Notices

Maybe my last post.... a little discouraged

Old 06-28-2009, 06:38 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Haven't met you yet, but I hope you stick around!
Old 06-28-2009, 06:56 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I definitely have appreciated your posts and your presence on the boards. Newcomers always inspire me to stay focused on my journey of recovery. I hope you understand that we are all here to support each other and to help ourselves, and if some of the words have upset you, try to look past those words and hang on to what you love about us.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:20 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I am not familiar with your previous posts, but I know for sure this forum is all about support.

I don't post here as much as I used to but this site was part of my recovery - I have close to six years sobriety.

I loved smynthia's post above; very insightful! The diversity of opinions does make us stronger because it indicates a mindset that we are open and willing to listen.

I am actually surprised at the level of civility that is maintained here. It just illustrates that even though we are going through a tough time, there are people here who have "been there" and know what its like to wake up hung over and just can't quit drinking. We also have people here that know how beautiful life can be without alcohol! The decisions we make (guy from Europe) surprisingly become much clearer and easier when we attain sobriety.

For me, sometimes alcoholics need to be challenged in a supportive way! We are way too smart and are masters at rationalizing our drinking and seeking out enabling conditions.

I guess what I am trying to say (in a long-winded way) Laura is decide what is best for you and I can tell you from first hand experience that this is a very supportive and loving place.

Dave
Old 06-28-2009, 08:21 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Wow, I am overwhelmed with everyone's support. I can't thank you enough.

That is sooooo helpful to look at the "bottom" in that way. I have hit it, that's for sure, even though nothing *really* bad has happened in my life, and very few people even know I have a drinking problem (I told a couple of really close friends). I will stick around on SR. I would be foolish not to with so many great people.

I noticed that even when I drank in moderation this past week, there was something a little wrong about it.... I wanted more, but stopped because I was with others. It wasn't that I was in total control of my drinking, but I was pretending I was. So that's the honest truth.

I am staring a journal today, have an alcohol counseling appointment lined up, may even call a woman I met at an AA meeting who gave me her phone number, and will be reading threads on here.

Thank you so much, everyone, for your concern and interest in me.

Laura
Old 06-28-2009, 08:53 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by hopeful999 View Post
Well, I am a little discouraged on here. I don't feel people have related to my story. I'm not a rock bottom alcoholic. I was never arrested for DUI. I did not end up in the hospital with a high blood alcohol level. I have not gone to rehab. I have no withdrawal symptoms when I stop drinking. I still know the joy of sobriety ... I have a job, kids and a life and I live it seemingly normally.
I can relate to a lot of what you are saying, except for the kid thing.

Anyways, I'm a little sensitive and have felt like people have not liked my posts, have not found my posts helpful, have said I was too upbeat, etc. I am a high on life person most of the time. That was coming through in my posts. But I have felt like I had nothing of value to contribute to anyone here, which is discouraging. Every story is "worse" than mine, so what is there to discuss?
I’m sensitive, too.

EVERYONE has something to contribute here. I haven't been close to half the hell others have experienced, but I am going through my hell. It is very real and is significantly affecting my life.

Your struggles and experiences do matter...for people here and, more importantly, for you.

I had this conversation before with my therapist…about how I really haven’t had a bad life. She kindly explained to me that, for example, say a three year old kid has a stuffed bear that he/she loves. Someone comes by and takes that toy away from the kid. That stuffed bear is that child’s world. It matters greatly to that kid...and to have it taken away is devastating.

I suppose what I’m trying to say is that everyone’s experience is relative and important. Do not discount your experiences. Everyone who stumbles onto this site is in dire need of help.

I am seeking individual counseling for myself, that is what I need, and I wish you all the best ... Bon Vent.

Laura

I’m in therapy, too. It is very important to my recovery, and I’m glad to read that you are getting help. I do hope you consider staying at SR. You are always welcome here.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:57 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

By helping each other we help ourselves. Keep posting, a newcomer may really need to hear your words.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:10 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hey Laura, I just caught this thread. I don't think I've read/responded to any of your others threads, but I'm busier than a 3-legged cat on exlax these days!

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know I too was one of those who never had a DUI, never ended up in the hospital due to a high BAC, didn't go through withdrawals, etc etc.

When I first got sober, I was also extremely thin-skinned, or sensitive, if you wish.

I don't know what has been said in your other threads, but I do want to encourage you to stick with recovery, and please keep posting here, okay?

:ghug :ghug
Old 06-28-2009, 09:23 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Heathen

Be well!