Notices

Should I still feel like this??

Old 06-30-2009, 07:03 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Finding the Light! 10/13/09

Originally Posted by lauraandersen4 View Post
As everyone seems to be saying... you already know that your life depends on stopping the usage of alcohol. I too would keep after your MD about the medication. From what I have heard from one alcoholic though, your experience was similar. Sadly for him, the terrible aches and all the vomitting still wasn't enough to make him stop which is something I will never understand. The point of the drug however is partly negative reinforcement and I guess if that is all that gets through to you...

I can't pretend to understand your level of physical addiction but I can offer you support if you want it

Godspeed.
Originally Posted by lauraandersen4 View Post
Oh and I'm still trying to understand how marriages end due to alcohol? Is there a slacking of responsibility? Is there trouble with the law? Is there running out of $ because so much is spent on alcohol? So many people say their alcohol use ended their marriage and I'm just trying to understand how that is the case. If it is really true that 50% of all (even non alcoholic marriages) end in divorce, maybe the marriage was the problem in the first place? I don't know... trying to understand.
Hiya! The phone musta rang or something came up and I read only this one post and responded before moving on I x'd out and didn't even seen these too posts...duh. Just wanted to say thanks for you input. I do see what you are saying in that respect and you are right. Problem here, no one knew..but me. I was doing all this drinking secretly. Hubby didn't know until I called and said I need to go to rehab.

The only thing people did know was about the accident, but that was written off as hubby #1's fault by all my kin...you know how that goes. Everyone is pretty shocked that I have shared with, a few said, ahhhh, now 'such and such' makes sense. Thing are adding up now. I know...that's what counts, and what you are saying has most for sure had it's effects and your comments are sincerely appreciated. I am sorry for what you had to go through...I am sorry for what I am going through now.

I'm on day 7, IIRC. and I am pushin on...next ciggies, and anxiety inbetween. Thanks for your support.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:37 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Dear face, Welcome to the wonderful world of alcohol withdrawal. As crappy as you felt, a lot of us have been much worse off. That's a nice big book you have there. Now call the AA number in the phone book, it's manned 24/7, and ask for directions to the closest meeting. Bring you book with you. Let everyone know you're new and need help.
Reading the Big Book is nice, but you really need a sponsor to guide you through it. Hence the notes you found in the copy you picked up. That man had a sponsor.

And for Lauren, most divorces in alcoholic families occur after sobriety. And the reasons for this are innumerable. But what it boils down to is that the alcoholic gets sober and thinks that now everything is peachy. They don't realize the effect their drinking has had on the spouse and children over the years. For them, everything's not peachy. They had to change their personalities to accomodate living w/ a drunk, and those changes don't vanish overnight. The alcoholic is well and cannot understand why everyone else isn't. That sittuation leads to divorce. The smart spouse bailed out long ago because they didn't want to live their lives w/ a drunk.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:31 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Day 8...feeling great!

OK, I am exaggerating a bit...I feel way better than I did.

Went to docs yesterday, have to quit ciggies....I wonder if it's better to tackle that now, or one thing at a time.

Praying for everyone who is struggling today.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:11 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm back. Been MIA for awhile. Fell back into the routine, damnit. I am determined to beat this. Have some personal support right now. My BFF from HS has been clean 7 months. He has encouraged me to go to a meeting and found me one close to my home.

Thanks for being here.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:19 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by facing2day View Post
I will NOT drink again, just want to get on the ‘right road’ and stay there…just not sure where that road is at this point, the only thing I am sure of is that I am an alcoholic and need support and guidance.
dang it
Old 10-10-2009, 01:47 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back!
Old 10-10-2009, 03:25 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back facing2day

D
Old 10-14-2009, 04:39 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I know this is an older thread, but came across it when I was looking for effects of taking antabuse and drinking. I showed it to my AH because he thought he had figured out a way to get around the effects of antabuse by simply drinking before taking the medicine every morning. He also had figured out that he would throw up but once he did he said he could still drink. He did not realize that the severe muscle pain he was experiencing was also a reaction to the antabuse - he's barely been able to walk and was convinced it had nothing to do with his drinking alcohol on antabuse.

Until I shared this on-line entry with him. He gets it now - but more than that, this post also resonated with him on a personal level as he recognized himself in the story; and not just the antabuse reaction. While he's taking medication and seeing a doctor, I'm hopeful that he will see this forum as another means of getting support. Although I told him if he did, he will find some not so flattering posts about himself that I wrote - and some pointed responses from, not the family members, but others battling alcoholism. You guys cut each other less slack than we family members do. I think that's awesome.

And to facing2day, thanks for opening my AH's eyes, if only a little bit to the potential of this forum to help him through his recovery. Its a start.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:51 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Decided to Detox/Now in Rehab

As u all know I relapsed a couple of weeks ago..... I believe I am getting the right help this time around. Last time at this I detoxed and went right back home...this time, I left on 10/12 and went to detox in FL....stayed 5 days and now am in 30 day rehab program.

I am learning sooooooooooo much. I am also thankful to God that I did not and have not and am not the only one going through this. I knew here that I was not the only one, but, WOW...the people I have met and stories I have heard in the last 5 days of meetings and here at rehab, well, it's scared the bejesus out of me.

I know now I have to stick it out here for 30 days and then continue w/sponsor when I get home (have a temp one while here, met at AA meeting) and if I follow the steps and turn to the God I know that loves me I can be in recovery.

I will have to battle this for the rest of my life. I think I can. One day at a time right now.

I will fill in more later. Just got computer in my apt fixed so now I can be online.

Leaving for meeting in 10...hope to catch up w/y'all in chat later tonight.

Thanks for all the love n support....I'm not sure I would have made the decision to take these steps w/o learning so much here on this website.

:praying
Old 10-22-2009, 05:16 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to hear from you facing2day

D
Old 10-23-2009, 10:37 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
part time member

I'm scared. I just noticed the dates on these posts. Started in June now it is October. That means that this person didn't make it in June....I'm scared.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:51 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

facing2Day - Were you still taking the medication, or had you stopped?
Old 10-23-2009, 12:19 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Thank you for the updates, facing2day... this is a recovery website and when I don't hear from a person I assume the worst (the paranoid and realist part of my brain).

I am sorry I saw your post so late. You asked some questions that probably (to the consternation of the editors here) are medically related. Best answered by someone with an M.D. after their name (and most of the people here, with all due respect, have a B.S. after their name).

You are taking a few different medications, side effects and drug-drug interactions might cause some of your symptoms. I am NOT a doctor, --talk to your physician and pharmacist.

I took Antabuse for a year (court ordered so it was monitored --crushed, dissolved in water, and taken in sight of an outpatient employee). I remember feeling very lethargic (The PDR does say that it is a side-effect). My PO told me it was like a feeling one gets after eating a whole pizza-- he obviously put a friendly spin on it.

Personal experience: I felt better and better every day in sobriety, physically. If you don't feel the same way please consult with an expert. Considering the three scripts you are taking you have at least one physician and one pharmacist that are obligated to answer your questions.

Keep up the postings!
Old 10-23-2009, 05:02 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by puckettcg View Post
facing2Day - Were you still taking the medication, or had you stopped?
I had stopped. I personally will not ever take that route again. I am taking the AA way....I believe the 12 step program is for me. Wish I had went to rehab back in June to learn what I am learning now. Detoxing then going right back to the grind didn't work for me. I need to learn how to cope w/feelings, the ones I was drowing w/alcohol and I am learning that here.

I am positive if I follow the steps, get involved, surround myself w/others that understand and eventually be equipt to give back by serving, I can stay in recovery. It has/is working for so many. I have a lot of work ahead of me.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:35 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anthronify View Post
Thank you for the updates, facing2day... this is a recovery website and when I don't hear from a person I assume the worst (the paranoid and realist part of my brain).

I am sorry I saw your post so late. You asked some questions that probably (to the consternation of the editors here) are medically related. Best answered by someone with an M.D. after their name (and most of the people here, with all due respect, have a B.S. after their name).

You are taking a few different medications, side effects and drug-drug interactions might cause some of your symptoms. I am NOT a doctor, --talk to your physician and pharmacist.

I took Antabuse for a year (court ordered so it was monitored --crushed, dissolved in water, and taken in sight of an outpatient employee). I remember feeling very lethargic (The PDR does say that it is a side-effect). My PO told me it was like a feeling one gets after eating a whole pizza-- he obviously put a friendly spin on it.

Personal experience: I felt better and better every day in sobriety, physically. If you don't feel the same way please consult with an expert. Considering the three scripts you are taking you have at least one physician and one pharmacist that are obligated to answer your questions.

Keep up the postings!
I thought I had responded to this...hate it when that happens. I was checkin' in to give a quick update, some hope I wanted to address you about your comment on meds....since 10/12 I have not taken any medications that were prescribed to me prior. During detox, 5 days, I was on stuff they were giving me for nerves, anxiety, vitamins, ect...since leaving detox on 10/17 I haven't taken ANYTHING.

Update: Still facing each day in the moment. A lot of prayer and reading. Haven't gotten out of house for church or meetings as I would like, the flu went around our house but, we'll get there.

Praying for all those still sick and suffering..this is one of the hardest times of the year.