Notices

Advice regarding my alcoholic & abusive uncle

Old 06-25-2009, 10:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice regarding my alcoholic & abusive uncle

Hi - I was just wondering if anyone can offer any ideas/advice. My alcoholic uncle is living with my grandmother who has alzheimer's. He's verbally abusive and also doesn't take care of her - give her medications or feed her when he's supposed to. He gets drunk in the morning and then sleeps all afternoon.

We need to have him removed from the house. He's living there for free, doesn't work.

I've called adult protective services and they said they can't come out for 10-12 days. I also called the sheriff dept and they said we would have to prove abuse to have him removed and that would take 30 days. I don't understand how they can let him stay there and abuse my grandma for 30 more days.

Does anyone have experience with this? He's too big and mean for me and my family members to get him out on our own.

Thanks,

c
Old 06-25-2009, 10:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Heathen

I would keep calling the cops reporting ACTIVE abuse and neglect.

Call APS until they do something..Report that the abuse is ACTIVELY going on and you need a wellness check ASAP. Speak to supervisors, whatever you have to do.

I know how frustrating it can be.

Do you not live in the same area/state? Can no one in the area help HER call the cops from her house?
Old 06-25-2009, 10:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by smacked View Post
I would keep calling the cops reporting ACTIVE abuse and neglect.

Call APS until they do something..Report that the abuse is ACTIVELY going on and you need a wellness check ASAP. Speak to supervisors, whatever you have to do.

I know how frustrating it can be.

Do you not live in the same area/state? Can no one in the area help HER call the cops from her house?
Thanks Smacked - I live 10 miles from her and I can't do anything. They said to call 911 when something happens, but even then they may not be able to do anything. He's like a criminal living in her house.

APS said they wouldn't be able to come out for 10-12 days. It's a frustrating situation - I feel like shooting him with my 12 guage just to end it. Ugh!
Old 06-25-2009, 11:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

My sympathies and prayers for you & your family during this time of difficulty.

Would it be possible for anyone to call her doctor and inform them of the situation? Perhaps they would be able to step in and take action, as it is obviously affecting her health and well being. Maybe they would even be able to give you more suggestions or refer you to resources that could help resolve this matter in other ways?
Old 06-25-2009, 11:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CALYNN View Post
Hi - I was just wondering if anyone can offer any ideas/advice. My alcoholic uncle is living with my grandmother who has alzheimer's. He's verbally abusive and also doesn't take care of her - give her medications or feed her when he's supposed to. He gets drunk in the morning and then sleeps all afternoon.

We need to have him removed from the house. He's living there for free, doesn't work.

I've called adult protective services and they said they can't come out for 10-12 days. I also called the sheriff dept and they said we would have to prove abuse to have him removed and that would take 30 days. I don't understand how they can let him stay there and abuse my grandma for 30 more days.

Does anyone have experience with this? He's too big and mean for me and my family members to get him out on our own.

Thanks,

c
i have almost the exact situation except my uncle is doing speed and trying to plant weed plants at the house .....he has beeen stealing her money and like yu said very verbally abusive and munipulates her all the time because of her alzheimer, he also cntinues to deal drugs from the house as well....contact the alzheimer assocations ...i could give you more advice but they can access your situation better goood luck please fill free to ask more questions
Old 06-25-2009, 12:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Originally Posted by CALYNN View Post

Thanks,

c
I'm sorry to hear this Lynn,

P.M. me if you need to talk
Old 06-25-2009, 12:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Perhaps, until you can get HIM out of the house, one of you could move your grandmother in with you. Or, maybe a bunch of you could just move into the house with them until the authorities can get out there and put a stop to this. The main thing is your grandmother's safety. If he won't leave, maybe bring her to your place for a while.