Notices

I am New Here / Fingertip Numbness

Old 06-26-2009, 08:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am New Here / Fingertip Numbness

I am new here, but not new to trying to quit. I have been reading a lot about detoxing and hopefully can make it through (1/5 of Vodka a night lately). I am getting a lot of the symtoms that I read about. But I also have numbness feeling in my fingertips? Anyone else get this?
Old 06-26-2009, 08:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Focus

Originally Posted by Provider View Post
I am new here, but not new to trying to quit. I have been reading a lot about detoxing and hopefully can make it through (1/5 of Vodka a night lately). I am getting a lot of the symtoms that I read about. But I also have numbness feeling in my fingertips? Anyone else get this?
I have heard this happening to others. I'd get an MD to check you out. I have the same, but it's from reaching into the -80 freezer doing cancer research before going back to school. If yours is alcohol related, you should really be evaluated. Good luck and stay healthy.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Is it possible for you to enter a medical detox in a hospital or clinic? They will monitor you, medicate you to prevent seizures and DT's, and give you fluids and vitamins. If you don't have insurance, the hospital may offer charity care. If you go to the ER, they have to treat you, regardless.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi Provider.....you have already got good advice.
I too think it's always wise to check with your doctor
concerning how to be safe wile de toxing.

Glad to see you here....
Old 06-26-2009, 09:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi provider.

I agree with the others here - any numbness should be checked out by a professional, and any detox is best done with a talk with yr Dr beforehand.

hope to see you around some more!
D
Old 06-26-2009, 10:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the advice. The communication is greatly appreciated.

PS- This no sleeping thing really sucks.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Welcome to the SR community
i hope that you keep coming back.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

The sleeping thing really does, I remember.
It settled down for me after a few nights, a week mebbe...since then I've never had much trouble sleeping at all

D
Old 06-27-2009, 05:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well, the feeling in my fingertips is back. Starting a new day with a jog. Barley slept. Feel like a need to puke. This is not fun, but it is manageable
Old 06-27-2009, 07:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

You're right, it's NOT fun! I also was a vodka drinker 1/5th every 2 days but sometimes a bit more. Ouch!

Definitely see a doc if you feel like you need to, detoxing can be very dangerous. I was put on anti-seizure medication for a few days and tons of IV/vitamins at the hospital.

This is a great place, detoxing is really hellish, but the payoff is amazing.. I am so happy I did it, I can guarantee you will be too.. in time

Oh yeah, and the sleep will come.. and it will be some of the best quality sleep I bet you've had in a looong time!
Old 06-27-2009, 12:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It is nice to know I am not the only one who has gone through this. I am starting to come out of the fog. My appetite is returning and I stopped dry-heaving......actually feeling OK for a bit. It comes and goes. I just keep thinking of the crappy life I will lead if I dont do this.

Thanks for your post Flutter
Old 06-27-2009, 12:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

definitely write down anything that you have been experiencing i.e. numbness is fingers and whatever else and then see a doctor. That way you know exactly what to tell a doctor and don't forget.

Yea I had numbness in one of my hands like a month or two ago. More so after heavy drinking. Don't know if it was the drinking per se or carpal tunnel ( I use the computer alot). Seems to have subsided a bit after almost a month sober.

Oh I've found that just reading about detox and symptoms related to alcoholism just makes my anxiety go way up. Because you start thinking, wait maybe I have that too after abusing alcohol for so long. That stuff is dangerous.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have noticed that as well (that reading about it sometimes makes my anxiety worse) it is so strange. Thanks for your post. I feel like i need to do research and post, but when I do sometimes I feel worse than if I am out doing something with my mind occupied.