Notices

Keeping alcohol in the house

Old 06-22-2009, 05:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Keeping alcohol in the house

It's my sixth day of quitting. I still have my favorite drinks stocked in the freezer and cabinets. I know I'm keeping them there "in case."
In case I have a day that's just too stressful
In case I'm bored
In case I decide that I don't really have a problem
And then I justify it by saying to myself that we need it for dinner parties, guests etc.
I don't want to start again but I'm also not ready to throw out the poison (esp since it's a collection of expensive bottles and I keep thinking how much will it cost to replace this stash once I change my mind) I am in a bad place, I don't want to start again
Old 06-22-2009, 06:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
let it grow!

i say pitch them, or ask a supportive friend of family member to dump them for you.

support to you, k
Old 06-22-2009, 07:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

It sounds like time to make a decision.

I never keep alcohol in the house, nor do I ever serve alcohol in the house. That makes life simpler for me.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

We have a big bottle of whiskey on our kitchen counter than I've been walking past dozens of times per day for my 41 days of sobriety. I'm proud of the fact that I can deal with it, though one reason I've quite drinking is to set a better example for my kids. Yet we leave a bottle of whiskey out in plain site 24-7. Seems a little bass-ackwards. Think I'll put in a cabinet above the refrigerator tonight...
Old 06-22-2009, 07:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Yes, that's exactly how the subconscious diseased mind operates.

Setting yourself up to eventually fail.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

I'd say maybe give them to a friend (a good one who understands what you are trying to do) for safe keeping. I also had some very expensive bottles of vintage port in my collection that I really didn't want to part with. When I took one out and chugged it like it was a $5 bottle of hooch, I knew it was time.

My current living situation has alcohol readily available in the house, and it is indeed a temptation. I went as far as having a bottle in my hand the other night. But I am not living in my own house, so I don't feel I have the right to project my issues on the rest of the family. If I were living on my own though, I would definately not have it in the house. Take care.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

You've indentified that you want to stop, but are not really giving yourself the best possible chance of success.
It's one thing to know where the exit is if the building starts to burn down, but it is another thing to stand there at the exit waiting for it to burn down. i would suggest calling a friend to see if they will hold your stash for awhile.
If you really want to learn of a different solution to your problems, stop hanging around the old professors!

Please get yourself to an A.A. meeting today and pick up some literature. Call the A.A. Hotline number,
which is in the phone book, they can tell you where & when meetings are taking place in your local area.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Location: Overseas... on the shore of an uncharted desert isle.
I keep alcohol in the house, but for the right reasons I think:
  1. My wife enjoys a drink once in a while and she is not an alcoholic.
  2. Sometimes we have company, and we will serve them alcohol.
  3. Most importantly, I have never been tempted - not even once; also when I was drunk, I almost always drank outside the home.

However, in your case, it sounds like it is a real threat to your sobriety. Why not give them to a good friend (without a drinking problem) who'd appreciate it?
Old 06-22-2009, 09:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Heathen

I have no need for alcohol in my house. I kept alcohol in my house until I finally decided I was really done. Guests can survive not drinking at my house, and if not, well.. not my issue.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

effortjoy

good for you to post here and be honest... what I see is no willingness to stop drinking... when that willingness develops, and it may... you won't be keeping that alcohol in your house anymore...

only you can find the desire you need to quit.

good luck and keep posting on SR, and welcome to the community!!

Mark
Old 06-22-2009, 10:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

For where you are in your sobriety (Day 6) there is no reason to have any alcohol in the house. Get it out of there. Not cool.
Make it so at least you have to go to the store if you want to relapse. More of a chance that way to at least pick up the phone and stop yourself along the way. It sounds like you are planning your relapse already which makes it pretty hard to avoid it once one of those "ifs" happen--and they will happen.
I don't know if you are working any kind of a program but you need too. You can't do this alone. DC has some great AA. Get a sponsor and bring these concerns to them--but I have to imagine anyone would say the same as those on here. Good luck.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Dump the stuff. You'll end up rationalizing yourself right back to drinking. I can give you a number of good reasons not to have the stuff around, you haven't given any good reason to keep it handy. And damn the price of the stuff! It's a cheap price to pay to get sober. And start going to AA meetings. As the man said, there's a lot more to quitting drinking than quitting drinking.