Notices

Being sober really does test you

Old 06-25-2009, 01:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Being sober really does test you

I have discovered that staying sober is a test, how long this test will last I don't know. I think it's a test because you have to deal with all your emotions, feeling, the pain, guilt , frustration, the anxiety and you can not numb these feelings with alcohol, you have to learn to deal with them. It is like all those emotions that you have numbed all just pop up out of nowhere. Which has made me realized that alcohol does not make problems go away they just push them aside and when there's no alcohol the problems are still there and you have to deal with them.
I have decided that I am not going to fail this test and as I said come friends with it. Emotions are not there for us to fear, we all have emotions and going through these one day at a time is the way to go.

At the moment I am on day 73 of being sober, it hasn't been an easy road, one of toughest roads of my life, but I am just going to move on forward into this new life.

Thanks for reading.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Way to go Maz, you are doing a great job & I am so proud of you. Please take care & I look forward to learning about you recovery.

Take Care,

NB
Old 06-25-2009, 02:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I TOTALLY agree with this! I am approx. on the same duration of sober that you are, and each day is different, as far as feelings and emotions go. When does it end????........nobody knows. Hang in there!
Old 06-25-2009, 03:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Good post Maz, congrats on the days sober as well. You know Maz I use an open book in taking my life long test of sobriety and I have a ton of other people who help me with that test and I help them as well. I am not alone in my alcohlism nor am I alone in my recovery. My path I walk is filled with fellow travelers, some times we walk side by side, some times we follow others while at the same time leading others. During the really tough times I have been carried along that path and have also carried others. I am so thankful that I am not on that path alone, I have all of you great folks here at SR and in AA.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by maz09 View Post
I have discovered that staying sober is a test, how long this test will last I don't know. I think it's a test because you have to deal with all your emotions, feeling, the pain, guilt , frustration, the anxiety.................
Hi Maz,
Congrats on your 73 days of sobriety! I too buried all my feelings with alcohol. It is kind of a shocker when we essentially start experiencing and dealing with life again. All this stuff seems like the volume is turned up on at first and then gradually seems at a more normal level. It's a real kicker to realize that we are relearning to deal with things that most of us dealt with pretty well growing up. When we drank we just put off dealing with things and they became real monsters later on. It is so much better to feel life today.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Maz, welcome to SR and congratulations on your sober time! I agree sobriety is a test and will continue to be for the rest of my life, but as with any test it gets easier over time. All the emotions, guilt, pain, etc are still there but being sober we are better able to deal with it all. Sobriety has brought me closer to God, before I was too ashamed to ask anyone for help much less God now I realize I am worthy and my life has a purpose, even if I don't know totally what that is.
Best wishes on your continued sobriety.

Judy
Old 06-25-2009, 07:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Maz,

You are right about what you're going through.

The good news is that we learn, as time goes by, to deal with the emotions of every day life and we get better at it.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

So very true.. however now sober, we can also fully experience happiness, excitement, contentment, pleasure.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

now sober, we can also fully experience happiness, excitement, contentment, pleasure
True true!

All the emotions, good and bad, we are meant to feel. Congratulations on 73 days!! Thats GREAT!!
Old 06-25-2009, 12:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Viewing things as a "test" always led me to a perfectionist attitude towards life.
i hope that you are better at it and are more sucessful with it than i was.

Well done on having another day sober!
Old 06-25-2009, 01:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm inspired by your 73 days. I hope I have the strength to make it that far. Keep up the good work.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on the 73 days Maz :bounce

it really does get easier...every day we deal with stuff sober, we gain a little bit more in life skills...you've got the right positive attitude....hang in there!

D