Notices

Okay...

Old 06-21-2009, 07:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Okay...

I drank tonight. It was Fathers day. My family got together and we celebrated. Do I feel guilty? nope. I'm not about to post that I am weak and lost. I know exactly what I have done and know my mistakes. I'm not about to throw away all the accomplishments I have made. If people want to look down on me....so be it. But I know I am strong and have been that way for a while. Just want to post for those that drink once in a while...that are strong... it happens. We're all human. No one's perfect and no one ever will be.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Who are you trying to convince - us or yourself? And is that to say that those who do not drink once in a while are not strong? I beg to differ. I do not drink "once in a while" because I am strong. I think if we were all perfect we would not be here in need of a website like this. If you did not feel guilty, why did you post?
Old 06-21-2009, 07:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

bstt- When was the last time you used? It must be nice to go into threads and act holier than thou. Last time I checked, this forum was for people who wanted to express there feelings...whether they were using at the time or not...and were not condemned for it.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
13 May 2009

How do you feel now thirstforlife? did it satisfy the cravings? i wish i could have a drink, but I cant...my controlled drink program was a tragic failure, every single time.....but it always started out well!
Old 06-21-2009, 07:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting. A welcome reminder of how defensive and argumentative I am when I am drinking.
I wish you the best in whatever you choose for yourself.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Last time I checked, this forum was for people who wanted to express there feelings...whether they were using at the time or not...and were not condemned for it.
You're right TFL - and you're free to express any reasonable opinion - we all are.

But this is a recovery site. It's full of people who cannot slip in and out of drinking. Like you posted once, for a lot of us it's like a potato chip - can't have just one. Coming here and saying it was okay for you to drink because you're strong and can handle it isn't really calculated to make you friends.

Most of us, including myself, have fought for our lives when we first come here, and this IS a newcomers forum.

You had a good experience today? Yep, I had a few of those too - just couldn't pick where or when that would be. To be frank, I got a lot better when I stopped trying altogether.

D
Old 06-21-2009, 08:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

As long as your goal is long term sobriety...I'm here for you man.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was not trying to be holier than though. But I must admit I was confused by your post. You were not going to post that you are weak or lost, but there is nothing wrong with doing so and many of us here have made those very posts. Maybe I mistook your post as being holier than thou, if that was not the case, my apologizes. To say that someone is strong because they can drink "once in a while" gave me the impression that those who know they cannot are weak. I just disagree. Again, sorry if you took my post as being holier than thou.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Originally Posted by ThirstForLife View Post
I drank tonight. It was Fathers day. My family got together and we celebrated. Do I feel guilty? nope. I'm not about to post that I am weak and lost. I know exactly what I have done and know my mistakes. I'm not about to throw away all the accomplishments I have made. If people want to look down on me....so be it. But I know I am strong and have been that way for a while. Just want to post for those that drink once in a while...that are strong... it happens. We're all human. No one's perfect and no one ever will be.
Guess I'm not really sure where you are going with this either. This is a site where people come who have problems drinking. If you don't have a problem drinking, that's great!! My question for you then is, "why are your here?"

If your goal is moderation, I guess that's cool. Doesn't seem to work for those who label themselves as alcoholics, but maybe you don't consider yourself an alcoholic. If you are just saying that you are not going to beat yourself up for making a mistake, that is fine too. I dont' think people should feel guilty about making mistakes, as long as they learn from them. But that is not the impression I get from your post. The impression I got is that you are "strong" so you can choose when to drink and when not to. If that is indeed the case, then once again, kudos, doesn't sound like you are an alcoholic. But to kind of rub it into the faces of those of us who DO have a problem drinking is really kinda rude, especially in the newcomers forum.

I hope whatever you are doing works out for you. To be honest with you, I probably could have drank with my family tonight if I had really wanted to, but why would I post about it here?? I'm a binge drinker, so a drink here or there really doesn't set me off, but I CHOOSE not to drink because it really serves no useful purpose in my life. Maybe tonight I just have one or two drinks, but for me, it plants that seed in my head that it's OK for me to drink, and history has proven that to be incorrect, in my case.

Anyway, hope you had a good Father's Day. Take care.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ditto to what Dee said.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Soft & Silky & Manageable

Everything I would've written to you has already been posted.

Maybe you should check out Moderation Management if that is your goal.

Either way, good luck in your decision and best wishes mate