Notices

Brand new to this

Old 06-21-2009, 03:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Brand new to this

Hi... I have been struggling with alcohol for the past few years, following my divorce at the age of 43. The stress of life and 3 kids led me to start drinking wine ... at first I had it under control. It was a nice transition after a rough day. However, slowly but surely, it got out of control. I could seldom stop at a half bottle of wine and needed to drink the whole thing. I did this on the average of 3-4 times per week and always felt like crap in the morning. I knew it was only me poisoning myself and I wanted so badly to stop. Today I feel the strength to try again... it is day 1 of sobriety! This website seems great and like a life saver. I know I need to save my life before I get any worse. Alcoholism is a horrible thing. I am also trying some counseling, hypnosis CDs and reading books to stop drinking. I want to feel good again and I want my life back. I like feeling like I'm not alone in my struggle!

Last edited by hopeful999; 06-21-2009 at 03:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-21-2009, 03:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Welcome to SR, Hopeful!!!

Glad you found us! There are so many wonderful and helpful people here. Take a look around and read the stickies at the top of this forum. Much useful information is there. You can do this!!! (((HUGS)))
Old 06-21-2009, 03:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, I feel better already!!!
Old 06-21-2009, 03:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Hopeful

Like Suki said, this is a great place to be - lots of support and advice.
I think you'll like it

D
Old 06-21-2009, 04:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Hopeful,

You are definitely not alone.

I began to use alcohol to self-medicate when I was in my mid-forties. It seemed like everything came together - difficult job, two teenagers, a husband who travelled a lot, increasing insomnia and depression, and for sure, alcohol helped for a little while. But, that's horrible lure of this disease. It gets you hooked and then it controls you.

I'm glad you are seeking help. I found books very helpful to me in my recovery.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Welcome to the SR community!!

Having one day sober is a great beginning!
Attending A.A. meetings could also help you.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I feel lucky to have stumbled upon this website! It is hard for me to make AA meetings due to my job and taking care of the kids most of the time, so this is nice because it's always here. I will try to make meetings when I can.

It is wonderful to feel that I'm not alone. I have felt VERY alone in my struggle for a long time as I have not been able to talk to anyone about it.

Alcohol addiction is so strange. When I was in my teens and 20's, I was a bit of a problem drinker -- binge drinking. Then in my 30's I had no trouble at all! I never even got drunk and could drink in moderation. Suddenly I find myself in my mid-forties worse off than ever before. When I drink, I usually get drunk by myself and do the STUPIDEST things. Like contacting old boyfriends and telling them I miss them... Ugghhhh. In the morning I always dread trying to remember what I did the night before and seeing the train wreck of the e-mail trail I left behind. I am hurting myself physically and psychologically to keep doing this. An endless cycle and a hellish nightmare. I cannot sleep well when I drink heavily and have horrible dreams.

This is a very fortunate thing for me to find help here. And to start on June 21st, the beginning of summer. What better gift could I give myself?
Old 06-21-2009, 07:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Soft & Silky & Manageable

Glad to have you with us hopeful :ghug3

As people have said, you'll find everything you need here and you'll have a wonderful time.

I don't think there are many gifts that can top the gift of sobriety to a struggling addict
Old 06-21-2009, 07:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Dear Hopeful, I cannot emphasize enough the importance of you going to an AA meeting. I realize that the program doesn't work for everyone, but most of those that it doesn't work for never gave it a chance. You are an alcoholic with 3 children. Continuing to drink will only cause bad things to happen, and I'm too tired to go into them tonight. So please just take my word for it for now. And in all my years of drinking and being sober I've never seen anything good happen to anyone because they drank. So please, get to a meeting. I know you have a job and responsibilities toward your children, but I think if you want to badly enough, you'll find a way to get there. Books, hypnosis, homeopathic remedies, vitamins, etc etc are all well and good, but they will not provide you with a program that will enable you to achieve and maintain sobriety. AA has saved thousands of lives, and I'm one of them. Give it a chance, I think you'll be glad you did.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice... yes, I have been to an AA meeting. It did not work the first time, but I think that's no reason to give up on it totally. For me, I think I need a combination of weapons to tackle this.... including books, individual counseling, CDs and reading these posts along with AA meetings when I can. The fact that this is website is available all the time is GREAT making it easier for people like me who can't get out at night very easily. Just reaching out to others is a HUGE step forward. I am motivated by hearing other people's stories on here -- thanks!
Old 06-21-2009, 08:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome hopeful. I see you are reading books on the subject that is a good idea. Another useful idea is exercise and nutrition, also relaxation techniques and meditation.

Good luck.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by hopeful999
I am also trying some counseling, hypnosis CDs and reading books to stop drinking.
From what my experiences have been this is a fanatic start of your recovery journey. I might like to recommend a recovery resource that has been incalculable to my recovery. it's SMART Recovery, Here you can check out the tools of SMART.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome hopeful999, glad to have you here. I look forward to seeing you grow into your recovery with us :ghug3
Old 06-22-2009, 02:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I got sober in D.C. and I know there are meetings
at noon. in the Metro area. That might be possible for you.
Call 202-966-9115.---AA Central Office
(Hope this number is still correct..I've relocated)

Here is a link to excerpts from the book that finally got me
to quit drinking.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

Do keep posting....glad you are here....
Old 06-22-2009, 06:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hopeful, we're in similar places in life. Middle-aged parents relying on alcohol as an affordable thrill to get us through the day. But it's like joedris said: "In all my years of drinking and being sober I've never seen anything good happen to anyone because they drank." Hopeful, do you ever regret NOT drinking? I sure as hell don't. I'm only at 41 days but I've gotten past some tough summer challenges by reminding myself that as much as I want that drink NOW, I'll be even happier and better LATER by not drinking. I wake up in the morning, and even on blue days I remind myself, "At least I'm sober."

You need to break out of your routine for starters, and do whatever it takes to get through the first week. You can do it.