Notices

The deaths of this past week....

Old 06-28-2009, 08:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

The deaths of this past week....

I don't know about you, but I have been really affected by the deaths that have happened this week. Now before you laugh and poke fun, let me explain and you will see my point. We all grew up with Farrah Fawcett, Michael Jackson, and Ed McMahon. No matter if we believed certain rumors or not, these individuals were very known throughout the world. I was shocked to hear about MJ's death and was kind of sad as my first concert was his. Then today I found out the Billy Mays died. For those of you who have never watched an episode of "Pitchmen," he was a very down to earth, loving father who has a little girl my daughter's age. He was giving in his community and looked like a great friend, husband, and father on the show. I actually had a few tears in my eyes when I found out he had passed. But I do thank him for a very valuable lesson he passed on to me with his death. "LIFE IS TOO SHORT!!!!" "IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW MUCH MONEY YOU HAVE, YOU COULD BE GONE AT ANY TIME" and "LIVE EVERYDAY LIKE IT'S YOUR LAST." With these 3 lessons in mind, how the heck would I ever want to pick up another drink? Why would I ever think about putting that poison into my body again? We all know that stuff isn't good for us or anyone, so why risk hurting ourselves, or others, by using. I just really think if you reflect on these individuals lives, and compare them to yours, you will see that all things happen for a reason. I think Farrah Fawcett's passing should give us all strength and show us the will to live is strong. For MJ and Billy Mays, these people were well know and very wealthy and they were gone by the age of 50. I don't know about you, but I about to turn 30 and I want to be on this earth with my friends and family a hell of a lot longer than another 20 years. But, if I were to go tomorrow, I would also want to know that I was living the best life I could, not drowning myself at the bottom of a bottle. Anyway, thanks for reading my thoughts.

Chris
Old 06-29-2009, 03:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I agree, Chris, I spent far too many years anesthetized, thinking I was enhancing my life. For awhile after I got sober I felt so much remorse for my past that I almost missed the golden present and future I have to look forward to.

(By the way, I read Billy M. had hit his head when on a plane trip. It reminded me of Natasha Richardson's [Liam Neeson's wife] skiing accident-wonder if it could've been a head injury?)
Old 06-29-2009, 05:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I understand, Chris, and very well said, Joanie. Thanks for sharing. Jomey
Old 06-29-2009, 05:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Extremely well said Chris. I recently had a cancer scare and it made me want to do something totally out of character for me. I usually won't consider a trip/vacation without husband, but I was like I am 42 years old and can do this myself. I am about to take my 6 year old back to N.Y. by car. It will be a 4 day road trip to get there and needless to say, 4 days on the return. I am the type of woman that has always handed the wheel to my husband as we neared big cities. I won't have that option. I'm doing it myself and I did for the reason that life is too short and WHY can't I do this?
Old 06-29-2009, 10:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I applaud you, Horselover. You sound a lot like me.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I bow to you HL, as I'm too terrified of highway driving to even think of such a trip!
Old 06-29-2009, 11:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was too Least, but I'll tell you it takes something like the fear of dying to put things in perspective for this stubborn woman. I will hopefully come back with absolutely no fear of driving or at least that is the hope. LOL!
Old 06-29-2009, 01:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree with you too Chris. Thanks for posting this. May they RIP.