Notices

I'm pissed!

Old 06-29-2009, 04:16 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tyler View Post
I'm not really sure where all of the anger toward's 1 day is coming from.
For the record, just in case anybody misunderstood - I'm not angry with 1_day. I understand that there is no peace to be found in resentment. I also understand that saying so to someone who is upset is akin to telling a depressed person to "cheer up already."

And quoting the BB at someone, well that's bound to be touchy outside the 12-step forum.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:58 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Good stuff guys. The diversity of opinions, discussion with the purpose of helping others and true show of support makes this forum great.

Smynthia is in a tough place in her recovery; she is a heck of a lot more civil than I was!

Please keep fighting for your recovery each day and let us know how you are doing!

Don't drink each day and you will have a great chance at working the rest of the stuff out over time.

Dave
Old 06-29-2009, 04:58 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Beating this demon for GOOD

My apologies if I offended anyone

my comments were nasty, and I apologize, I went overboard and I'm sorry if I did and hurt any feelings. I realize it was attacking and it wasn't called for or necessary. I am truly sorry for acting out in that manner. (ducks)....I didn't mean to seemingly make fun or be sarcastic against anyone's chosen method or program and I know that I did and feel appropriately ashamed of that. Please accept my apology, that particular post just got me really riled, although that still wasn't a good excuse to "attack" anyone.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:02 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

It takes a big person to say that - No worries!!
Old 06-29-2009, 05:03 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Wow. What a way to work myself onto the boards!

First off, I just wanted to thank EVERYONE for their feedback. The goal of everyone here is the same and I know everything is posted and expressed with the thought of helping everyone achieve sanity without alcohol.

My OP was meant to vent my emotions about a subject that was new to me. Yes, I suppose I was looking for a little validation as well, ( I am human) but my intention was to express an aspect of my recovery with others. In that endeavor, hopefully my honesty resonates with others and help them realize they are not alone, or if they totally disagree, then that can discourse can help solidify their own point of view and personal philosophy in their recovery.

KeithJ, the good of this was yes, it did shine a light on the real issue, which was telling my daughter about my sobriety, which I did last night.

I am finding my way in recovery. Now, let's all give each other a big hug, and move on to another post we can all light on fire!
Old 06-29-2009, 05:35 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Closed meetings

The same year I sobered up my eleven year old daughter was diagnosed with Juvenile Diabetes. I had someone she could stay with when I went to the evening meetings that felt comfortable watching her due to her still out of control Blood Sugars. When that person wasn't available I would wait until the next night to go....but once in a while when there was an open meeting & she needed my supervision & I needed a meeting, I did take her.

I did discuss this in a group consious meeting & it was an okay since they knew I had explained the rules to her of who you see here, what you hear here, stays here when you leave the meeting.

Even though I took my daughter and she was always quiet and stayed seated, I was the one that felt uncomfortable for needing to bring her when others really guarded their sobriety. :sorry

I, myself, was to the point that I didn't care who knew I was going to AA. I was a very typical looking alcoholic with a beet red face...I drank at home so my daughter saw me drunk, hungover, sober, & happy with the help of my counselors for my depression & alcoholism.

She loved & was proud of me when she finally could trust that I was going to stay sober. We were very close & shared our feelings about our health problems as if they were one in the same...me with my alcoholism & she with her diabetes.

She is 32 years old, married, & has a 7 year old son. She has not drank or used drugs ever. Her brother that is eight years older came home from the Navy when his four year tour of duty was up. He drank very heavy and tried to live like a teenager again but soon was on his way to his first job & place to live. His problems escalated and now he is an Quadriplegic living in an adult assisted living facility. He is 40 years old now.

I have three other children. One son is drinking a lot & has type II diabetes & he is 50 so needs to get his act together again...he lives in Alaska. My other daughter is a lawyer and does social drinking...doesn't handle much alcohol very well so is careful. My other son drinks now & then so don't know where he is at with it. The boys have all been hard workers.

I need to go start supper...& my grandson is on his way over to help grandpa with something.

orchards
Old 06-29-2009, 06:19 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Originally Posted by Newtosoberlivin View Post
my comments were nasty, and I apologize, I went overboard and I'm sorry if I did and hurt any feelings. I realize it was attacking and it wasn't called for or necessary. I am truly sorry for acting out in that manner. (ducks)....I didn't mean to seemingly make fun or be sarcastic against anyone's chosen method or program and I know that I did and feel appropriately ashamed of that. Please accept my apology, that particular post just got me really riled, although that still wasn't a good excuse to "attack" anyone.
Gotta say, I totally know where you are coming from and you're doing very well to (sorry to use an AA term but...) make amends. I sure wish I had come around as quickly as you. When I first got here I would argue with anyone, not just here, but f2f as well. I'm finally starting to feel some of that "serenty" they talk about in the meetings. It's not from going to meetings, as a said before, I don't consider myself to be a member of any particular "recovery group", with the exception of SR. I guess I've just finally reached the point in my life that I don't want to fight anymore. I don't care if I'm right and it feels pretty good.

As your screen name says, I'm assuming you are "new to sober living"!! It's a challenging way for us to live. It's easy to react emotionally as most of us, early on at least, are kinda like an open sore, doesn't take much to set us off. I had an incident with my ex over Father's day weekend, that the end result was hurt feelings for her and her mother. It was not my intention, but I reacted emotionally, spoke without thinking, and the next day when I called back after kicking the topic around here on the boards it was too late, the damage had been done. I ended up apologizing to both of them and I think we are moving on.

I personally get something from every single person on these boards. We are all in this together and that is a beautiful thing!!

Originally Posted by smynthia View Post
Wow. What a way to work myself onto the boards!

First off, I just wanted to thank EVERYONE for their feedback. The goal of everyone here is the same and I know everything is posted and expressed with the thought of helping everyone achieve sanity without alcohol.

My OP was meant to vent my emotions about a subject that was new to me. Yes, I suppose I was looking for a little validation as well, ( I am human) but my intention was to express an aspect of my recovery with others. In that endeavor, hopefully my honesty resonates with others and help them realize they are not alone, or if they totally disagree, then that can discourse can help solidify their own point of view and personal philosophy in their recovery.

KeithJ, the good of this was yes, it did shine a light on the real issue, which was telling my daughter about my sobriety, which I did last night.

I am finding my way in recovery. Now, let's all give each other a big hug, and move on to another post we can all light on fire!
Congrats on telling your daughter. I've always considered myself to be agnostic, but so many things happen that seem wrong, but in the end turn out right that maybe there is a "higher power" watching over us. You just took a negative situation and turned it into a positive one by opening up to your daughter and I for one think that is couragous and wonderful. Well done!!!!