Notices

We search our conscience for resentments and face them

Old 06-19-2009, 04:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

We search our conscience for resentments and face them

Today's thought from Hazelden is:

The human heart in its perversity finds it hard to escape hatred and revenge.
--Moses Luzzatto

This program promises many rewards for those who follow it, but it does not promise to be easy. We search our conscience for resentments and face them. None of us can progress in our recovery while holding onto resentments, old angers, and hatreds. When we hold them, we protect dark corners of our souls from the renewal we need. As we allow ourselves to be made new through this program, we no longer reserve those small corners for the game of power and resentment. They will eventually consume us and justify in our minds a return to the old patterns.

Nothing can be held back. We must be willing to surrender all - even if we do not know how. No one can stop being resentful simply by deciding to stop. When we are willing to be honest, to be humble, to be learners, to be led in a constructive direction, to allow time to be guided rather than seek instant cure, then we will learn trust and will surely make progress.

I do not need to know exactly how to let go of my resentments or what will happen after I do. I simply must be ready to let them go.

from the book:
touchstones
Old 06-19-2009, 11:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing this! I am having trouble with a resentment right now, and this reminded me that the main person I am hurting by holding on to it is myself! Thanks again for posting! Jomey