Notices

Suicidal thoughts cant stop drinking

Old 06-24-2009, 09:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Suicidal thoughts cant stop drinking

Alcohol depressions are awful cant take drinking anymore. The situation im in is a no win situation

I turned up at my local services 6 and a half weeks ago at what i thought was a rock bottem. Im on the waiting list for a detox but im still waiting and could be waiting for up to another month, another month for gods sake

Im not sure i can detox at home my parents both work full time and im not sure they could cope with me detoxing at home, i think i need to be removed from the environment where i have been drinking.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

NewHorizon25,

It is very important that you call emergency services or a crisis hotline if you are having suicidal thoughts. I had the same thoughts about a month ago and take it from me, they do go away. You really need to get through his time and make sure you reflect on the good things in your life or at least the things that will get better once you have quit drinking.

Chris
Old 06-24-2009, 09:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Welcome to the SR community.

i hope that you can hang on to your desire to stop drinking and be patient in waiting to receive the help you are seeking. If you keep that desire alive, then you are already halway thru the struggle of admitting complete defeat. Have you considered going to some A.A. meetings in the meantime? They are a great source of hope and support.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have phoned helplines both aa and non aa. Im going to meetings 5 days a week and have also called people from aa. Nothing is going to take away the fact i need to stop drinking now, but im forced to wait and wait for a residential detox. I feel desperate im drinking daily and getting more depressed iv been hanging on in there waiting for this detox for weeks. Its becoming almost to much to bear. if i knew i was going to feel like this waiting i would of sorted out a home detox and asked my parents to take time off work or something.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi new horizons,

I agree with chris - if you are having suicidal thoughts please call emergency services or a crisis hotline.

here are some numbers
USA National Suicide Hotlines
Toll-Free / 24 hours / 7 days a week
1-800-SUICIDE / 1-800-784-2433
1-800-273-TALK / 1-800-273-8255
TTY: 1-800-799-4TTY (4889)

Or, if you need to, just call 911 and ask for help.
D
Old 06-24-2009, 09:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Hi NH, I'm glad you're here reaching out for help and support. Please take a momemt to read this information http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-suicidal.html

I've been where you're at, many people have, there's hope and we can win over this. If you're sober and can drive safely, get to a meeting. If you're feeling suicidal please call the hotline or get to an emergency room.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

please hang on. don't give up the fight. I will suggest that you discuss with your parents about your problem and what you need to do to overcome the problem. contrary to what you may be thinking, they may give you the necessary support and help you get a good and reliabel center where you can get help. whatever you do, don't give up on your decision to quit. good luck.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I do not know your financial or health insurance situation and am generally ignorant about these kinds of things anyway, but couldn't you just go to the emergency room of a local hospital, get admitted for a few days, and go through detox there? I have heard stories about doctor's being aholes to alcoholics before but if you called around you could probably find a hostpital that would admit you. If you mention the magical "S" word--suicide--they pretty much have to admit you and it would not be misleading them to do so in your case. Not as ideal as residential treatment program but it sounds like you are ready to stop now. Obviously you need supervision as alcohol detox can be deadly but if I were you I would look into every alternative to get in somewhere. Your shame and guilt and what not will only continue to build and you can't work a good progam until you actually physically give up the drink. This sounds like a literal life and death issue and I don't think you should wait a month. You are ready now. Don't let the logistical nonsense get in the way.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can't add much more but just want to encourage you that if you're feeling suicidal you don't have to wait for help.Go to your local ER-tell them you're suicidal.They will admit you.They have to.You can get help right now and I hope you do.

Thinking of you.

Jules.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You have to detox from alcohol?
Old 06-24-2009, 11:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Here is a site that might help.

FRANK - Need help

FRANK - Finding support

GETTING HELP

http://www.talktofrank.com/article.aspx?id=322
Old 06-25-2009, 12:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Please stay with us, you can recover & have a wonderful life. I have also thought about ending it all but I couldnt do that to the people that love & care about me. There are people out there that would be hurt forever if you ....

Here is my offering, this is so fitting... please listen with all of your heart & soul. We are all here with you & understand... Hang On.

Luv, NB

:ghug

Old 06-25-2009, 12:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You have come this far, with a month or so to go, i guess you have been drinking more than one month in your life so far...so hang on and check out detox, getting into recovery and seeing if life is really not worth living. It would not be you making the decision on suicide at the moment but your booze riddled insane brain and that simply is not you!

I do truly know where you are coming from, i had a great little living hell going and had it all figured out for my "way out", and had 2 friends of mine kill themselves when i was in my twenties, one my best friend...17 years later i still think regularly about Shaun and what might have been with a feeling of guilt and sadness, his parents split up and his sister is a total ******* lunatic...can't write anymore about that too sad!

Use the numbers on this thread, do whatever you have to do until detox and just know that by that single action you will destroy people who care about you...nothing more than that.

Good luck and hope you keep posting!
Old 06-25-2009, 01:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wow yeahgr8, that moved me reading it.

NewHorizon25, I am so happy to see that your green light is on (which means that you are visiting the forum). Please take care & continue to read. You can do this!

NB
Old 06-25-2009, 01:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by spiker View Post
You have to detox from alcohol?
Um, yeah. A simple hangover IS detoxing. If you were as serious of an alkie as I was, detoxing from alcohol can be deadly without medical supervision. Alcohol detoxing is in fact the deadliest detox of any drug, 7 times more deadly than opiate detox.

So please hang in there NewHorizon, and if you detox at home please see a Dr.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
Um, yeah. A simple hangover IS detoxing. If you were as serious of an alkie as I was, detoxing from alcohol can be deadly without medical supervision. Alcohol detoxing is in fact the deadliest detox of any drug, 7 times more deadly than opiate detox.

So please hang in there NewHorizon, and if you detox at home please see a Dr.
that's really scary considering I did detox on my own. There was a time where I did almost go into hospital but didn't. I just kept on praying. I'm thankful, really thankful that I made it through it.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by hendershot View Post
If you mention the magical "S" word--suicide--they pretty much have to admit you and it would not be misleading them to do so in your case.

Yes. They have to admit you. Please go to the emergency room now.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

yes go to the emergency room
Old 06-25-2009, 02:27 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Gotta do what you gotta do, and you will look back on this 10 years from now and be glad that you GOT HELP. Check yourself in somewhere, and don't feel bad about doing it.....
Old 06-25-2009, 02:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR NewHorizon.

Pick up a phone now!!!!

Call every stinking number here, grab the phone book, call the AA hotiline tell them EXACTLY what is up. Call the Salvation Army, they do detox, call 911 if you feel suicidal.

Trust me, there is a great life to be had beyond where you are at right now.