Notices

Enough is Enough

Old 06-22-2009, 10:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Enough is Enough

Stumbled across this site while googling different searches this morning about quiting drinking and minimizing withdrawal symptoms. Sitting here on a Monday morning (again) too shaky to go to work and feeling terrible. Second or third weekend where i've actually started drinking ciders/wine throughout the day to keep the pleasant "fog" going all weekend. Unfortunately it's not so great on Monday when you can 't have your "medicine" to keep everything calm...... Owe it to my wife and kids to be a better daddy.... I would appreciate any bits of advice anyone can give and will try to be there for others.....ready to get back to a clear head and start enjoying life without the drink......
Old 06-22-2009, 10:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Old 06-22-2009, 10:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi IWN (Like your witty name btw). Welcome to SR! You have made the first step and I am glad you decided to post. SR can help you and will help you. Reaching out is key and reading through the different threads is very helpful.

You can do it, but just make a pledge not to drink for 24 hours. Go that long and then continue it 24 more hours. Maybe change your routine if you need to. I had to stay out of the kitchen at a certain time of day and I liked to stock up on a variety of juices and sodas and also coffee. Variety was key to me. Go for a walk too or just get out of the house.

If you need face to face support try AA or a recovery group in your area. You can always google it. AA has helped so many around here. I use SR for now, but if I ever need more I will try it myself.

You might want to consult a doctor because withdrawing can be dangerous. I don't know what your situation is.

Glad to see you have joined and are looking to start a sober life. It is really rewarding to live soberly.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Coming to SR is a big step in the right direction. You will find lots of help here from people all over the globe. Read the stickies at the top of the forums for some good information. Learn about alcoholism by reading up on it. I can tell you the two books that really helped me were Under the Influence and Beyond the Influence. Just google 'em and you'll find 'em. Learning about it can't hurt and it could make you the good dad and husband you see yourself as being. Keep coming back to SR. Read a lot and post a lot. It really does help. Good luck.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dear Witty, (((((Hugs to you)))))

A huge big "WELCOME" to the SR Family! It is "not" by accident you stumbled upon this site today. Sounds from what you've written that the time has come for a "new beginning" in your life. You also "owe it to yourself" to love and be who you really are. Sobriety is a truly wonderful Gift that is available to us all for the asking and the acceptance. It is a journey that we will share with you beginning right now if you wish. The fine folk of SR will all welcome you with open arms and the chat room is open 24 hours a day to share your thoughts and receive the help of others who are experienced in this journey of Sobriety. Live for "today" and not tomorrow. One day at a time and you will have the strength and courage for each day and the gifts it brings to enjoy. Let today be the "first day" of your new life and new journey my friend. All the very best to you. Stick with us along the way.

Love Pancake xo
Old 06-22-2009, 11:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Don't tempt me. I may insert a witty name. Anyway, Horselover made a good suggestion about AA. I also recommend that you give it a try. If you don't like the folks in the first meeting you try, then go to a different one. And when you go, tell them that you're new to recovery and would like some help. I guarantee that you'll get it.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR and congrats on deciding to stop drinking. I too would advise consulting your doctor about detoxing safely cause it can be dangerous, depending on what and how much and how often you drink.

Give AA a good try too, try several meetings before you decide if it's for you. Lots of good info here. Go to the Alcoholism forum and read the 'stickies' at the top of the page for lots of good info.

Love your name, by the way!
Old 06-22-2009, 12:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the quick and caring responses.....Still trying to figure out how i got myself in this situation, hard to admit that you can't get yourself out with help! Gaining a lot of insight and "been there's" from reading all these posts and trying to come up with a game plan....haven't hit "rock bottom" like some of the situations i've read about and i'm going to try to do my damndest not to get there......admitting you have a problem is very liberating and to keep this liberation going, i'd like to self indulge and give some details of my situation...
Was always shy growing up and can still remember the first party where i had a few beers and suddenly became the life of the party.....that continued until i got a stressful job and began to have drinks in the evening to help relax and sleep well.....over the past 5 years the trend just snowballed and i've now gone from drinking beer to drinking hard liquor and have now "cut down" (yeah right) to a bottle to a bottle and a half of wine a night or more on the weekend......from reading the posts, this seems pretty cookie cutter....i'm trying to work on the stopping part and every evening it's the same thing....i'll just have a couple of glasses with dinner to relax......
Old 06-22-2009, 12:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

According to the Center for Disease Control ....it makes no difference
what type of alcohol you drink. They all are toxic and cause
damage to your brain and body.

Sooo...in order to stay safe and de tox...talking
honestly with your doctor is a wise idea.
Get yourself unstuck from this vicious circle.

Here is a link about de toxing

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

The thread below it has exceprts from the book
that finally consinced me to stop drinking

Welcome to our recovery community....
Old 06-22-2009, 01:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Welcome to the SR community
i hope that you will keep coming back.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Welcome
Old 06-22-2009, 02:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Witty, you and I sound much alike. Kids, stressful jobs, and using alcohol for cheap thrills or a way to numb it all. I visited this site 41 days ago, and haven't had a drop since. SR has helped me tremendously. If you're like me, you want abusive alcohol relationships in your family to stop with you. So make it happen today. Get through today, then start stringing together more days.

I have not attended a meeting, despite the solid advice here to do so. If you can, do it.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Witty, you and I sound much alike. Kids, stressful jobs, and using alcohol for cheap thrills and/or a way to numb it all. I visited this site 41 days ago, and haven't had a drop since. SR has helped me tremendously. If you're like me, you want abusive alcohol relationships in your family to stop with you. So make it happen today. Get through today, then start stringing together more days.

I have not attended a meeting, despite the solid advice here to do so. If you can, do it. Try to post every day. It will help.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks Freeport.....that's exactly what i'm experiencing, numbs the stresses of the day....my 5 year old daughter said this weekend (of course fathers day of all days) "only daddy's can have alcohol"......yep.....epiphany.......i don't want my girls to go down this slippery slope.....got to get it out of our family experience....gonna try by myself first....hopefully SR can help me in this.......
Old 06-22-2009, 02:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi there, I am in the same boat. Divorced w/ 3 kids who really stress me out at times. The "glass" of chardonnay in the evening hours was just all too inviting to numb the stresses of the day, of which there are many. I'm trying to change my habits now and am having a glass of Gatoraid instead of the Chardonnay... and why? Because I want to feel good tomorrow. I think the one day at a time approach, as cliche as it sounds, is really key. Just try skipping that drink (i.e. bottle) tonight...
Old 06-22-2009, 02:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Welcome to SR, Witty and Ashtony! Read the stickies at the top of the forum and then read some of the posts from other members who are going through or have gone through what you are. There is another side and you can get to it with diligence. We're glad you're here! Keep posting! ((((HUGS))))
Old 06-22-2009, 02:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi insertwittyname - welcome to SR!

The best advice I can give right off is to read a lot here - feel free to post when you need to

Good to have you aboard!

Hi to Ashtony too
Like Suki said - you're very welcome to start your own thread to introduce yourself, when you're ready

D