Notices

I got sober, and I got hungry, really hungry

Old 06-22-2009, 05:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I got sober, and I got hungry, really hungry

I am sure some of you have experienced this. When I sobered up, my appetite increased tremendously. I always want to eat. And I never feel satisfied. I am never full. Or what I had for dinner didn't hit the spot.
Anyways, when you sobered up, did you just want to eat everything in sight?

It isn't like I was malnourished when I drank. Quite the contrary I always ate everyday. And believe it or not, I was a healthy drunk. I always got my fruits and vegetables.

I am still in alright shape. But I can see this hunger sending me over my ideal weight.

Why am I hungry? How can I make it stop? Is my body trading one addiction for another?
Old 06-22-2009, 05:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Yeah, I put on 30 pounds when I quit drinking. I hate it!
Old 06-22-2009, 06:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Whenever I drank heavily, I would lose weight, lots of it, like I was wasting away. Probably had to do with vomiting, which helped me to get over hangovers more easily. Nice, huh? I got on the scale the other day and was 97.5 lbs, with jeans on and all. I guess I'd rather be a little chunkier and healthier. I think exercise is the perfect remedy. If you are not drinking and hungover all the time, it's so much easier to fit exercise into your life!
Old 06-22-2009, 06:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I eat like a horse.

And I workout/exercise like a horse too.

Sure love this new life. What a wonderful 'addiction' I guess I got in trade for drinking.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Spiker,

Yep-initially for me, I was hungry a lot too.I didn't eat much when I was drinking and I think it was partly my body needing nourishment after I stopped-but also in the beginning stages I think my brain was trying to rewire itself without alcohol.So it was hard for me to differentiate if I was craving alcohol or food.Alcohol was no longer an option so when I got a craving I'd think it was hunger.The 'not feeling satisfied' part for me was simply my body not actually wanting food-it wanted alcohol and wasn't getting it.I learned to ignore it.

It passes though.The first month-6 weeks I was eating like a horse.But it calmed down and now I eat decently (most of the time) Exercise helped me a lot too-so it's great you're doing that as well! also-even though you were eating well when you were drinking-be aware it still takes a toll on your body and robs us of nutrients regardless.So some of what you're experiencing could be your body recuperating too.Hang in there.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When you consume alcohol it's converted to carbohydrates -sugar. Your body gets used to getting a lot of sugar, and when you quit drinking your body may react to the sudden drop of sugar. A lot of us suddenly craved sweets, some just ate a lot more as they were no longer satisfying the sugar demand, and some have no reaction at all. Try drinking orange juice. It may quiet down the body until it gets adjusted to the new diet. And gaining a few pounds is far better that drinking.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I didn't have an increase in appetite but I am certainly craving more sugar. I don't normally like sweets at all (even as a child, weird, I know!) but now I need something sweet everyday. I've been trying to satisfy the craving with fruit. I've eaten a lot of oranges, cherries, strawberries and blueberries and pineapple. It helps curb the cravings. When I'm being bad, I melt a bar of dark chocolate and pour it over the strawberries. Yum! And I must confess that I've had a couple of lemon bars.

Now that I'm entering my 5th week, the sugar cravings are diminishing. I've found that if I feel like overeating, it really helps to take a walk. Just 10 minutes of walking and the desire to eat is gone like magic!

Are you getting any exercise? It has helped me and a lot of others here. Congrats on your decision to be sober!
Old 06-22-2009, 09:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Pleae check with your doctor about hypoglycemia.

I followed the eating plan + supplements I found in
:Under The Influence" for about 6 months.
I consider that was a factor in smoothing out my early sobreity.

Hope this helps....