going back to drinking, way before I felt like going back to drinking if you get me. I was done - I knew if I drank again I'd die that way.

I changed my routines, cut out some drinking buddies and started a lot more work helping other people - which led me to reawaken my spiritual side too.

I got out and did things when I could, and I basically did everything I could to change my life into a non drinking one, and myself into a better man.

All this worked for me - good luck with finding what works for you
D
Old 06-29-2009, 05:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Focus

Luckedog,

I'm sure this is hard for you... it is so wise of you to realize that there is a better way to be, that it would be great to get past this setback. That is probably a start, right?

I'm finding an increase in my desire to drink every subsequent day...but I'm only on day 3. Each day, in the evening, I've been tempted to drink wine.. I think about it in school. Even tonight, it is all I am thinking about.

Most people on here seem to have gone through something similar to what you or I have been going through. I think this is a great place for you... and me to be Good luck to you.

Most here seem to really understand
Old 06-29-2009, 05:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome! I hope you continue on your way in recovery.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
TC MI

luckegog, Yes.... keep coming back. we are all in this place .. We need to connect and SR is a great place to do that. This is not your last chance.. Yes I have quit drinking over and over and over..staying quit is a hard thing...YES IT IS ... if it was so easy we would not need SR.. you are here for a reason.. you say......Killing me and every one i love...well alcohol will kill You....and u will lose some dear Friends along the way.. Take care .. JAY
Old 06-29-2009, 07:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I would like to say A heart felt thank you to all of you who responded to my post today it has really helped me get through another day sober! I feel more confident I'm going to make it!! Thank you for caring and reaching out.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to see you here with us....Welcome!
Old 06-29-2009, 11:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR
Old 06-30-2009, 08:56 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flutter View Post
Welcome!

Obviously what you've tried hasn't worked.. what are you going to try now that you haven't?

Glad you're here!!
Thanks flutter you are correct I've been trying to go it alone. Now that I have found this site I believe it will give me the support I need to make the long haul. This is my day 11 sober.
Since I began reading the forums and information on here I have amuch more positive mind set, a greater determination to continue sober, and the startling relization -I'm not ALONE!!
"If you do what you've always done then you'll get what you've always got!"
Thats why I'm following the advice i'm getting here-- Staying in contact- changing my routines- deepning my spiritual relationship- REALLY taking the 12 steps, not just pretending- and many other things I am learning here.
Thanks to all of you for helping me