Notices

hot weather trigger

Old 06-24-2009, 12:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hot weather trigger

the hot weather trigger is upon me. third day in a row that I got home and went straight to the alano club. It's ok today that I don't have a life...i mean that "coming to the alano club" does not imply that i don't have a life, but I NEED to be here right now in order to stay clean. and i'm ok with that. I have the most wonderful alano club and am grateful for that.

the first thing i did was order and drink a strawberry shake...now i'm working on a cherry shake. I could have stopped after the first one, but said *uck it. I'd rather say that to shakes than to crack.

drinking shakes/eating food are not the best tools in my toolbox, but i was overwhelmed and I didn't feel safe being alone.

I'm already feeling better.

now i can either relax a bit, sociallize, or perhaps do some recovery work. I'm gonna be ok
Old 06-24-2009, 01:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm glad you chose the shakes. It's wonderful that you know your triggers so well and take care of them by going to the meetings.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JJB

hi ks
I know what you mean about the hot weather being a trigger
I also find that tv programmes can be a trigger-seeing someone on TV enjoy a glass of wine will haunt me for quite a while.
Well done for finding a delicious alternative-sounds nice your strawberry shake!
I've bought myself a smoothie maker-makes lovely cold and delicous and nutritious drinks i'd recommend it to anyone!
With all the lovely summer fruit about at the moment the possibilities of what you can make are endless!
Old 06-24-2009, 01:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thank for your quick responses.

after drinking them shakes i want to lay down. and i very well might.

the urge is slowly falling away. funny though, my mind doesn't want to let it go completely. I mean the craving is gone, but the mind still kind've wants to entertain the idea. but it's falling farthur away. I will be ok. I will stay clean today. today i want to stay clean more than i want to use.

it's ok if i WANT to use....if it comes up....in other words wanting to use doesn't take away my quality of life per say.....but I have to act quick and make sure that i want to stay clean more than i want to use.

i'm grateful for my children, my friends, my recovery, my perspective on life, my past and for air conditioning, and for my very very full stomach.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

ksplash,

I'm just going to ask, and you can tell me to buzz off if you want. Where are you with taking the steps? It's great that you want to stay clean, that you have a safe place to go, that you practice some thought stopping and gratitude tricks, but that craving and obsession thing sucks. Best to have it removed.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's great you have a place you feel safe ksplash.

Have you seen the summer sobriety thread? lots of ppl seem to be having the same kinds of issues with summer as a trigger - it's a hard time for many.

I think thinking it through, having a sense of gratitude and being proactive against cravings or thoughts are powerful tools - thanks for the reminder

D
Old 06-24-2009, 01:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Knowing your triggers is half the battle. Glad you opted for shakes!
Old 06-24-2009, 01:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey ksplash...I'm with Dee on this...you did well. Every "trigger" or "craving" worked thru makes you stronger. Good job...and now I want a strawberry shake! LOL
Old 06-24-2009, 02:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i've worked the steps quite thoroughly and will continue to do so...

actually i'm goiing to go to a meeting now, in addition to my home group evening meeting a little later.

thanks for your thoughts
Old 06-24-2009, 02:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
ksplash, it's in the 100's here now and when I head over to the club for a meeting I still drink the lousy coffee....we don't have shakes there and I'm on a diet anyway......but the crummy coffee is still wayyyyy better than the ice cold beer I could be craving.

I really liked your thoughts here: i'm grateful for my children, my friends, my recovery, my perspective on life, my past and for air conditioning, and for my very very full stomach.

That helps me to deal with my triggers today, if I give in to the disease, then I give all those gifts away.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Sounds like you have the beginnings of a great life to me.

Basing my life around the programs (NA/AA), the steps, and the principles, is giving me the life I always dreamed of.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

NOw I want a shake. Hang in there Ksplash.
You have come so far to let a little hot weather get to you.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

YUM! I love milkshakes.. maybe not as much as a cold beer but.. they would do the trick for me too.

Sounds like you are on the right track.. hang in there, some days are better than others. Hope tommorow is FANTASTIC for you.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

thanks for the encouragement and everything....

after my first meeting, i laid in the sun for 20 minutes and jumped in my pool for a moment, and enjoyed my second meeting. I felt peaceful at home; i could be with myself again, alone.

things pass. that's one of the things that helps me; knowing that if i'm strugglling and I hang on then eventually I will make it through the difficulty.

When I got on the road this morning to start driving to work I immediately noticed my mind just simply hating every car being driven by another human being. very spiteful thoughts. I can't think of a specific thought right now, but this kind of thinking ("spiteful" thinking as i think of it) is something that I am noticing more.

anyway this little moment of recovery has brought me back to peace. the spitefulness has passed, for the moment. the soft wind on my arms and typing fingers from the fan nearby in this plant are soothing. the darkness is behind and in front of me, but right now is Light.