Notices

well ok, you were all right I was wrong...

Old 06-29-2009, 09:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

well ok, you were all right I was wrong...

Ive been coming on here for years asking what was wrong with me why can I go months without drinking then just bam I go on a bender for weeks on end. I tried blaming it on stess and how I do not handle it well or anything else I could think of other than that maybe Im an Alcoholic. A binge drinker as they call them, one of the worst, cause they think they are fine till the binge hits. I can drink just fine for months, just an beer with dinner or a couple out at a bar but it continues to get worse, and after a month or so the couple becomes a case or even more then something stressful comes along and the next thing I know Im on a full out 2 week long bender. over and over again this happens and my wife has had it, Im also tired of not being there for my little boy, being passed out all the time what a parent... Anyway the problem is something Ive never been thru before. Ive always gotten thru it by taking xanax for a couple days and sleeping my way thru it but I dont think thats going to work this time. I was trying to stop today nothing till noon but then my hands started shaking and I started sweating, Ive never had that happen before and it scared me, I went got a six pack, had a couple beers and now I feel much better but this process has to end. Where do I go now and how to get over and done with this...

thanks again, so long...
Old 06-29-2009, 09:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You sound alot like everyone here. Stick around, its great to have you! :ghug3
Old 06-29-2009, 09:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Try a recovery program, go in and ask someone for help, you will get it. There are many options that involve other people helping you face to face which is what some of us need. I hope you can get help before it is too late.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

See your doctor, be honest with him.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I live in a small town I dont think there are any recovery programs, could go to the hospital i suppose, I know theres a rehab vacility like an hour from here... well let me change that, they is AA in the town but Im not sure AA is going to help me with the withdrawls I will start AA as soon as I get thru this part first...
Old 06-29-2009, 09:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi searching, being a binger myself I know how it can play mind-games with you. I would recommend seeing your Doctor too, especially since you are getting shakes. I would have thought even the smallest towns have some AA?
Old 06-29-2009, 09:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

It seems as if you have a physical dependance upon chemicals. i encourage you to go to the hospital if you are incapable of going through a day without using because of what it does to your body. If you want to continue to use chemicals in order to avoid the pain of withdrawl, i wish you the best of luck.

Thank you for considering that you could have a choice today.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

could try the family doc, for some reason I never thougth about that... duh
Old 06-29-2009, 09:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

That sounds like a good choice, Searching.

Let us know how you make out at the dr.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

maybe I will call my doc and see if she can get me in sometime soon, very soon...
Old 06-29-2009, 09:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Searching I can share with you my path. I had no idea what to do so I:

1. Called a drug & alcohol hotline, they set me up with a doctors appointment.
2. I say the doctor and was totally honest with him, he told me I needed to be medically detoxed.
3. I went to detox, and they told me if I wnated a chance to stay sober to go to 90+ aa meetings in 90 days and get a sponsor.
4. I got out of detox and I went to 90+ AA meetings in 90 days and got a sponsor.
5. My sponsor and others with long term sobriety told me if I wanted a good chance at long term happy sobriety to take the steps with my sponsor.
6. I took the steps with my sponsor and he told me to pass on to othrs what had been freely given to me.
7. Today I am blessed to be sober and able to pass the path I took on to you.

Searching if your town is large enough to have a phone book I bet at a minimum you have AA meetings in your area, look up the hotline number and call them AFTER you have set up an appointment with your doctor.

You are not alone my friend, I and many others here have walked in your shoes and recovered.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

you can do this!

the trick is obviously "staying stopped".

a rehab center can help you get stopped....or your own willpower can even do it....

but once you are stopped you will most likely need to make changes in your life

AA, or a spiritual group (church, yoga, etc), and individual counseling can help among others.

peace to you
Old 06-29-2009, 09:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks all, I really was feeling very alone on this, my wife is fed up with me and has no encouragment for me anymore and I dont blame her one bit. Hearing your kind words and advice helps more than you can ever know...
Old 06-29-2009, 09:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
where the light is

I'm also a father with young kids.

For an alcoholic the only path is sobriety.

I really see my family as an incredible gift & I have to honor this gift by being responsible & loving, to always be there for them.

If you are anything like me, once you get your head on straight you will look back at your drinking days and wonder "what the hell was I thinking?"

Do what it takes. It is so worth it.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Do see your doctor. They can help you safely detox and once you are over the withdrawals you can make the changes necessary to stay sober for life, one day at a time. Be safe!
Old 06-29-2009, 10:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Searching, I hope you are able to meet with your doctor soon. Your story sounds an awful like mine, and it has reminded me why it is important that I do everything I can to stay sober. Thank you!
Old 06-29-2009, 10:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Just called my doctor and she can get me in tomorrow morning at 10:30 am... now just have to survive today....
Old 06-29-2009, 10:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Hey Searching!! Congrats on taking the first steps for a better life. You can see how long I've been around here, and I always had an argument about how I "was different", and we are all different to a degree, but as they say in the rooms, "the similarities outweigh the differences".

I am clean and sober today for about a month now, with one slip, that I didn't allow to turn into a bender. It has mostly been through the help I've received here at SR. Sounds like you probably need a bit of medical attention first, but then give AA a shot and stick and stay around here. By posting your successes and even your failures you can help us all. Take care.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Really glad to hear you have an appointment tomorrow morning. Let us know how you make out. It will be fine, but put one foot in front of the other and I would think detox with medical help is the first step.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:36 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

well went to the doctor, she suggested what I thought she would, go to the hospital, get into therapy (which I already am) maybe try AA... really thinking about taking her advice and the hospital, im not sure i can stop on my own this time, wife has kicked me out, Im staying at a hotel room... very depressed right now....