SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Laughter is the Best Medicine (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/178756-laughter-best-medicine.html)

frstnm 06-19-2009 08:34 PM

Laughter is the Best Medicine

I just got my year medalions/ keychains from AA and NA.
I really didnt think it would ever be possible.
How much this disease costs us, our families and friends.
One of the biggest things it has taken from me is time and health.
My name is frst I am an alcoholic and a drug addict.

One of the guys I know from SR has closed his page.
I now need a place for people to gather, share the ups and downs of life and sobriety and dont forget to throw in some humor.
I need all of your support to stay clean and sober.

:thanks

Dee74 06-20-2009 02:06 AM

Congrats on yr one year frst :a122:
thats awesome, mate :D

D

Rusty Zipper 06-20-2009 02:53 AM

way to frstnm!

congratulations, and all the hard work you put into it! :c011:

and

Hell Yeah!!!

Believe808 06-20-2009 05:47 AM

Congratulations on your 1 year sober.

HideorSeek 06-20-2009 05:59 AM

There is a "living Sober" thread, frstnm, and the people there are simply wonderful. BTW, I LOVE your ? (whatever it's called) "I am not crazy, and neither am I".

Congrats on your year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

firestorm090 06-20-2009 06:23 AM

Congrats on one year!! :You_Rock_

Pelican 06-20-2009 06:36 AM

Congratulations on your Year clean and sober! Good on you!

Check our our follies section, it's sure to give you a chuckle!

Recovery Follies - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Dime 06-20-2009 06:41 AM

Congrats on the year!!!

Did you ever try chat here. Sometimes it is very serious but sometimes we laugh like crazy.

least 06-20-2009 06:44 AM

Congrats on one year!:bday7

:ghug3

CarolD 06-20-2009 08:55 AM

:day

frstnm 06-21-2009 02:52 PM

Getting sober and staying that way has been the toughest thing I have ever done.
Today wasnt a good day though.
For those who dont know, I dont drive and Im on my last 2 1/2 months of license suspension.
Since I got sober, I have relapsed once in 22 months, have given up a 6 figure job that I could walk to (if I could walk w/o my legs going numb), been deemed disabled, gone on welfare and gone through more sponsors than I can count, scheduled and scheduled again surgery that I have been waiting 10 years for them to ok to get done.

I wake up every day planning my day around meetings, coping w chronic pain, loneliness, abandonment issues depression and anxiety.
Most days are ok. Today is almost over.
Tomorrow is a new day.
I WILL NOT USE TODAY.

frstnm 06-21-2009 02:53 PM

Im hoping some people from a couple of other daily support threads and all others will find my post and join me on my journey.

:ghug

suki44883 06-21-2009 02:58 PM

Congratulations on one year sober!! :hug: :a122:

NewBeginning010 06-21-2009 03:05 PM

Congrats on 1 year... thats fantastic! :scoregood

This is a funny story

The Husband Store

A store that sells new husbands has opened in New York City , where a woman may go to choose a husband. Among the instructions at the entrance is a description of how the store operates:

You may visit this store ONLY ONCE! There are six floors and the value of the products increase as the shopper ascends the flights. The shopper may choose any item from a particular floor, or may choose to go up to the next floor, but you cannot go back down except to exit the building!

So, a woman goes to the Husband Store to find a husband. On the first floor the sign on the door reads:

Floor 1 - These men Have Jobs.
She is intrigued, but continues to the second floor, where the sign reads:

Floor 2 - These men Have Jobs and Love Kids.
'That's nice,' she thinks, 'but I want more.'
So she continues upward. The third floor sign reads:

Floor 3 - These men Have Jobs, Love Kids, and are Extremely Good Looking.
'Wow,' she thinks, but feels compelled to keep going.
She goes to the fourth floor and the sign reads:

Floor 4 - These men Have Jobs, Love Kids, are Drop-dead Good Looking and Help With Housework.
'Oh, mercy me!' she exclaims, 'I can hardly stand it!'
Still, she goes to the fifth floor and the sign reads:

Floor 5 - These men Have Jobs, Love Kids, are Drop-dead Gorgeous, Help with Housework, and Have a Strong Romantic Streak.
She is so tempted to stay, but she goes to the sixth floor, where the sign reads:

Floor 6 - You are visitor 31,456,012 to this floor. There are no men on this floor. This floor exists solely as proof that women are impossible to please. Thank you for shopping at the Husband Store.

frstnm 06-21-2009 07:57 PM

Dont I know it ! lol
Wish I knew 25 years ago what Im starting to sort of get an understanding @ 40 !
:c032:

Aysha 06-21-2009 08:06 PM

Great job on One Year!!

Laughter is the cure all for me. I am nothing if I dont have humor.
I am grateful I have friends and family that love to laugh and make jokes alot. My uncle is such a clown. my friends are clowns too. I guess I am one as well.
I will joke about any and everything.
It is one of the best feelings in the world when you laugh so hard it hurts.
And humor is very very humbling IMO.
Keep up the work.

frstnm 06-22-2009 10:55 AM

LAughing is actually therapudic for me. I really struggle w depression and a month of rain isnthelping.

Anyone got any good jokes or good things happening in your life ?

:rotfxko

frstnm 06-22-2009 10:56 AM

Gyps was lurking......

frstnm 06-24-2009 04:17 PM

Y"esterdayu I bought a couch. I measured 2x and it would have fit. The dudes just didnt want to even try to get it outta the truck, much less see if we could get it in.
I was all set to take off the door frame. THEY said no. What do they care its not them Im renting off and I am able to put it back on - probably better than original and definetly more sturdy.
I double checked it this morning and if the driver wasnt in such a rush and cranky I would have taken off the door casing (which happens to be already loose).
So It cost me $40 and a massive headache dealing w a guy that hates everything, spews his insane political views tirelessly, and says people like me and a few select individuals are part of the problem in this country (among other insults,comments and remarks) and carries guns into work and wonders why he got fired ! DUUUUUUHHHHHH!!!!!!

Lesson Learned- I dont need to hang around this guy if he makes me feel less than, incompetent, worthless and stupid.
In my OPINION he is F'ing stupid and "Ya cant fix STOOPID !!"
I am still powerless against people, places and things.

I have to accept the fact that I cant to the driving as a result of my actions and I am at the mercy of people who are willing to help.

I may have to accept it,
But, I DONT HAVE TO LIKE IT !

frstnm 06-24-2009 04:22 PM

Today was better - I slept all day. Course I was up all night I was so po'd.

shelly009 06-24-2009 04:22 PM

Thats AWESOME!! Good job man!

I have a joke for you:

Here it goes : Two muffins are sitting in the oven, one muffin says to the other muffin "boy its hot in here" Other muffin says " AH a talking muffin!!"

frstnm 06-24-2009 04:31 PM

thats a good start. a little less than a rib tickler but it made me smile.
What else ya got ??

shelly009 06-24-2009 04:33 PM

Ha haaa, actually I am terrible at jokes. My 3 year old neighbor told me that one.. he tells it better.

frstnm 06-24-2009 04:52 PM

On some of the other daily support threads there have been some, we'll say racy jokes, stories, (horror stories too ) and comments. Im not saying its necessary of course......but we are all adults (cept your 3 yr old)
Not forgetting the endless, harmless, banter and support for those who struggle and have become "friends" via SR.

Its all meant to be trying to laugh in the face of this evil disease.

Does your daughter have any R rated jokes ? I hear they grow up quick these days ! LOL:c033:

Dee74 06-24-2009 05:03 PM

The aspiring psychiatrists were attending their first class on emotional extremes. "Just to establish some parameters," said the professor to the student from Arkansas, "What is the opposite of joy?"

"Sadness," said the student.

And the opposite of depression?" he asked of the young lady from Oklahoma.

"Elation," said she.

"And you sir," he said to the young man from Texas, "how about the opposite of woe?"

The Texan replied, "Sir, I believe that would be giddy-up."

:scoregood
LOL

D

NewBeginning010 06-24-2009 05:52 PM

Hopefully not too racey for us adults

A Dog Story

A couple was going out for the evening. They'd gotten ready, all dolled-up , dog put out, etc. The taxi arrives and as they start out, the dog shoots back in the house. They don't want the dog shut in, so the wife goes out to the taxi while the husband goes upstairs to chase the dog out. The wife, not wanting it known that the house will be empty explains to the taxi driver, "He's just going upstairs to say good-bye to my mother."

A few minutes later, the husband gets into the cab. "Sorry I took so long" he says. "Stupid bitch was hiding under the bed and I had to poke her with a coat hanger to get her to come out! Then I had to wrap her in a blanket to keep her from scratching and biting me as I hauled her arse downstairs and tossed her out in the back yard! She better not **** in the vegetable garden again!"

The silence in the cab was deafening.

frstnm 06-25-2009 11:55 AM

THAT'S what Im talkin 'bout !
Now stop making me laugh out loud. Im trying to harbor a resentment against someone who was supposed to take me out recliner shopping AND the dude who helped me get a couch to my apt and then all he would say is nope doesnt fit lets bring it back.
Its working...

frstnm 06-25-2009 11:56 AM

Hi Funky Greeter Dude...
Is that an Aussie Redneck joke ?
:c014:

Dee74 06-25-2009 03:11 PM

LOL there's probably a local variant, but I googled.

:e052:

lol
D

frstnm 06-26-2009 12:08 PM

I never did see the problem with a refrigerator on the front porch. Who cares if it works or not......
I dId find my old car when I mowed the lawn...
And yes, I drive a truck and have a gun rack. But I put my fishing rods and a level on it rather than guns.

The State of (M)Assachusetts doesnt think that is a good idea any more. lol.