Notices

Disappointed in myself

Old 06-26-2009, 07:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Disappointed in myself

I went out some mates tonight to shoot some pool and was having a great time, until we were approached by a couple of obnoxious drunks with big mouths. I asked them to take it easy and watch the language as we had some ladies playing pool with us. Anyway things got worse and I grabbed one of them by the throat and and was ready to kill before security intervened and they were kicked out.
That should have been that but i stewed on it for 15 minutes before getting in my car and going looking for them, thankfully I never found them.
I am really disappointed in myself, i have not let my temper get the better of me since I stopped drinking and I quickly reverted back to the blind rage I used to get into when I was drinking and someone pissed me off.
Anyway I home know and trying to relax.
Thanks for letting me blow off some steam
Old 06-26-2009, 07:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Marty, I'm glad it didn't escalate beyond the situation that you describe. I'm also glad you didn't debrief w/a 12-pack. Consider that a step in the right direction for your personal growth. If there's a next time, recognize the potential for your evil twin to emerge, then squash it as best you can. There's a time to defend yourself, but I sense from your post that you were the aggressor here. You don't want to hurt someone and lose everything you've worked so hard to achieve. Sounds to me like you can chalk this up as a learning experience.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Marty,

Do you think you were more angered by these individuals because they may have shown you what you were like when you were drunk? I know I used to make a fool out of myself in public places when i was tanked and now that I am sober, I hate being around bpeople who drink. I am glad you didn't do anything to get you arrested or worse.

Chris
Old 06-26-2009, 07:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, no I was in a good mood up until and dont feel I was the aggressor we were minding our own business, just got really annoyed with what they said to the girls. In saying that I could have handled it better than grabbing someone by the throat thats why I annoyed at myself
Old 06-26-2009, 07:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Marty,

I'm glad the situation didn't escalate and that you are now able to look at it rationally. It helps to reflect afterward so that when you find yourself in a similar situation in the future you've already made a (rational) decision on how to handle it rather then letting emotion dictate a course of action.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Marty,

I'm also glad the situation didn't escalate.

Hopefully you can consider this a learning experience and move on.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Marty being sober I am sure you have learned from this and will be able in the future either avoid a similar situation totally or handle it differently. Just breath my friend, in with the good and out with the bad, slowly, ever slowly, focus and just be.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Taz, Im feeling relaxed now, a couple of months ago I would have had to drink so at least thats one positive that I didn't. Im doing step 4, so i guess i have some more to add !!!
Old 06-26-2009, 08:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Good job for trying, good job for meaning well.

I have to stay away from loud mouthed drunks completely, I have to leave the area when I encounter one/some.

I hate them because they remind me of how I used to be, and I have real difficulty accepting that.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks Tommy, I understand what you mean completely, yeah it would of been me with the mouth before.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I too try and avoid drunks for the same reasons, it is really hard for me to see my old self in them, the memories are not ones I like.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey Marty, sounds like you didnt do too much wrong. They had it coming.. of course grabbing someone by the throat isnt usually the best approach but at least that was all that happened. They are lucky you didnt find them and maybe you learned the lesson that getting irate at a bunch of drunks only makes you feel bad. Drunk people are annoying.. I can vouch for that, I was one of them!
Old 06-26-2009, 05:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
mergirl

I'm sorry I have zero comforting words for you today my dear. You see, yesterday I met up with a fellow who abused his dog so horribly it had to be put down today. I did my best to try and bring the dog home to rehab it, but what I really wish I had was a big strong friend who could have gone over, grabbed the guy by his nasty a$$ throat, and made him give me the pup. Instead I had to call the pound to get it for me, and they did what they do><
I don't honestly know if there are any men in my life who would grab a guy by the throat when he needed it, that makes me sad.
I'm not sounding very spiritually enlightened today
Old 06-26-2009, 08:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thats sad news Lisa, I can stand people that abuse animals, mainly they are just weak bullies.
I feel better today, I believe I did the right thing in standing up for myself and the people of was with. I was more disappointed in the fact I jumped in the car and went looking for them, I should have just let it go.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's a pretty common Aussie male reaction Marty - and I don't mean it's right, cos it's not - but it takes time to learn to think rather than react.....

and, while going to look for them might not have been the best move? you did calm down and you didn't drink.... so I think you deserve some congrats.

There will always be loudmouths - especially drunken loudmouths. We all have to learn to deal with it in a healthy way.

We're all a work in progress mate

D
Old 06-26-2009, 10:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks, mate, yeah old habits die hard, and I should have let it be water of a ducks back after it happened. Anyway really pleased I didnt drink. My grandmother always taught me "never let a mug upset you" I need to remember that
Old 06-26-2009, 10:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
mergirl

bleh. I need to make friends with a biker gang. . .

or move to kamloops or australia
Old 06-26-2009, 10:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Lisa, I'll pick you up at the airport
Old 06-26-2009, 10:57 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
mergirl

thanks for the smile honey, I'm going to go read before I get myself in trouble

<3